fbpx

New website concerns (fixes, suggestions, etc)

Home Forums Miscellany Help & Feedback New website concerns (fixes, suggestions, etc)

• This topic has 652 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 7 months ago by Clay.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 653 total)
  • Author
    Clay
    Keymaster

Mike, I’m afraid that going back to the old format is not an option, though we are trying to make the new system as similar to it as we can. The entire site was migrated from our old platform (Drupal) to the new one (WordPress), and WordPress has its own modules (called plugins) for every site feature (forum, classifieds, galleries, PMs, etc.). In order to make the transition as easy as possible for everyone, we are trying to replicate the look and workflow of the old system as much as we can, but it won’t be exactly the same. In the long run it will be better, and will have some nice features that the old site did not have (though that may be hard to believe at the moment). During this transition, the person who had been in charge of the classifieds for years (and would have been setting up this new system) left Windstone, so that’s an extra challenge. Hang in there, it will all get sorted out soon.

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Mike, to expand on Clay’s excellent reply, and to take my official hat off for a moment: The big reason we had to move to this new format in the first place was that the bugs that were building up more and more on the old Drupal platform were either impossible to fix, or impossible to fix with the type of budget that a small company like Windstone has. Drupal is a bit of a niche platform compared to WordPress (which runs our new site). Approximately 2% of worldwide websites use Drupal, whereas over a quarter of worldwide websites use WordPress. Why does this matter? In a nutshell: Very few people could help us with our Drupal problems. It was rather awful to learn, understand, and manage. Can you tell I hated it? Fixes were usually mere bandaids to make sure that people could use the website (but sometimes barely… the last few months, the forum barely loaded). It was not sustainable.

Bear with us, we’ll get this figured out! The good thing with WordPress is that there are a lot of options and it is well supported. It won’t ever be exactly the same, but we can get it working nicely in time. 🙂

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

dragonmedley
        Participant

I’m having a blast with the new size of the avatar 😀

We also now have the option of a cover page, which I think will only be seen when we look up members’ accounts and the individual ads.

D’you know how many combinations I went through to finally settle on the marsupilami? Simple pleasures!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

dragonmedley
          Participant

The feedback thread was a sticky under Community, as well as the rules and regs for posting, I think.

fatalbeauty
            Participant

new issue, threads are now loading all the replies on one page…so like 100 replies on page and really slow loading times….

4 things I'm looking for:
              1. Mother Meerkat
              2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
              3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
              4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Kelsey
              Participant

I’m not sure if this was already talked about here but I got a message and I never got an email letting me know that I got a message. Has anyone else been having this problem?

Clay
                Keymaster

Fatal beauty,

Thanks for pointing that out. I had turned on “reply threading (nesting)” not realizing that that option also disables pagination, so all replies are loaded on a single page. It’s a nice feature, but with some of the larger topics (hundreds of replies) it’s prohibitively slow. So I turned it back off. The makers of the forum plugin (called bbPress) are working on a way of having nested replies and pagination at the same time.

Landipan
                  Participant

I too haven’t been getting emails when I get a private message.

Also, I kind a miss how we used to be able to see who’s online at the bottom of the forums page.

*Formerly meowmix101
                    Not currently open for PYO commissions.

dragonmedley
                    Participant

I received an email when I got a new PM, but no notification when I got a reply to my reply to same PM.

fatalbeauty
                      Participant

no problem Clay, much better now….

4 things I'm looking for:
                        1. Mother Meerkat
                        2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                        3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                        4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Skylover
                        Participant

I’m really liking the new format so far! I’m just curious if I can change my name back to my forum name without messing with my billing information. Leaving my name as Jennifer is bound to confuse some people since there’s a lot of people named Jennifer including a forum moderator.

Susie
                          Keymaster

Pegasi figured out how to change your display name:

“To update your display name, go under My Account and click profile. Then click Edit. On the “Base” grouping is na name field. That is the name displayed for everyone to see.”

Please feel free to change them to your preferred forum name – it won’t mess up anything.

If you get an Error message when you try to go into your account, please email me and I can change the display name back to your old forum name – which seems to make that error problem go away at the same time. susie@windstoneeditions.com

PrairieVixen
                            Participant

Hi Clay, just a heads up; I still can’t get any of my classified ads to post. I tried gutting an old ad as recommended by Natasha and now it says:

“This Ad is currently disabled until the Administrator approves it. Only you (the author) can see it.”

Does every classified ad now need to be approved by an Administrator before it will post? Additionally after several tries I still could only get two photos to attach to the ad. I guess that doesn’t matter if my ad is disabled, lol, but I wanted to make you aware of this also. I’ve got quite a few items I’d like to list up for trade and sale but just can’t seem to get them to go through no matter what I do.

Thanks!

.*ºSearching for Spectrals and Rising Spectrals in all patterns and colors!º*.

Scathach
                              Participant

White type! Yippee!!!

Thanks for listening. 🙂

Life is beautiful.

Ela_Hara
                                Participant

Yes! Much better! I like the font as well… It looks a little like Gill Sans, but isn’t. Very pleasant though. 😀

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                                  Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                                  Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                                  *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 653 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.