Windstone Appraisals (What is my Windstone worth?)

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Windstone Appraisals (What is my Windstone worth?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    Pam

Trying to find out how much your Windstone sculpture is worth? The first thing you need to know is what sculpture and color you have. If you are not sure, check out the Windstone Identification Thread.

It is also helpful to know whether or not your Windstone is retired. Retired sculptures and colors are often worth more than those that are still being made. Windstone Editions has also produced special Limited Production, Limited Edition, Artist Edition, and Test Paint pieces that could be more valuable, due to their rarity.

Note: Condition will have an effect on value! Windstones that are in mint condition (clean, and with no chips, cracks, breaks, paint scuffs, fading, repairs, etc) will be worth more than non-mint Windstones.

If your Windstone is still being made (and if it isn’t a Limited Production color), you can check Windstone Edition’s online store to find out its retail price. Your Windstone will be worth about that price or less, depending in its condition (if you own a Limited Production color, its retail price may also be listed in the store, but yours could be worth more if the store lists it as “out of stock”).

If you own a Windstone that is retired, or that is an “out of stock” Limited production color, you can get an estimate of it’s value by researching past selling prices on eBay. Here are two ways to do that:

Searchable Windstone sales price Database – This fan-made database records the prices that Windstones have sold for on eBay in recent years, including Regular and Limited Production items, and special Limited Edition, Artist Edition, and Test Paint items. To use the search function, change the dropdown to “ALL” instead of “SPECIAL”, and then type in a single keyword (the search wont find any results if you use more than one word). The database also has separate entries for “mint” and “non-mint” items. Once you find your Windstone in the database, you will need to look at it’s average price. Prices tend to fluctuate from year to year, and the average prices listed in this database may not always reflect current worth, but it’s a good place to start.

eBay – eBay keeps searchable records of its most recent completed listings. First, do a very general search for your Windstone using just one or two keywords (i.e., “windstone dragon” or “windstone unicorn”). After clicking search, look for a list of additional search options on the left. Click the “Completed listings” option (under “Show only”). This will cause ebay to search recently completed listings for your keywords. Look through the results for Windstones that match yours. Prices will be shown in either green or red. Red means that the item ended with no bids.

If you are still having trouble finding the value of your Windstone, you can ask for help by posting in this thread.

Laurie
      Participant

Very nice, Good job Pam, and I know this is a sticky. 😉 (see it is.) They give you a raise yet? lol

Jana, are you still doing this?
        has it been updated?

Please tell me if I missed something. I’m a blonde sometimes. 😉

A trick for Windstones that were originally sold by the factory on eBay, but at a date later than the Ravnheart database covers:

I recently needed to know the original price of one of the Stray Cat Edition small flap cats that Melody had done a while back. Searching the forum for the cat’s name (or the phrase “Stray Cat Edition”) brings up whole threads, some of them far too large to search efficiently. I took the search to Google, where I could pull up the same threads and go directly to the referenced post instead. By doing this, I found the piece I was looking for described in a thread–in this case, the Ebay cart thread, but one from two years ago when the piece was first sold.

Using the date on the posts I found, I then went to eBay, brought up the Windstone Editions profile, and began searching through feedback. Each feedback has the title of the auction, which typically includes the name of the piece. Because I knew from the posts approximately when this one had been released, I could quickly skip over multiple pages of feedback at a time until I got to around the the correct time period. Sure enough, from there, it took only a couple of minutes to find the feedback for that auction–and the original price paid.

Obviously, it’s a little more digging than just searching Ravnheart, but between Google and eBay, I had the original price in under five minutes. For stuff that you know was first sold on eBay and can’t immediately get a value on elsewhere, it’s not a bad way to search.

Adaneth
        Participant

What a great suggestion, Joliesdragons! I forgot about the feedback list having prices going back forever. I’m still mourning the days when ‘ended auction’ searches could go back 3 months. :p

Tara
          Participant

What a great suggestion, Joliesdragons! I forgot about the feedback list having prices going back forever. I’m still mourning the days when ‘ended auction’ searches could go back 3 months. :p

You can still search 3 months back on ebay. You just do a search like normal and then on the left side check the box that says “Completed Listings”. All the current listings are replaced with everything that’s ended in the past 3 months. It works for individual sellers as well.

WolfenMachine
            Participant

Ravenheart’s is very outdated. And it doesn’t have all of the resale values. For instance, the flame old warriors originally sold for $300-$600 ish but I bought mine third hand for $1200 and re sold him for $1900

Adaneth
              Participant

You can still search 3 months back on ebay. You just do a search like normal and then on the left side check the box that says “Completed Listings”. All the current listings are replaced with everything that’s ended in the past 3 months. It works for individual sellers as well.

OK, I’m obviously out of date! :p There were a couple years where ‘Completed Listings’ searches only went back a month, or even two weeks. I’m glad they’ve increased the duration again.

nacglasscastles
                Participant

I am having a hard time finding prices for some of my retired Windstone pieces. I need a price for the Mushroom Candle Lamp (retired in 2004), the Male Griffin in the retired “wolf” color and the price for the Female Griffin, also in the retired “wolf” coloring.

etruscan
                  Participant

I am having a hard time finding prices for some of my retired Windstone pieces. I need a price for the Mushroom Candle Lamp (retired in 2004), the Male Griffin in the retired “wolf” color and the price for the Female Griffin, also in the retired “wolf” coloring.

Do you need the price they sold for, or what you might get for them today?

nacglasscastles
                    Participant

What I can get for them today.

Kiya
                      Participant

Current pricing will depend on condition partially, but the mushroom candle lamp went for $63 on ebay recently:

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=mushroom+windstone&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Retired male griffins on ebay seem to be going for between $80-$120 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windstone-Edition-MALE-GRIFFIN-by-M-Pena-/130657615383?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6bccfe17#ht_500wt_1182

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-1988-PENA-WindStone-Winged-Edition-Brown-Blue-Male-Griffin-Stamped-/120880676325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c250cbde5#ht_500wt_1182

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windstone-Editions-Griffin-Engraved-dated-artist-Melody-Pena-1989-Beautiful-/251005413617?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7116a8f1#ht_500wt_1182

The last female griffin was only sold for $46, but one a few weeks prior went up into the $80s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windstone-Edition-FEMALE-GRIFFIN-by-M-Pena-/130657616273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6bcd0191#ht_500wt_1182

Wolf isn’t an ultra rare color and was fairly recently retired, so I would think at or below store price is probably about what you can expect depending on condition. However, you might get lucky and find someone who really wants them and will pay more. 🙂

Good luck!

pegasus4240
                        Participant

Do Ebay pieces, generally, hold their value? I have a curled dragon painted and signed by Melody and just wondering what’s the best way to go about selling it. Thanks.

-- Angie

Kiya
                          Participant

Do Ebay pieces, generally, hold their value? I have a curled dragon painted and signed by Melody and just wondering what’s the best way to go about selling it. Thanks.

It really depends on the ebay piece. They usually will get close to what you paid for them, but some were bought for such inflated prices you probably won’t get that back.

I’d advise posting it for a minimum bid of what you paid and taking bids for a set period of time. Or putting it back on ebay.

Amy
                            Participant

Does anyone know how much and old green emperor is worth? Non mint, but just a couple chips on the back of the head.

Nina
                              Participant

Is the database still working? Every time I try to search for something, like say the Male Dragon in Rainbow or The Male Kirin it comes back with nothing 🙁

Trying to get the value on a lot of my Windstone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 212 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.