fbpx

So, what’s next on the schedule? (Part 4 NEW for 2020)

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody So, what’s next on the schedule? (Part 4 NEW for 2020)

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 903 total)
  • Author
    Angelika_Zen
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about the new dragon’s name-to-be, and although I DO like “Treasure Keeper”, I feel like it doesn’t quite fit…Secret Keepers have a front paw up…Mini Keepers have a front paw up…see where I’m going with this? The Keeper dragons should all be “keeping” something, shouldn’t they? Just my thoughts on the matter 🙂

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Melody
      Keymaster

Melody –

I’m fairly certain you can post Updates on your Kickstarter as often as you need.

You should be able to put an Updated photo that shows which dragons have been claimed and which dragons are available.

Or if the dragons have individual numbers you can use the Updates to list which numbers are claimed and which are still available.

I won’t know what will work best until the KS is live! I can’t test it.

Melody
        Keymaster

question that just popped into my head, will there be a smaller item available like the beanpoads with this Kickstarter?

I am trying to make an enamel pin! It would be fun if I can manage to learn how to use this #$@$#$ vector program!

Melody
          Keymaster

I’m one of those that had issues- I was able to see part of the 1st live feed on Kickstarter, but it would’nt let me in at all on the second. And I never was able to comment or claim. But I was still able to get beans that made me happy, thanks Susie for all your work with the email selections! That did work well for me, even though yeah I didn’t get all my 1st choices. Tough noogies. Not Windstone’s problem.

Since Melody sounds like she’ll bend over backwards for us this next time, I’m very relieved even though I may still not be able to view or claim/comment. Or maybe I can get a phone buddy for the selection that could place my claim for me.

I had no problem receiving notifications from Kickstarter. (it did make me make a whole new donation with a different email when I wanted to add to my reward :p)

I really like many of Ela_Hara’s ideas. Breaking it up into batches makes it easier- for us, anyhow.

Now to dream of an earthy green and brown dragon with orange, red, or yellow eyes… lol

That is why I don’t want to use live stream chat to claim things. It was a feeding frenzy and some people got left out.

Melody
            Keymaster

I have the first batch of class pics already photo’d and numbered, so I can’t sort them into color groups, but I can attempt that with future ones I paint during the Kickstarter, or if I paint more now.
              Setting up a Kickstarter is so frustrating… I’d rather be painting anyway!

Maybe there is an eligible victim- I mean assistant or volunteer to handle the KS setup while you paint! Let them deal with the headache for you.

I wish. Everybody helps but I still have to figure out what to do.

Melody
              Keymaster

A problem I anticipate is people wanting to switch dragons after they have claimed one. I’m not sure how to deal with that possibility.

No switching. That’s all. People should be mature enough to live with their decisions.

I am thinking I may have to show the class pic early, before the KS starts, and let people circle ones they like. Then I can paint more dragons like the ones they want. Or maybe I’ll just let chaos reign. It’s fun.

Melody
                Keymaster

For the Hoarder / Bantam dragon kickstarter, I know Girl Genius (webcomic / comic books) often uses Backer Kit to help the fulfillment part of their Kickstarters. I haven’t noticed any outfits who help set them up (undoubtedly for a fee), though I’m sure they’re out there.

(Also on the Squeaks thread) I’ll squeak for cool blue-greens and a batch of Prismatic Spring dragons! I really hope to pick up one to fit in my mixed Rainbow / Emerald Peacock / Black Violet Peacock family. And my little-dragons Prismatic Spring clan would love another member!

I still think it would be neat if the dragon name echoed the general “royal” theme that sort of exists already. I think Page and Squire and Seer and Prince have been shot down already. Others that came to mind are / a quick search: Baron, Baronet, Marquis / Marquess, Earl, Duke / Duchess, Bishop, Esquire, or Herald.

In random things I didn’t know, apparently “Junker” is a German noble honorific, meaning “young nobleman” or otherwise “young lord”. Huh. I’m not sure most people would hear “Junker dragon” and think a noble guardian of treasure, though!

Yes, I suggested that we use Backerkit for “The Veligent” KS. We decided not to use it. BackerKit wouldn’t have worked for that one anyway. We needed to take tons of pics and email photos of poads™ to people to get the right ones sent to the right people. Backer Kit can’t do that!
                  If we handled THAT insane KS, we can do it again.

Melody
                  Keymaster

Treasure keeper or Jewel keeper or something would be cute. Melody is the kickstarter just for dragons or anything else? Also any idea how far off the kickstarter would be from launching? If you already have the dragons would it take a while to set up the kickstarter? Would it maybe be next month or in a couple months or more? I need to recover from the ponycorns!

I am doing the final work on the page. Nearly done, but I still need to make a video. That is the really hard part! Last time we had a professional videographer doing it. This time I’m on my own.

Melody
                    Keymaster

So how many hoops must we jump thru.

A few hoops. Kickstarter is a little confusing if you haven’t used it before.
                      Here is a primer of the hoops:

You have to create a Kickstarter account.
                      Then, when the Kickstarter is live ( I’ll announce it with a link) Go to the Kickstarter page and click the “Back This Project” button. Then choose a pledge tier.

I will post a link to a preview of this KS page before it goes live so that people can read it and plan out what pledge tier dragons to choose ahead of time.

Each pledge tier will have a set pledge amount and come with a “reward” of some kind. It is called a “reward” because it is a thing you get for contributing to a project.

