fbpx

E-bay "Strike"/ Boycott?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody E-bay "Strike"/ Boycott?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Azurielle
    Participant

hi there!
      I know this is a little off topic, and maybe not something you can answer, but I thought I would ask anyhow. Will Windstone be involved with/honoring the E-bay “strike” that will be occuring from Feb 18th to 25th? a lot of people, especially frequent sellers like myself, are angry about the changes E-bay is putting into effect, and are refraining from buying/selling/listing items during the aformentioned time period as a protest against these changes, especially the increase in final value fees, the removal of a sellers ability to leave any feedback other than positive, amongst other things. just curious as to what your, and the other forum members’s take on the situation will be.

Feel free to move this if there is a better section in the forum for it.

Keeper of the Fledgings

Azurielle
      Participant

Keeper of the Fledgings

Skigod377
        Participant

Sellers can only leave positive feedback? Thats ridiculous! And they already gouge us on the final value fee. 😕

Purplecat
          Participant

I already dodge ebay as much as possible…just because it can be so undependable…so any activity from me wouldnt impact much anyway.

Jodi
            Participant

That’s good to know. I didn’t realize there was going to be a strike. I was going to try to list some stuff today, but I think I’ll wait until after next week, so it won’t end during the strike.

Azurielle
              Participant

Here’s a copy of the message I recieved form Ebay on Jan 29th. It looks pretty good on the surface, right? Look closer, and clink on the links. Yes, some things have been lowered and made free, but for the most part, fees are going up. And it gets worse. They also recently announced that any seller with a feedback of less than 95% will have all payment held through paypal for 21 days! That means you have so ship out the item, but will not get paid for 21 days. Think it won’t affect you? all it take is one negative by a buyer, even an undeserved one(ex. buyer buys item, buyer doesn’t want to pay, buyer tells you to send item, or they will leave negative), and now you can’t recieve paypal payments for 21 days, you have no way to leave bad feedback for them, all of you listings are now no longer searchable…but the whole change is being targeted at making E-bayer safer and better for sellers. Here is a great blog on just what the changes will mean for sellers, and the strike itself.:

http://lavenderapple.livejournal.com/44941.html#cutid1

Link to E-bay changes: http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/rewards/index.html?ov=004KM

Message from E-bay————————————————————

Seller Update: Fees, Rewards & Standards
                eBay buyers want value and selection from sellers they can trust–and good sellers deserve rewards for delivering great customer service. That’s why we’re making a number of important changes that may affect you:

Reduced Listing Fees
                You asked, we listened. We’re reducing Insertion Fees and adjusting Final Value Fees to lower your up-front cost to sell on eBay. You wanted free Gallery, now you’ve got it–plus more feature discounts.
                Lower Insertion Fees
                Making Gallery free
                Lower fees for Gallery Plus, Picture Pack, and Feature Plus

Rewards for great sellers
                There will be discounts and incentives for those who satisfy customers best. Who decides who gets rewarded? Customers do, by giving sellers high Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs).
                More search exposure through Best Match
                Fee discounts for PowerSellers
                Increased protection for PowerSellers

Feedback Changes
                Significant changes coming soon will increase buyer confidence and showcase good sellers.
                Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.
                Positive repeat customer Feedback will count and Feedback more than 12 months old won’t.
                Negative and neutral Feedback left by the buyer will be removed for transactions in which a buyer doesn’t respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) or if the member is suspended.

For more details on how these changes may affect you, attend a special Seller Webinar at 10:00 a.m. this Friday, February 1. You may also see announcements from eBay executives on the Announcement Board.

Keeper of the Fledgings

Jodi
                Participant

I didn’t say it was going to affect me. I also didn’t say I agreed with the new rules. I said, I didn’t know about the strike/boycott, and won’t list items now that will end during it (basically, I’m honoring the strike/boycott).

My ebay store will be closed in May (1st, probably), so I’m hoping to get rid of all this stuff before then. So, I need to list stuff now, to unload it. Anyone interested in some nice clothing, Boyd’s bears/rabbits/cats? Ty Beanie Babies? Shoes?

Azurielle
                  Participant

emerald212 wrote:

I didn’t say it was going to affect me. I also didn’t say I agreed with the new rules. I said, I didn’t know about the strike/boycott, and won’t list items now that will end during it (basically, I’m honoring the strike/boycott).

My ebay store will be closed in May (1st, probably), so I’m hoping to get rid of all this stuff before then. So, I need to list stuff now, to unload it. Anyone interested in some nice clothing, Boyd’s bears/rabbits/cats? Ty Beanie Babies? Shoes?

I wasn’t trying to say anything bad, just wanted to post where I was getting my information from for those interested.

Keeper of the Fledgings

Jodi
                    Participant

azurielle wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

I wasn’t trying to say anything bad, just wanted to post where I was getting my information from for those interested.

Oh, ok. Sorry I jumped to conclusions. 😀

Melody
                      Keymaster

azurielle wrote:

hi there!
                        I know this is a little off topic, and maybe not something you can answer, but I thought I would ask anyhow. Will Windstone be involved with/honoring the E-bay “strike” that will be occuring from Feb 18th to 25th? a lot of people, especially frequent sellers like myself, are angry about the changes E-bay is putting into effect, and are refraining from buying/selling/listing items during the aformentioned time period as a protest against these changes, especially the increase in final value fees, the removal of a sellers ability to leave any feedback other than positive, amongst other things. just curious as to what your, and the other forum members’s take on the situation will be.

Feel free to move this if there is a better section in the forum for it.I don’t know. Personally I don’t mind paying for the service provided, if they want to charge whatever, we can just make the decision whether to continue using the service or not.
                        However the increased emphasis on the retail buyer at the expense of the seller’s rights on ebay is troubling. The story of “the Goose that laid the golden eggs” comes to mind.

Andrea
                        Participant

Wow.
                          I will certainly be participating in the strike.
                          I don’t sell a whole bunch, but what are they thinking?
                          Maybe it’s time for a new auction site…

I hope there is a large participation in the strike!

dragonmedley
                          Participant

purplecat wrote:

I already dodge ebay as much as possible…just because it can be so undependable…so any activity from me wouldnt impact much anyway.

Same here.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

lamortefille
                            Participant

Thanks for posting that, azurielle. It would probably be a good thing if you bumped this thread the day the strike starts.

Jennifer
                              Keymaster

Is this strike just sellers not listing/selling during this time, or are people going to refrain from bidding, too? *worried!!* 🙁

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                                My art: featherdust.com

Pegasi1978
                                Participant

From what I read it was asking people not to list and not to buy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.