New website concerns (fixes, suggestions, etc)

Home Forums Miscellany Help & Feedback New website concerns (fixes, suggestions, etc)

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 653 total)
  • Author
    StormDancer
    Participant

With the new captcha to log into the forums I can not log in using my PC.
      It asks to have the “I am not a robot” checked, once I do that it goes to the pick out photos that match the request. I pick them out and it goes into a pause mode which then goes to a “Verification expired. Check the checkbox again”.

I have no problem logging in with my phone though.

I use Firefox as my browser and have a Dell XPS computer running windows 10.

Looking for:
      "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

StormDancer
      Participant

Well 6th try is the charm and it let me log in. I am not sure if this was just a quick glitch or not though.

Looking for:

GardenNinja
        Participant

I just logged in an hour ago, and I have a very similar setup on my PC – Firefox on Windows 10, different Dell computer. It let me in on the first try. It didn’t ask me to match photos. Maybe Clay was still in the middle of changing how the login works? That has caused problems before.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Clay
          Keymaster

Sorry for the inconvenience, StormDancer. I’m not sure whey the verification would expire. Google recently released a new version of reCaptcha (version 3) that uses a different kind of technology, but I’ve read that there have been various issues with it, so for now I am trying version 2, which has been around for a while.

This version asks you to check a checkbox (“I’m not a robot.”), and it makes a determination (based on various factors) behind the scenes about the likelihood that you are an actual human. Depending on how that goes, you may be asked to identify images like traffic lights or bridges. So sometimes you have to do the image puzzle, and sometimes not——that’s normal.

Obviously we’ve been targeted by an increasing number of spammers lately, so I’m trying different things to combat the problem. I know that it’s a hassle for everyone, and I appreciate your patience! If anyone else has trouble with the login page, please post here or email me. Thanks.

GardenNinja
            Participant

Speaking of which, there are a couple spam ads in questionable English in the classifieds.

StormDancer
              Participant

Thanks Clay, I am not sure what the issue was, it let me log in this morning with no issues.

Yes, I saw the spam in the classifieds and forums. I’ve also been on the receiving end of the spam PM’s in the past. It can’t be easy keeping ahead of the spammers but we all appreciate the efforts you have taken to do so.
                Thank you!

Looking for:

fatalbeauty
                Participant

nevermind, seems to have fixed itself right as I posted it….

4 things I'm looking for:
                  1. Mother Meerkat
                  2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                  3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                  4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

etruscan
                  Participant

Something odd with Forum Search results:

If you type a search term in the “Search the forums …” bar, you first get a short list of relevant posts with the option of clicking for “More Results”:

Screenshot_2019-10-13-The-Windstone-Forum_search1

Clicking on “More Results” does bring additional posts to the screen, but they are arranged like items in the store. Very strange! It has been this way for a while but I don’t know how long.

Screenshot_2019-10-13-The-Windstone-Forum_search2

Kim
                    Blocked

Is there a time limit on how long people are logged in here for on the site? Can you please extend it or let people stay logged in for a day or at least a few hours? Other people have posted about how annoying the captcha things are but I have another problem with this site logging me out while I’m in the middle of posting a comment or messaging someone and I go to submit a post or send a message and then it won’t send or it tells me I’m logged out and I completely lose the whole thing I just typed to post. Why would it log me out while I’m on the site actively using it after like half an hour or an hour? And how come every time I check something else on my phone and go back to the site a minute later it makes me log back in again? It’s getting really annoying! I would like to be able to stay logged in until I decide to log out.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

GardenNinja
                      Participant

Kim, if you select to “keep me logged in”, it is supposed to leave you logged in for two weeks. It works for me both on my laptop (Win10 with Firefox) and my phone (iPhone with Safari). What OS and software are you using? That would help Clay troubleshoot.

Kim
                        Blocked

Where does it say keep me logged in? I haven’t seen that. I’m using an Android phone and Windows 10 computer.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

etruscan
                          Participant

When I am logging in I don’t see “Keep me logged in”, but I do see “Remember me”. I think that they are the same thing.

LZ
                            Participant

I get the “remember me” checkbox during login on all my browsers on my MacBook and also my Samsung Galaxy phone. Right now it is located under the Captcha box.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

Clay
                              Keymaster

OK, I will look into this, should be fairly easy to fix.

Clay
                                Keymaster

Yes, GardenNinja, Etruscan, and Lisa Z are exactly right (thanks for helping Kim out). It’s the checkbox that says “remember me” that you want to click. Otherwise you will be logged out after 2 days or when you close your browser window. Please try clicking that checkbox and see if that takes care of this for you. There are plugins that I could install that would extend the time before log out even further (or indefinitely if desired), but I would prefer to only do that if there is a consensus that it’s necessary. This site is using too many plugins as it is, and I am trying to eliminate some of them (if possible) rather than adding more. But if this continues to be a problem we will work something out.

BTW, the scenario you’re describing (where you’re logged out while posting to the forum or PMing) is probably happening like this: you visit the site and log in and then don’t return to the site for a while (or close your browser). Then when you return to the site later, your browser loads the site from its cache, so it looks like you’re still logged in when in fact you have been logged out. Then when you try to do something that requires being logged in, the site checks and sees that you are logged out and sends you to the login screen. Even if you check the Remember Me box, this may happen if you haven’t logged in for 2 weeks. When visiting the site for the first time in a while, you might want to refresh the page to make sure that you are still logged in. I hope that makes sense. If you need any further help, please post here or PM me.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 653 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.