I will create a few pledge tiers that will include various combinations of dragons, so it will be easier for people who would like more than one dragon.

The unusual part of my Kickstarters is that I let backers pick individual rewards, not many other Kickstarters are like this (because it is nuts).

I plan to post a pic of the group of dragons I have painted, like a class pic, but with numbers.
                      To claim specific dragon(s), pledge for the “Choose your dragon” tier.
                      I’ll post photos of all the dragons with numbers under them.
                      I’ll also do some live streams during which you can claim newly painted dragons using the messages feature. This might be a way to get a dragon you’d like if your first choice was taken.
                      Let me know the number under the dragon you would like using the “messages” feature on the Kickstarter.
                      If that dragon has been claimed I’ll need to let you know by replying to your message (-I think?… not sure how well this will work!)
                      and you can choose another one from the pic or wait and see what new ones I paint.
                      This is still a project I am working on, so ideas are welcome!

Melody
                      Keymaster

Maybe I missed the post, but what is the Kickstarter for?

I was thinking this KS was for the mass production of the new dragon sculpt, but I never thought of the new dragon as just the reward for something else, like another book…which is it?

This is a kickstarter to, uh,
                        -really just to let people choose individual dragons. There isn’t any other good way to do it!

Melody
                        Keymaster

It would be interesting if one of the reward tiers was for a Kickstarter-exclusive color scheme that will not be available any other way. So if people were anxious about getting to pick a certain color, they could be assured of getting this color… Well, if they liked it. Maybe similar to the twilight gemstone eBay series, but a little different, white instead of black?

There will be some exclusive colors.

Melody
                          Keymaster

Treasure keeper or Jewel keeper or something would be cute. Melody is the kickstarter just for dragons or anything else? Also any idea how far off the kickstarter would be from launching? If you already have the dragons would it take a while to set up the kickstarter? Would it maybe be next month or in a couple months or more? I need to recover from the ponycorns!

I hope to get some enamel pins done as small rewards also. I am not sure when this KS will launch, but I Am working on it.

Kim
                            Blocked

Ooh, Melody I like the idea of picking a colour and if multiple people want the same or something similar then you would know how many to paint that are the same or similar. As always I would love a pink & aqua/teal dragon or something like rainbow or pastel rainbow. I also like the idea of pink/blue/purple/teal combinations of colours in light or darker shades something like Dreamscape. There was also a pretty light pink and yellow dragon I loved that was called Orchid I think. Some other test paint colour schemes I loved that would be cool to see similar colours of in these were: Pink blue, Blue Ice, Winter, Hawaii, Moonwalker and Fireberry. I also am looking forward to enamel pins.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Mary
                              Participant

A problem I anticipate is people wanting to switch dragons after they have claimed one. I’m not sure how to deal with that possibility.

No switching. That’s all. People should be mature enough to live with their decisions.

I am thinking I may have to show the class pic early, before the KS starts, and let people circle ones they like. Then I can paint more dragons like the ones they want. Or maybe I’ll just let chaos reign. It’s fun.

Chaos can be really fun!!!

Rylorien
                                Participant

I think Melody & Co did a marvelous job managing the first Kickstarter, which was a new experience for them with lots of bumps and bruises due to the variance in the sculpted products–you had so many differently-sized poads, lots of paint patterns (paired adult/young, the regulars which were patterns on black bases, and special adults/babies) AND the stylization of the poads changed with each batch (a natural occurrence, since the artist is going to paint based on mood and intention; the very first batch of special adults, for example, felt simpler to me as they had more uniform colors and less flamboyant plant combos).

Long story short: this one should be a lot easier for them as it’s just the hoarder + pins + whatever other merch they might make (more patches?).

Personally, I think they should still allow for switching out a piece, within reason. Speaking as someone with limited funds, it’s extremely difficult to make choices when Melody does amazing work across the color spectrum. You also have to remember we’re (presumably) only seeing one side of the dragons via pics–granted, for the most part the colors will likely be symmetrical unless they’re intentionally painted otherwise, but sometimes little details can be off-putting. What if the dragon you love has bicolor eyes and you didn’t know about it? Or if you’re in a rush to pick and the eyes you thought were burgundy are actually brown? Maybe the color phasing just isn’t to your taste on the non-display side? Yes, I *know* I’m nitpicking. But I know I’m also not the only one here that goes over pieces with a fine-tooth comb (when they can) before investing.

Susie had a heck of a time with the switching pieces last KS, but I think a lot of that was a result of how long the campaign went for coupled with just how much variance in the poads there was. I don’t imagine it will be nearly as bad, especially since they have a stronger grasp of how to handle it. Additionally, poads that were swapped went right back into the pool for others to pick. If they don’t want to put the “returned” dragons back into the mix right away, they could always set them aside into a “leftover” photo set or just save them for people that want a random pull (assuming that’s an option on this KS).

I do think that splitting things into color batches will help, both with choices and with them streamlining the overall process so it’s not as much of a madhouse.

I’m curious to know if there will only be airbrushed solid color blends, or something more patterned for the dragons (like snake scaling, stripes, cosmic, etc)? I wasn’t here for the minikeeper GB, but when I first rediscovered Windstone I remember photos showing quite a bit of difference. Some were simple color blends whereas others had emphasis on hand-drawn or sculpt-specific details (ex/butterfly spots on wings, or highlighting the wing “ribs” with metallics).

Regardless, I’m excited to see how it all unfolds!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 903 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.