Creating a Breyer Hippocampus ~ FINISHED!!!!!!

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Creating a Breyer Hippocampus ~ FINISHED!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author

Per general interest, I am creating a thread showing how I am doing this. I was originally asked to do a Grand Unicorn rescue that ran into a legal conflict. So instead, I was asked to do it with a plastic breyer horse. I’ll be posting my detailed progress as I work on it here.

EDIT: Changed the thread name. I guess the correct-er term is a hippocampus, a capricorn is a goat fish.

Original thread found here: http://windstoneeditions.com/forum/looking-creative-repair-artist

Continuing below V

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
    www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
    Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

For those who were still curious about this, She sent me a breyer to get started on.

I am super excited for this. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks you guys!

For those interested in how I do some of my armatures, here is a collection of links showing a lot of today’s progress.

A full album of the progress can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.845564398826250.1073741841.593146274068065&type=1

And here are a couple pics of the armature for the tail:

I should make a thread for this. ๐Ÿ™‚ Anyone interested in following my progress on this?

I am most definitely interested in seeing progress on this. And as a side comment, the wire framework is very detailed! Have you considered trying your hand at some wire wrap sculptures?

No, I have not, but that would be fun. I have done a few pipe cleaner sculptures that can be found on my arts thread though. ๐Ÿ™‚ I would definitely be open to it though if anyone wanted one. I love sculpting! Always been my favorite aside of drawing. Shame I don’t do more… I could use some good practice!

OK, enough lazy quoting, I’ll post further progress here on this thread.

EDIT: Yesterday’s Progress:

After covering the Breyer’s tail armature in foil, I have began the first couple layers of apoxie sculpt. The first (below) clings to the flexible foil. This layer is very thin and serves the purpose of creating a solid base upon which I can build upon. (i do alot of critical think during my planning stages when I do projects.) ๐Ÿ™‚

After letting the first layer dry, I can start the second and begin filling in some of those rigid holes. Smoothing it out and beginning on the fins now. After it is smoothed, I can begin creating muscle form. I have only filled in the holes up to the ridges. I stopped mid progress last night though,as I was not feeling to well and needed to lay down.

I found that one of the legs I cut off makes for a decent stand the prop the breyer upside down so the apoxie can dry. Lets me do more than one side at a time. Will probably only work until a point though. I am sure it will reach a point where the tail is too heavy.

Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Prezaurian
    Participant

-laughs- I always like finding a use for the ‘odds and ends’ pieces. And I was wondering what sculpting material you were going to use! I’m only familiar with using Sculpey and that sure wouldn’t have worked for this…unless you go for the melted plastic look! lol

Also, I like the proportions you used. They have a really nice transition!

dragonmedley
      Participant

This is looking spectacular!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Falcolf
        Participant

I’m really looking forwards to seeing what this looks like done. ๐Ÿ˜€ Very ambitious project! ๐Ÿ™‚ Looking great so far!

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Ela_Hara
          Participant

WoW! It’s great to see the progress steps!
            I’ve thought of attempting an armature related piece but was never really sure how to begin and how to fill it out. I’ve only done some small sculpting work in Ceramics classes with clay – with small hand shaped pieces. These are Very helpful and informative. Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜€
            AND – he’s shaping up Beautifully!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
            Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
            Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
            *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Stormbreeze
            Participant

Hey, this is looking great so far! Beautiful work! ๐Ÿ™‚

[i]Keeping an eye out for fantasy gryphons and test paint dragons.[/i]

Thanks you guys. I’ll try and get another update today. Laundry’s computer is headed out to get some work done, so that means phone pics till hers comes back or I get a new computer. Which ever comes first.

This is a little bit random, but with both of our computers failing, I have some major issues with my work. I can’t do a whole lot in the range of prints, I can make cards anymore, I can’t adjust edit or upload any pics aside of off my phone. Would kickstarter be appropriate to raise money for a laptop and a printer upgrade? Would anybody be able to offer me advice on this? How does one create a good kick starter campaign. This would be my first Kick starter if I did. Can anyone offer some tips/ be willing to give me a hand setting up and designing one? The upgrade would also double the amount of things I can create with my work and greatly expand my business.

Melissa
              Participant

To the best of my knowledge, a computer and printer upgrade for making art, would qualify for a Kickstarter campaign. I’ve never run a kickstarter campaign, but have thought about it and backed some, so here’s my two cents.

1. I love seeing when people post pie charts with all their expenses, (shipping, kickstarter fees etc) as it shows transparency, and careful planning.

2. I’d recommend a generous timeline and a number limit for reward tiers that include handmade items, to avoid getting overwhelmed. (a number limit would be far less critical for prints)

3. And explain exactly what the kickstarter is for, how each item helps your work, and exactly what someone gets for each reward tier, the high quality materials in each reward, what challenges or risks could present themselves, and how you’d overcome them. (this is probably completely obvious to you, but I see a lot of campaigns ignoring it and tanking, so thought I’d mention it.)

Hopefully someone who’s actually ran a campaign or two will chip in. Please keep us posted.

(awesome Hippocampus by the way)

Edit: I checked the Kickstarter site, they have something called the ‘Creators handbook’ basically a series of user-friendly how-to pages. Pretty well written.

SPark
                Participant

I’ve done three successful kickstarter campaigns, and I can talk shop about it if you’d like. There is a TON of material out there about it, though much of it is aimed at games and gadgets rather than art. Still, I suggest doing some googling about how to run a kickstarter, you’ll find quite a lot that’s useful.

I’ve done three successful kickstarter campaigns, and I can talk shop about it if you’d like. There is a TON of material out there about it, though much of it is aimed at games and gadgets rather than art. Still, I suggest doing some googling about how to run a kickstarter, you’ll find quite a lot that’s useful.

SPark, would you by chance be able to help me organize and design my kickstarter then? I just want to make sure I do not end up messing up and missing really important info and Laundry2011 does not really know anything about kickstarter, just as much as I know. My brain has been a tad scattered with lupus fog lately. This would be a very big endeavor on my part. ๐Ÿ™‚ I do some looking to.

Thanks you guys! And Thanks for the compliment on the hippocamp. I’ll have pics tomorrow!

Ela_Hara
                  Participant

Yes, please keep us informed about your Kickstarter and its potential start time, etc.

I for one, would love to participate since I like assisting other artists in this manner to help ‘Pay it Forward’ when I can. ๐Ÿ™‚

Another update on this big guy; I have been lacking in those lately:

I have finished the base layers on the tail and sanded to surface to even it out and remove pits and bumps. I start the scales soon. It is actually very smooth, but has slight variations between tones the batches of apoxie giving it the appearence of an uneven surface.

Ela_Hara
                    Participant

Looking Great!
                      Will you be doing raised scales?

Prezaurian
                      Participant

I’m very interested to see the process you use for scales. What kind of scales are you planning? Reptilian, fish, a mixture or something else entirely?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.