WHINE is Served II

Home Forums Miscellany Community WHINE is Served II

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 1,041 total)
  • Author
    Pegasi1978
    Participant

With hubby getting the promotion it of course means we have to move, which means packing. Of course the state parks isn’t paying anything for the relocation, so it falls on us. Thank goodness for tax returns. In an effort to save money we are doing it ourselves rather than hiring movers.

Well in order to pack you need space and time. Space has been a bit of an issue for us because we have five people living in a three bedroom house. Add the fact that we are/were voracious readers and that adds up to lots of books that don’t take up as much space when they are on shelves as the do when they are in boxes. Same thing when it comes to music, movies and video games.

He’s already run two loads of things to the new house and we still don’t have much room to pack. We’ve been meaning to purge some items anyway, but life has been getting in the way and now I’m afraid some of the items for purging have been packed.

The other thing you need in order to pack – time – I don’t have. I work an hour away by car every day and we have been on mandatory overtime since the second week of January…and not just 5-10 hours overtime. I’ve been managing 15 to 20 hours each week. I’ll drive to work, do 8 hours, pick up the youngest from daycare before it closes, drive home, eat dinner, then log in remotely for a few more hours during the week as well as on Saturday. I’m exhausted.

My husband had been told by his current park he could take comp time and personal leave to pack, yet they keep asking him to come in when he isn’t on the schedule. They need to learn to do things without him because come April 1 he’s gone. Like they had an issue with one of their systems the other day and who was the one on the phone troubleshooting it – him rather than any of the others who are still going to be here using the system. Also, his parks are small enough that he won’t have to use this system so it was even more idiotic that he was the one doing so.

Right now I have only packed one dish barrel with windstones. Based on how that box looked after being in storage I worry some about the others. The storage building we have here has a board that is almost completely gone on the bottom one one side and the door doesn’t close completely so it is not watertight or critter proof. I had two boxes inside the box where I had the throw out the corn starch packing peanuts because they got damp over the years and shrunk and hardened. Not to mention all the debris I’m having to clean off the boxes.

We looked into getting a pod for the move, but all the costs associated were ridiculous, so are packing what we can and making runs until we get the uhaul and move the big ticket items, hoping that the little runs provide enough room in the uhaul for everything else.

Stephanie
      Participant

Ugh, that all sounds so stressful! Hang in there!

merrillannwhite
        Participant

GardenNinja, I am sorry for your and your family’s loss. With the prospect of dementia it can be better to pass quickly no matter what your beliefs.

Pegasi, the new job is great news, but moving is always a pain. You never realize how much stuff you have until you move. I hope everything goes smoothly for the rest of your packing and move.

Stephanie
          Participant

So sorry, GardenNinja. Seeing this a bit late but I am sorry and am thinking of you and your family.

Bodine
            Participant

Good luck on your new future Pegasi.May life be sweet.Don’t sweat the other stuff.Congrats on the new job,hubby,and for you,you are AWESOME.YOU GOT THIS👍

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Amy
              Participant

I’m sorry for your loss, GardenNinja.
                It sounds like you definitely made the right call though, especially considering what your dad had said about dementia back when he was still all there. My grandpa died from dementia after having it for several years. By the end he didn’t even recognize his wife of 59 years. It’s horrible for the sufferer (they’re scared and disoriented on a constant basis) and for the family (having to watch someone you love lose their mind).

I’m a teeny tiny bit religious, not super into it by any means, and I certainly won’t give any talk like that if it makes you uncomfortable. I think those that do are just trying to offer comfort in the way they are used to receiving it/in the way that is most meaningful to them. I don’t think they’re trying use it as an excuse to push religion on you. They probably don’t even know you’re an atheist. People tend to imagine that everyone else is like them, so they’d assume you’re religious too and would be happy/hoping to hear that kind of thing.

Anyway, I’m not trying to start anything. I’m sorry about your dad. I’m just glad he didn’t have to have a long, drawn out ordeal like my grandpa did. He’d thank you for that I’m sure. *hugs* I kind of wonder sometimes what my grandpa would have said about the whole thing if he could look back on it as his old self. I wonder if he’d have wanted to be put to sleep or something if that was legal. I’m sure he’d be embarrassed of his behavior. Some of the stuff he said and did was so out of character it was really heartbreaking to see.

Suzanne-Marie
                Participant

So sorry for your loss GardenNinja
                  Most Sincerely

GardenNinja
                  Participant

That is exactly the problem. They don’t know. They don’t know me. I don’t want to tell them – atheism horrifies many people around here, and/or triggers a flood of ignorant questions.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

dragonmedley
                    Participant

Here’s a whine: end of winter (I won’t call it spring, it’s so not that) and flash melting! Where the snow melts because of sudden high temps (+ 10 C) and it rains, but the ice underneath can’t melt yet.

Results, basement flooding!

The good side is that we got to clean out a lot of stuff that we were keeping just in case, but haven’t touched in over 5 years. My owl bookend box bit the bullet, though, but I was able to save my Spring dragon box.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Stephanie
                      Participant

Yikes! Flooding is so scary to me. It can cause so much damage.

Amy
                        Participant

Flooding is very scary dragonmedley. I’m sorry your one box died, but at least the other one survived. Kind of cool to go through stuff that has been in storage a while and see what goodies are hiding down there.

Amy
                          Participant

That is exactly the problem. They don’t know. They don’t know me. I don’t want to tell them – atheism horrifies many people around here, and/or triggers a flood of ignorant questions.

Yeah. Probably easier not to tell them. I doubt any good will come of it. Better to be anonymous than “that atheist lady”. I guess I just hope that you have enough of a support network to help you through this tough time. It’s hard not having people in “real” life (and I’m kind of talking out my butt here. For all I know you have like 20 very close friends, but if you’re anything like me you’re pretty much alone outside of your family), but hey, at least your Windstone buddies are here for you, right? 😉

I’m not always the most tactful. I hope I’m not putting my foot in my mouth/just making things worse for you.

Bodancia
                            Participant

GardenNinja – I am so sorry to see of your fathers passing. I lost my father a few years ago, and the loss was incredibly hard. As it turns out I have been away for the last two weeks, due to a death in my family. A dear brother-in-law, who died suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack. I dropped everything and flew out to be with my sister. Death is so hard when it is someone that you love. You just try and do the things you know they would have wanted you to do and keep on going. All my best to you. So sorry.

Always looking for a lovely GB Young Unicorns, TP Male Dragons or TP Male Griffins!

Amy
                              Participant

Sorry for your loss, Bodancia. Condolences to your sister and her/your family.

Stephanie
                                Participant

I’m so sorry, Bodancia. It’s nice you were able to be there for your family during such a difficult time.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 1,041 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.