Windstone Appraisals (What is my Windstone worth?)

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Windstone Appraisals (What is my Windstone worth?)

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    Setsunawolf
    Participant

Hey all. Does anyone have an idea what the price of an Amethyst OW would be? Or know anyone who is looking for one?

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
      Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
      Sun Dragon Koi #3

Kujacker
      Participant

How do y’all figure prices? I really do miss that database we use to have… made selling pieces easier.
        I have a sitting and rising peacock spectral that I’m interested in selling, but have no idea their worth. I tried reverse searching on ebay (what has sold), but it wasn’t exactly useful… there were only a couple listings, and… $300 for a sitting just sounds like way too much to me. Maybe I was just searching incorrectly?

LZ
        Participant

Set your price. If it doesn’t sell for what you want, and you really want it gone, drop the price a little. Keep doing that until it sells. $300 for the sitter seems much, but more appropriate for the riser to start.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

pipsxlch
          Participant

I think I’d ask $350, no less than $300 for the riser, but more like $150, $200 max for the sitting. The sitting pops up fairly often, you may end up having to go down to $125. The riser rarely seems to be offered though, and your experience as a shipper is worth something (and worth mentioning) to me.

I think there have been a lot of wishful sellers on eBay recently. Sorry but I doubt that dirty peacock hatcher will sell for $110!

Stephanie
            Participant

Nothing wrong with asking for what you want on eBay! You never know how much someone will want something. I’ve seen a few surprises recently, and if you’re not in a hurry it doesn’t hurt to try.

Brenda Z
              Participant

If I purchased a Windstone test paint on eBay and Melody decided to started painting that color as a limited paint, will my test paint be worth more or less?

Setsunawolf
                Participant

Depends on the color scheme. Some of the eBay pieces are worth a little more as they come with COAs.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                  Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                  Sun Dragon Koi #3

Nightcrow
                  Participant

For all test pieces, the answer is ultimately going to be “it depends on who’s buying,” but I’d say that a test color becoming a production color generally means you won’t be able to sell the test paint for what you paid for it. The more closely it resembles the production version, the less people are going to be willing to pay (after all, they could get a brand-new production piece straight from the company for $x, so why pay more than x for something that looks about the same?)

Some test paints look very close to the production color (like Silver or Black Sunset), while others look quite different (like Pastel Rainbow, Wolf), and some are in between (like BVP). The more differences, the more likely you are to be able to push the price up a bit, but I can’t imagine (for example) anyone being willing to buy my BVP test paint OW for $635 when they can get a regular-run BVP OW for less than half that! Not that I intend to ever part with him. 🙂

If they’re really different, it’s more likely there will be people who like the test version but not the production version, and are willing to pay more for it.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

I’ve been on this end of the spectrum before… in my case my piece was rendered a lot less valuable in my opinion, but it does depend on who may want it. I paid a large amount for the original ebay version of the Red Panda Flap Cat. Then it was released into the store shortly after I won due to many MANY squeaks. Now my piece probably wouldn’t sell for much more then what the store price was if I decided to sell it. In Windstone’s defense though I wouldn’t sell it anyway. The detail on mine I think it much better then the store version. The fronts and backs of the wings on mine have nice individual detailing and on the store version it’s just the show side with airbrushed bands across the bottom parts of the wings. So, again. I wouldn’t get my investment back, but I’m still happy I won the piece, even if she cost 3 times as much ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

SkiaEsh
                      Participant

Hello, I am new here and was wondering what some of the older colors were worth in very good or like new condition. I was interested in ruby, emerald, and peacock dragons in various molds, but the Ebay prices seem all over the place.

pipsxlch
                        Participant

Hi SkiaEsh, eBay prices certainly are crazy!
                          Your rubies could be worth a fair bit; they are rather uncommon on the secondary market. Since Windstone had problems with the paint used, they weren’t produced for long, and are considered quite desirable in very good condition.
                          Emeralds were produced for longer, and generally aren’t worth quite as much as rubies on the secondary market. They are still a lovely color that many people seek, however. And if yours have orange eyes and yellowish jewels instead of red eyes and jewels, they actually are pretty rare and valuable.
                          Peacocks are the most common color on the secondary market, and were produced longer than any other color scheme. As such, they tend to retain the least value of the three colors. A nice one in great condition can still sell well, however.
                          Which sculpt they are plays a big part in value, of course. A peacock spectral may sell for as much as a ruby male, since the sculpt itself is more uncommon.
                          Lastly, your experience as a seller packing and shipping can heavily influence price. Windstones don’t ship well, if you aren’t willing to take extra care in the packing. If a buyer tells you how they want it shipped, understand they’ve probably been burned before and listen to experienced shippers when they try to help. In a nutshell, you need to double box and use LOTS of bubblewrap and peanuts, not paper, for packing. Don’t put more than 1 piece in an inner box either, and be careful about more than 1 larger piece together even with separate inner boxes.

SkiaEsh
                          Participant

Thanks for letting me know, especially in terms of cautioning me on on how they should be shipped. I actually was looking to buy these sets, but completely forgot to type that. Sorry about that.

etruscan
                            Participant

Ebay prices are all over the place as you said. Unless you are in a hurry to build your collection I would suggest watching the ebay prices for a while. This will give you a feel for prices and for which pieces show up less frequently. You also will be able to recognize a bargain when one pops up! Then decide what price you want to pay and buy the pieces that meet your criteria.

It is a slower way to get the dragons you want, but you will save money in the long run. Most of us can tell stories of paying way too much for something simply because we didn’t want to wait.

pipsxlch
                              Participant

If you aren’t eyeballing specific pieces at specific auctions and are willing to be patient, I’d also recommend Craigslist/ Kijiji. They pop up- in my area at least- not frequently, but not super rare. Many sellers here will be willing to take a lesser price, and you don’t have to worry about shipping. Search ‘Pena’ (on eBay or wherever also, a good way to find hidden auctions) and ‘Dragon/Dragons’ as well as Windstone. Not all sellers will mention the brands especially where they have mixed lots, or are selling at a garage sale. Check the photos!

Maybe you can enlist friends and relatives out of your area to help? Or check in areas you will be traveling to or through?

Possibly check less common sales sites too, like Mercari, ShopGoodwill, or Offer Up. And thrift stores/ antique, consignment, resale shops/ pawn shops are also places they sometimes turn up. Good luck, and we’d love to see what you find!

SkiaEsh
                                Participant

Wow, you have a lot of good ideas I had not thought of- I will definitely keep an eye out and post some pictures. Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 212 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.