fbpx

Creating a Breyer Hippocampus ~ FINISHED!!!!!!

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Creating a Breyer Hippocampus ~ FINISHED!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • Author

Apoxie Sculpt from AVES. It comes in about a dozen different colors and I have been buying the four pound tubs of it. I still can’t believe I have used an entire four pounds of it on this so far. And no problem. Alot of the tools are new (the dental like ones) We found them at a local hobby and model shop. I LOVE that store. Like geeky project paradise, models, mins, dnd stuff, rc planes and boats (I am talking the big ones you build and fly yourself) and every science project you could think of!!

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
    www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
    Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Prezaurian
    Participant

Apoxie Sculpt from AVES. It comes in about a dozen different colors and I have been buying the four pound tubs of it. I still can’t believe I have used an entire four pounds of it on this so far. And no problem. Alot of the tools are new (the dental like ones) We found them at a local hobby and model shop. I LOVE that store. Like geeky project paradise, models, mins, dnd stuff, rc planes and boats (I am talking the big ones you build and fly yourself) and every science project you could think of!!

I love hobby stores myself. They’re a lot of fun to wander around in. Our local hobby store (not counting Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or Jo Anns) is like what you describe. Though it’s not organized in the best way. Does yours have model trains too?

Ya it does, its like a model-er and science geek heaven. Like growing crystals, diorama and volcano stuff too. I wish they weren’t all the way in Spokane, like and hour and a half from here but thats what you get for living in a small town on the edge of the mountains… ๐Ÿ˜›

Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Prezaurian
      Participant

-laughs- Sympathies. But I guess some places are special enough to deserve a little out of the way trip sometimes.

Speaking of science geek heavens…ever heard of Think Geek?

-laughs- Sympathies. But I guess some places are special enough to deserve a little out of the way trip sometimes.

Speaking of science geek heavens…ever heard of Think Geek?

Ya, I have. Their site is pretty interesting. ๐Ÿ™‚

Another over due update:

Apparently I never posted this, but here is problem solving at it’s best:

Attaching it to the base was the most ridiculous craziness. In hindsight, I should have made the armatures connect, and I wouldn’t have had to go through all that. The capricorn it self weighs almost 4 1/2 lbs. It kept tipping and sliding. Marbles make good counter weights, ya know?

So on to more progress, today I finished sculpting the stone, I sculpted a few scale areas I guess I missed the first time and the back of the tail. It also bugged me how much you could tell the upper half was another scuplture, so I very carefully created a thin layer covering the upper half and gave it a light fur texture and it just melted into the rest of the peice. You don’t see that “seam” now.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11041275_888459987870024_1008514450927771075_n.jpg?oh=41412208be3f6075ae8e1cf7dc347165&oe=55D8718C&__gda__=1436188552_b77f33b1c8f49539d5c56fa24ff6ebe4
        https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11078237_888459957870027_3712399632242563726_n.jpg?oh=888c0225b6b89232546c22c4249c92f8&oe=55ABD4DC&__gda__=1437449572_1e49602fd9a0bd2cf99d03fe280220d5

To texture the rock, I used a combo of paper towel, and you guessed it, a rock.
        Rocks make good rock texture. I plan to finish sculpting the waves this week and be painting by saturday.

This project turned out to be so much more labor intensive than I originally quoted, mostly that its more than twice the size I thought it would need to be to be accurate scale wise.. Definitely know how to gauge a sculpture now. ^_^ I am enjoying this so much!

Falcolf
        Participant

So excited that this is getting closer to some colour! Lovin’ the details!

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Kim
          Blocked

It looks really cool! Wow, that’s a lot of work you put in but glad it’s been a fun learning experience for you!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

SPark
            Participant

Oh wow. Doing all those scales… I did a tiny My Little Pony mer-horse once and it took forever. I can hardly imagine how long that must have taken!

Bleh, per lack of update here is one, but that reminds me that i need to upload the current pics tomorrow. All sculpting is now complete (other pics) and painting has begun, but here is what is posted:

Yay, time for a current update!

Last of sculpting and first base coats:

and fiiiiiinnnaallly painting this big guy. ^_^

More here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.845564398826250.1073741841.593146274068065&type=1&l=b6429aaa9c

Thanks for looking!!

MandBsMom
              Participant

OMG, this is going to be just fabulous!!!!! Seriously, the model horse community would LOVE this. I don’t have a paid account, but a paid account on M$HP (Model Horse Sales Pages) would allow you to post an ad with pictures. You could just do an ad saying you are taking commissions and could do something similar. You could advertise your Facebook page on there as well. There are a lot of customs out there, but this is very elaborate and awesome!
                http://www.modelhorsesalespages.com
                There are many ads for OF (Original Finish, straight from the manufacturer), but there are many artists too. You can see there are people who just repaint the plastic models, those that sculpt resins, artists who paint the resins, and those that can do sculpting changes, like adding more mane/tail or moving legs. It’s a HUGE community, you never know what kind of bites you might get! Going through the ads might also give you an idea of what people charge. Visit other artist’s sites. You will not find any lack of things to look at! Model horses were one of my first loves, so I’m very familiar with painters/sculptors and such. Realism is VERY important in this case. We have ‘model horse shows’, which is basically an excuse for everyone to get together and bring the best of their collection to one place so everyone can drool. All the Arabians show in one class, all the Clydesdales, etc. There is even a national group that oversees the shows and holds a national show every year that you have to have your horse qualify into. Models that have been repainted/customized, are judged on realism. Anyway, I could write a book explaining it all. Take a look, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions! (Like what all the acronyms mean)

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

WolfenMachine
                Participant

Rocks make good rock texture.

LOL!! If this were Facebook, I’d “like” your comment ๐Ÿ™‚ This statue is AMAZING! I will give you a plug in the Grand Champions niche of the model horse community. I’m not big over there, still a newbie but I know they would love your work.

Prezaurian
                  Participant

Really nice job on the rock’s paint job! Can’t wait to see more of this.

Great…*rolls eyes* looks like facebook changed the image roots again… ๐Ÿ˜› ill have this all up on DA later when I am done.

ANYWAYS…. here is and up date now we are kinda settled from our trip and my swap piece is done:

Just working the painting magic and getting needed practice for blending. ๐Ÿ™‚

EDIT: Full pic for those who want to see:

This is totally wicked! I agree, I am personally in the model horse hobby, and there are always people looking for cool, new fantasy models :D! What a great idea! I love the mask you made as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.