fbpx

E-bay "Strike"/ Boycott?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody E-bay "Strike"/ Boycott?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    lamortefille
    Participant

skigod377 wrote:

I havent gotten one and I have pretty high feedback. Is that during the strike or right after? I will use it if I get it and its after πŸ˜†

Mine expires Feb. 28th.

Jasmine
      Participant

I didn’t get a coupon either, and my feedback is in the 500’s. πŸ˜•

Hi Blackdesertwind. No it was definately not just sent to sellers. I have only purchased on eBay.

It was slightly suspicious simply because of the time of the offer and when it ended, 2/28. Rather quick to use it if you ask me, not even 30 days.

Take care all.

~Hoofer has neighed.

I have 100% with 150 rating (though some of my buyers also havent left me feedback which would be positive; theyre being lazy). I didnt get the coupon. But I do find it suspect that ebay sends out this sale (or SOS) because Im sure theyve gotten wind of the strike and many ebayers, especially sellers, complaining to them about new rules. Betcha they are gonna amend them somehow.

And even if I did get the coupon, Im not falling into the trap of using it if it’s supposed to be used during Strike time. I dont care if I see a piece Ive been looking for, for ages. My concerns for my future with enay overall is paramount to the one piece.

frozendragon
        Participant

well…my sister has the paypal buyer credit…and credit card…and she got the coupon…

I don’t have either…and did not get the coupon..so maybe that has something to do with it…

Skigod377
          Participant

Blackdesertwind wrote:

I didn’t get one…was it sent to sellers only?

Im a seller, too.

Skigod377
            Participant

PhoenixTears wrote:

Im sure theyve gotten wind of the strike and many ebayers, especially sellers, complaining to them about new rules.

They know about the strike. They even commented on it. It was pretty much like everything would be buisness as usual after the week was up. They are billionaires. A few people striking will not hurt them. πŸ˜•

skigod377 wrote:

PhoenixTears wrote:

Im sure theyve gotten wind of the strike and many ebayers, especially sellers, complaining to them about new rules.

They know about the strike. They even commented on it. It was pretty much like everything would be buisness as usual after the week was up. They are billionaires. A few people striking will not hurt them. πŸ˜•

I agree but sometimes ppl can be so petty… you know the types… billionaires that will pummel you for .25Β’

it’s getting to the point that’s it’s not worth buying or selling on evilbay,and as a buyer/smaller seller for the past 7-years,with 1293 at 100 percent good feedback which i have worked hard for(and take my word for it some people can be such a pain in the a–),i have signed both pettions,and yes i will join the strike,if we get enough people maybe they will listen πŸ™„

A few weeks ago i got Β£5 off postage as a paypal offer πŸ˜€

Jennifer
              Keymaster

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about this. In the end, I can understand why sellers are somewhat frustrated with the increases (and I know that the feedback issue is a hot one) but I sat down and did a bit of comparison…

eBay is the largest global platform for selling any item, and all you need is an account there. What other service can boast this? You can sell any (legal) item and sell it to anyone in the world, in an auction format. Provide some text, perhaps a photo or three, click a few buttons, pay a small fee, and you’re selling. With paypal, you can take money- even from credit cards, in the blink of an eye. Again what other service can boast this? Even wire transfers at your bank cost money and they can take hours or days to go though.

So, as Ebay gets bigger, there are thousands (tens of thousands?) of new sellers and buyers daily. That’s a lot of people. All these people have questions, all these people are a potential legal problem, all these people use up crazy amounts of bandwidth. So eBay has to hire more staff, spend more time and money on keeping the works running smoothly. So, fees have gone up. Yeah, it does suck, but as with any service, you are paying for what you get. Right now there is no other site that gets such a huge audience worldwide as eBay does, in an auction format. I talked to a few eBay sellers that quit eBay in the past over fee increases, and each time they say that they’ve come back to eBay, as none of the other auction sites can touch the traffic they get on eBay.

The fees really aren’t that out of line. Have any of you ever tried selling at an auction- a live one? Every auction I’ve participated in has taken a “showing fee” (listing fee, if you will) and then a 10-15% commission off the final selling price. That’s a lot more than what eBay charges, and I’m not marketing to millions of people.

Also, those that say that Paypal’s fees are too high have never held a credit card merchant account, I suspect. If you research the costs for setting up an account so that you can accept credit cards (something that you can do though Paypal for low fees)- well, it’s amazingly expensive. You pay fees to get set up, fees monthly or annually, and a fee on each transaction.

In the end, I think that those that strike are only hurting their own sales (or, missing out on good buys)- eBay is far more likely to listen to a well written letter mailed to them than they will to what I suspect is less than 10% of the buyer/seller base striking for one week.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Jodi
                Participant

Well said, Nam. Unfortunately, this problem isn’t about the fees — most of the fees have been lowered. It’s about the new feedback policy that says that sellers can only give buyers positive feedback. Therefore, sellers cannot withhold their feedback to make sure the buyer communicates with them first if there is a problem instead of just giving the seller negative feedback.

I suspect this will cause a lot more negative feedbacks for sellers for things like: the shirt didn’t fit even though measurements were provided (meaning the buyer didn’t know their own measurement), the color wasn’t exactly like it is in the picture (we’ve all been there), and it didn’t arrive in one day so the seller must not have sent it (cause, you know, mailing something makes it arrive instantaneously).

That’s the part that I have trouble with now.

However, just to clarify, I’m not closing my Ebay store because I’m not selling on there anymore. I’m just trying to get all the extra stuff out of my house.

Andrea
                  Participant

I don’t really mind the listing fees either.
                    The feedback rules are what I have issues with.
                    Like the OP stated, all it takes is one negative feedback for sellers with low feedback and it will take 21 days to get paid?
                    Or if a competitor wants to bury you, all it takes is for that person to buy two or three items and your rating is trashed!

I have one negative feedback on my Ebay account and that was a retalitory.
                    Whats the point of giving buyers feedback if there aren’t negatives allowed?

I doubt the strike will hurt Ebay, but I’ll still abide by it because I have an over inflated sense of justice πŸ™„
                    It really is the least I can do.

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

Ah I see- The feedback thing is a messy thing. I think that a group of letters physically sent to eBay as a complaint would be more effective (and less harsh on those sellers that wish to continue with eBay) than a strike. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                      My art: featherdust.com

Andrea
                      Participant

I agree.
                        But like I said, adhering to the strike is literally the least I can do.
                        I’m lazy at heart πŸ˜†

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.