Windstone Identification Thread

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Windstone Identification Thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 289 total)
  • Author
    pipsxlch
    Participant

Here’s a link to an ‘intense violet’ empea that belongs/belonged to Drgnlvr: http://windstoneeditions.com/members/Pixie-dust/listings/view/170/margarets-sale-one-of-ten-intense-violet-emerald-peacock-lap-dragon-signed-with-coa/

You can see how it is MUCH more like Christine’s fledgie on the right, just with more purple/violet. I remember seeing a few of the very first empeas released to stores in a local mall; they had a lot of violet just like the eBay specials that Drgnlvr’s lap came from.

I’ve owned some of the newest peacocks like the fledgie in the middle, with little to none of the champagne color and brighter blue and green. My spectrals- only 2 peacocks left- do have a little champagne, but they’re approaching this fledgie. (I don’t care for the champagne, and prefer the newer peacock myself. Vive l’ difference!)

etruscan
      Participant

Knockoff or repaint?

Angelina
        Participant

Someone else mentioned it was a repaint. But I can’t scratch any of the paint off and like all of the males (I imagine as I’ve never heard of Windstone until yesterday), it has Pena 86 on it’s rear.
          Pena 86
          And like I mentioned before, nothing on the base.
          Base

Dragoneer_88
          Participant

I can’t give you a definitive answer, but this dragon appears to be fake, which is not unheard of.

Real windstones have glass eyes, Swarovski forehead jewels, a felt pad or stamp on the bottom with the Windstone logo, and they’re made of gypsum. Some areas of this dragon look odd to me. His snout seems misshapen and there are areas where the the details of the scales and feathers are sloppy and chunky.

I advise you to contact Windstone for an official confirmation, because I could be mistaken.

Here is the link with info and contact instructions about possible fakes/infringements.

http://windstoneeditions.com/the-windstone-forum/topic/reports-of-fake-knock-off-windstones-and-general-infringements/

Angelina
            Participant

The only thing this dragon seems to be missing is the stamp or felt bottom. I don’t know where you’re saying details are sloppy or chunky and I’m not sure about the snout. He’s currently not at hand so I can’t at this moment look closely at him.

I can send a message and ask about it. Not sure if anything legally can be done as I’m in Mexico which is where I bought it from. They are NOT selling them as Windstones.

pipsxlch
              Participant

I noticed the snout also, and sloppy detailing especially on the wings- most noticeable on the last photo in your original post (the backside of the dragon). My male is currently packed away, but I can see if I can get him out and take a couple pictures tomorrow showing the same areas if wanted. In the meanwhile, I do have a picture from a 3/4 angle- you can see even from this photo how the snout is straighter on mine. The 3rd and 4th photos in your post show the tweak to the side well.
                 photo 100_1192.jpg

Male Dragon – Emerald Peacock

This is a link to one of the currently available males; it has photos from front and back.

It isn’t really unusual to find repainted dragons, and a too-thick paint applied heavily could account for the loss of details I guess, but I think this dragon is from a mold made from an authentic Windstone and the detailing was lost in the molding/casting process. The snout twisting would have occurred the same. It is somewhat unusual to find a copy with glass eyes; it looks like whoever made your copy popped out the eyes and gems on the original before making a mold of it.

Even though they aren’t selling them as authentic Windstones, whoever made/is selling these is breaking international copyright law. The “C Pena ’86” should have warned them. Whether Mexico would support their prosecution, who knows? But such copies both cost the artist Melody Pena and her company in sales and in reputation (they have a very strict quality control and a piece with the issues yours had would have been destroyed by the factory).

Melody
                Keymaster

Oh no! I depend on Astral castle to tell me when things were made. Or you guys.

Susie
                  Keymaster

You can email me and I’ll try to figure it out. service@windstoneeditions.com

GardenNinja
                    Participant

Astral Castle gave up on keeping up a long time ago, when you started introducing limited editions and limited production. In fact, that part of their website is archived – it is at http://astralcastle.com/00-archive/windstone/wsframe.htm now. It says it was last updated in 2010, but the most recent year I saw mentioned on any piece was 2008.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

tintaglia25
                      Participant

Hmmm, guess I’ll need to update my own database with what’s current, then start working backwards.

Sarah
                        Participant

So I need your guys help on a little hatchling I recently got on ebay for a whole $20, shipping and all. I’d love to know how old it might be, what color it is, and heck if it has any extra value for some reason. He came almost perfect, just had the smallest of chips on the raised edge of the second ridge. The tiniest little bit of apoxy sculpt and some gold paint and you’d never know.

I honestly thought it might be a repaint when I bought it because it was completely flat, and I hadn’t seen a hatching dragon that was actually painted in a flat color. Once I got it I became fairly certain it wasn’t a repaint but it’s left me flabbergasted. Not only is it painted flat, but the quality control is a little… less than I’m use to. That was hard to say, I feel like I’m insulting something I love, but it’s true. The paint is thinner than I’m use to and a little, sloppily applied, plus there is a sizable bubble/hole under his chin.

He has no felt pad but does have the stamp, so I don’t think he’s a fake. Plus the detail of the sculpt is very crisp, and making a fake would lose detail, it’s actually crisper than I’m use to. Crisp enough that I was able to use it as a good guild line when building out a broken spine fin on a different egg. (Every other egg I’ve ever gotten the same fin was broken off LOL)

So, what are your thoughts?

So I need your guys help on a little hatchling I recently got on ebay for a whole $20, shipping and all. I’d love to know how old it might be, what color it is, and heck if it has any extra value for some reason. He came almost perfect, just had the smallest of chips on the raised edge of the second ridge. The tiniest little bit of apoxy sculpt and some gold paint and you’d never know.

I honestly thought it might be a repaint when I bought it because it was completely flat, and I hadn’t seen a hatching dragon that was actually painted in a flat color. Once I got it I became fairly certain it wasn’t a repaint but it’s left me flabbergasted. Not only is it painted flat, but the quality control is a little… less than I’m use to. That was hard to say, I feel like I’m insulting something I love, but it’s true. The paint is thinner than I’m use to and a little, sloppily applied, plus there is a sizable bubble/hole under his chin.

He has no felt pad but does have the stamp, so I don’t think he’s a fake. Plus the detail of the sculpt is very crisp, and making a fake would lose detail, it’s actually crisper than I’m use to. Crisp enough that I was able to use it as a good guild line when building out a broken spine fin on a different egg. (Every other egg I’ve ever gotten the same fin was broken off LOL)

Front Of Flat Dragon

Detail of Flat Dragon
                          You can see how sharp the details are in this picture. His eyes even look deeper set, although I can’t tell if his eyes are smaller or the socket is deeper.

Flat Dragon Pock Mark
                          This shows the rather sizable pock mark and one other flaw under his chin.

Feltless Bottom of Flat Dragon

dragonmedley
                          Participant

That’s a brown hatcher all right. Since there’s no pad, it’s old.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Kim
                            Blocked

Yeah that’s the original brown hatching dragon which has a bit more of an orange look to me. They originally were painted like that with just a stamp on the bottom instead of the felt pad. It would be on of the first ones painted like that so the paint and clear coating have changed and improved over the years.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Melody
                              Keymaster

Yes that is a very old one! The very oldest had little tongues sticking out, and different eyes,
                                but the stamp and messy bottom makes it one of the very early ones.

Sarah
                                Participant

Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry that looks to have posted several times over! It didn’t show like that on the screen, but I did have some issues with the pictures.

Anyway, thanks guys! Brown is the only color I could imagine it being, but it looked so red I wasn’t sure. At least I wasn’t wholly wrong about the little guy! Interesting!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 289 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.