fbpx

New website concerns (fixes, suggestions, etc)

Home Forums Miscellany Help & Feedback New website concerns (fixes, suggestions, etc)

• This topic has 652 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 7 months ago by Clay.
Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 653 total)
  • Author
    etruscan
    Participant

This is a bit of a mystery, since the forum software hasn’t been changed/updated real recently. The problem may be specific to certain browsers. In my testing, the main forum page is very slow in Safari for Mac. With Chrome and Firefox it loads quickly, and on my iPhone it loads quickly. I generally find the main forum page quite a bit slower than the other poges, presumably because it has to calculate the topics, posts, and freshness for decades of forum posts (over 450,000 posts!). In the long run the solution is probably to archive parts of the forum, but this is tricky for several reasons, which is why we haven’t done it already. I will investigate this current sluggishness and post here when I have some answers.

I’m using Firefox on a desktop and things loaded fine until three(?) days ago. This slow-down is recent from my perspective.

fatalbeauty
      Participant

I’m using Firefox Version 71.0 (64-bit) on a laptop, it started slowing a few days ago….everything else goes normal but anytime I try to go back to the main forum, it just lags….

4 things I'm looking for:
        1. Mother Meerkat
        2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
        3. Female Griffin โ€“ Siamese with White
        4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

GardenNinja
        Participant

I think it must be a Firefox update. I use Firefox, and mine slowed down about the same time. There was also a Firefox update around the same time. What I’ve noticed is I can no longer quickly go back with backspace (or clicking the back arrow). It does a full refresh instead of just loading the page from cache. It used to be that backspace didn’t update the “new replies” status for the topic I just read – it didn’t need to, I know what I just read! It is doing this both for the main forum list, and in the individual forums, but the time lag is most noticeable on the main forum list.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

LZ
          Participant

I think it must be a Firefox update. I use Firefox, and mine slowed down about the same time. There was also a Firefox update around the same time. What I’ve noticed is I can no longer quickly go back with backspace (or clicking the back arrow). It does a full refresh instead of just loading the page from cache. It used to be that backspace didn’t update the “new replies” status for the topic I just read – it didn’t need to, I know what I just read! It is doing this both for the main forum list, and in the individual forums, but the time lag is most noticeable on the main forum list.

Same with the back button, but I am using Chrome or Safari most of the time. Everything slowed down about a week ago, and since yesterday it seems even slower.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

Clay
            Keymaster

The developers of our forum software released an update recently, which I installed on the 12th. Given the timing, it seems like this is probably related to the slowdown. However, I don’t see any reason why the update should have had that effect. Troubleshooting this is likely to take a good bit of trial and error (and therefore some time). I’ll post here when I have more information. As I mentioned before, for me it’s only slow in Safari for Mac, while Firefox and Chrome are loading quite fast, and my iPhone is fast. If anyone else has the chance to compare different browsers, I would appreciate your feedback on that. Thanks for your patience…

Ela_Hara
              Participant

HI Clay –I’m using Safari on a MAC laptop at work and it’s loading slowly for me from the main page. It does eventually load after around 40 seconds to a minute. This IS an improvement over yesterday’s load time though.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-17-at-2.48.59-PM

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Clay
                Keymaster

HI Clay –I’m using Safari on a MAC laptop at work and it’s loading slowly for me from the main page. It does eventually load after around 40 seconds to a minute. This IS an improvement over yesterday’s load time though.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-17-at-2.48.59-PM

Thanks for that. If you have any other browser installed, would you mind trying that one and letting me know what happens? I just ran a page performance test (which is a tool provided by our hosting provider), and the forum page actually loaded .19 seconds faster than the last time I tested it, several months ago. Very strange.

tig3r06
                  Participant

It was quick when I clicked on the link to see your reply, but clicking back to go back to the main forum page takes about 30 seconds and to go to the main forum page from anywhere takes about 30 seconds. Seems like forever though ๐Ÿ˜†

Im on a Samsung android s10 and tabs3 using chrome on both. I also just updated my s10 to the newest software and it’s still doing it. And my chrome app is updated.

pipsxlch
                    Participant

I’m on a Samsung tablet running I think Chrome. It’s worse with this than on my old laptop running Internet Edge. It’s been a little over a week that I’ve had problems, maybe 2 weeks.

tig3r06
                      Participant

It was quick when I clicked on the link to see your reply, but clicking back to go back to the main forum page takes about 30 seconds and to go to the main forum page from anywhere takes about 30 seconds. Seems like forever though ๐Ÿ˜†

Im on a Samsung android s10 and tabs3 using chrome on both. I also just updated my s10 to the newest software and it’s still doing it. And my chrome app is updated.

Just wanted to update my status:
                        I just tried the samsung internet app on my s10 and the forum is smoking fast.

Another update:
                        ***Actually once I logged in to my account on the samsung internet app it did the same thing as on chrome app. When I first tried the samsung app, I was not logged in.
                        Tried logging out on chrome and the forum was super fast. Then I logged back in and it was super slow again.

Bodancia
                        Participant

I’m using Firefox on a PC and the main forum page has been loading quite slowly for the last few days. Noticeably slow.

Always looking for a lovely GB Young Unicorns, TP Male Dragons or TP Male Griffins!

etruscan
                          Participant

Another update:
                            ***Actually once I logged in to my account on the samsung internet app it did the same thing as on chrome app. When I first tried the samsung app, I was not logged in.
                            Tried logging out on chrome and the forum was super fast. Then I logged back in and it was super slow again.

After I read your post I tried doing the same thing and got the same result. Logged out – Forum loaded very quickly. Logged in – Forum loading slowly again.

Clay
                            Keymaster

Another update:

Thanks for sharing that info. Yes, this is definitely the crux of the issue (being logged in), and as others have stated the forum is loading very fast when not logged in. So…I will be using this info to troubleshoot and hopefully get this resolved soon. Thanks everyone for your input.

tig3r06
                              Participant

Thank you Clay!

Clay
                                Keymaster

Update: Iโ€™ve identified the cause of the main forum page loading slowly. Working now with the forum software developer to get it resolved. Should be fixed soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 653 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.