fbpx

Creating a Breyer Hippocampus ~ FINISHED!!!!!!

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Creating a Breyer Hippocampus ~ FINISHED!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Prezaurian
    Participant

Looking great! I’m looking forward to seeing more updates!

Looking great! I’m looking forward to seeing more updates!

Thanks, glad to hear!

I don’t know how much of an update this is, but I have been continuing on the scales over the week. I have almost used my entire 4 lbs of apoxy sculpt! I’m gonna need to order some more!

Is anyone interested in what particular tools I have been using and making for this? I can post pics if anyone is interested. I plan to sand the scales a bit more so they are smoother and nicer before I start painting. Reaching under the tail is very difficult.

In other unrelated news: Today, I learned that at my apartment complex, I can move from my one bedroom into a two-bedroom and it would be LESS than I am paying now for rent. Seriously contemplating this, I have wanted to be in one of the two bedrooms since I moved here. I’d have an entire room just as my art studio. And room to actually live in my living room which is currently overrun by my work.

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
      www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
      Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Ela_Hara
      Participant

Even though it’s a major pain to pack and move, a two bedroom for less sounds great! If you could swing it, it would probably be good for you – I’d move for that. ๐Ÿ™‚

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
        Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
        Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
        *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Prezaurian
        Participant

I would LOVE to know what tools your using! That would be great! And as for getting a two bedroom for less, sweet!

Even though it’s a major pain to pack and move, a two bedroom for less sounds great! If you could swing it, it would probably be good for you – I’d move for that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of all, I’d just be moving like right around the corner, maybe into one of the other buildings. No need for a moving truck or anything, just lots a lifting power. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am getting started on the kickstarter, hoping to have it going next week or the beginning of march. I’ll be working more on this today as well, I’ll upload some pics tonight showing my fancy tools and how I made the scaler tools.

Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Here is a preview link to the kickstarter. This is not live yet. Any tips or such?

Allie you are doing a remarkable job on this piece. So cool to see where it started to where it is now. Bravo. I can imagine the time put in in all those scales and you have the patience of a saint lol

Sorry for so long without an update.

I finished all of the scales tonight, they just need some sanding and a bit of carving in a few places. I am getting ready to start the base, and I’ll say this thing is gonna be huge. The only base I could fins is about 11 inches across, slightly less than the width of the capricorn. Here are my update pics and a pic showing how I did some of the last scales.

I found that there were areas I just couldn’t reach with my scaler. So instead of scaling on the piece, I rolled the apoxy out between wax paper sheets and then scaled it and applied the still sticky apoxy in sheets cleaning up the edges. You ever do a project, get all the way to the end, and then find a better way you should have done it from the beginning? Well pretty much.

I also notice that my scales towards the end are much more even and flatter. I guess practice really does make perfect eh?

Can’t wait to start on the base. II’ll try and do a mini post next about the tools I used.

MandBsMom
          Participant

Somehow you totally have to show this to the model horse community. I guarantee someone else ( or multiples there of ) would commission you to do one for them. This is looking fantastic!

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

Somehow you totally have to show this to the model horse community. I guarantee someone else ( or multiples there of ) would commission you to do one for them. This is looking fantastic!

No idea where to even start with that, but if someone wanted to plug me in somewhere, I’d have absolutely no problem with that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kim
            Blocked

Wow, that looks great! That must take so much patience to do all the scales like that!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Ela_Hara
              Participant

WOW – Fantastic scale work and so even! You have a great technique, Great Job!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Thanks you guys!

I sanded the scales down a bit today, finished the other fins and got a good start on the base. Ran out of apoxy, the new apoxy is white instead of natural.

Here is a really poor quality sneak peak, I’ll edit with decent picks this evening sometime.

EDIT:
                sorry about no update, out “good”computer is refusing to connect to the internet again….

Falcolf
                Participant

Your hippocampus is looking crazy good, I’m loving the scales and I definitely agree that the model horse community would be into this. ๐Ÿ˜€ I’d try for a start (when this is done) posting photos/a photo collage of it to deviantART and then getting it reblogged in a model horse group – I believe that there’s several. I think for the most part model horse people just do their stuff via blogs/websites in general for the most part though – when they aren’t putting their work in shows. Anyway, that’s my two cents! This is seriously looking awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€ I can’t wait to see more!

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Prezaurian
                  Participant

Very, very cool. I’m just really looking forward to seeing this sculpt when you’re done. Thanks for showing pictures of your tools! OH! What brand of apoxie are you using if I may ask?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.