Creating a Breyer Hippocampus ~ FINISHED!!!!!!

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Creating a Breyer Hippocampus ~ FINISHED!!!!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Linda
    Participant

I am not a artist but I love the sea horse I think it turned out wonderful. As for the SK OMG you got a SK you lucky duck.

Prezaurian
      Participant

Gorgeous! She’s (he’s?) HUGE! Now, I hate to critique artists who are better at any skill than me (and that’s most lol) but to be really picky (because at first glance,-WOW!) I’d say where the horn is attached looks awkward. It doesn’t look like it could happen in the wild (assuming that hippocampi are real animals) and the angle of the horn too-I prefer unicorns with horns that have a 15-20 degree angle so it stands up a little more straight. Also, the silver stripes in the mane could be blended more. They seem a little harsh.

On the other paw, I LOVE the soft feathering of the red and orange patches on the tail, and the appaloosa spots. The texture of the rock is great too-I’m amazed you sculpted the whole thing (even though I have been stalking this thread ^_^) and I love the free flowing nature of the tail fins-great job! I’m thinking if there was a way to get the waves to be translucent if you did something like this in the future-maybe some sort of acrylic/resin? Totally kick it up a notch. Still love this one <3

I also like the rocks, waves and flowing fins. The texturing and shape are very nice on all of it. I’m not sure how feasible it would be on a project like this, but they do sell translucent sculpey if you’re interested in trying that in the future (the downside is that sculpey requires baking to set up).

I agree with the others about the horn. I’m not sure how necessary it is. I think this sculpture would look just fine without it. To me it just doesn’t match up with the quality of the rest of the work you’ve done.

As for the paint job, I like it very much. Individually each component (fish & horse) look great. My only tweak would be the transition between horse and fish could be smoother in the paint scheme.

Overall, I think this is really a fantastic piece. My critiques are really very minor. I applaud the amount of work you put into him. The forms and colors are lovely and I think you should be really proud of yourself. Leah is lucky to get such a nice piece. Very nice!

Gorgeous! She’s (he’s?) HUGE! Now, I hate to critique artists who are better at any skill than me (and that’s most lol) but to be really picky (because at first glance,-WOW!) I’d say where the horn is attached looks awkward. It doesn’t look like it could happen in the wild (assuming that hippocampi are real animals) and the angle of the horn too-I prefer unicorns with horns that have a 15-20 degree angle so it stands up a little more straight. Also, the silver stripes in the mane could be blended more. They seem a little harsh.

On the other paw, I LOVE the soft feathering of the red and orange patches on the tail, and the appaloosa spots. The texture of the rock is great too-I’m amazed you sculpted the whole thing (even though I have been stalking this thread ^_^) and I love the free flowing nature of the tail fins-great job! I’m thinking if there was a way to get the waves to be translucent if you did something like this in the future-maybe some sort of acrylic/resin? Totally kick it up a notch. Still love this one <3

I also like the rocks, waves and flowing fins. The texturing and shape are very nice on all of it. I’m not sure how feasible it would be on a project like this, but they do sell translucent sculpey if you’re interested in trying that in the future (the downside is that sculpey requires baking to set up).

I agree with the others about the horn. I’m not sure how necessary it is. I think this sculpture would look just fine without it. To me it just doesn’t match up with the quality of the rest of the work you’ve done.

As for the paint job, I like it very much. Individually each component (fish & horse) look great. My only tweak would be the transition between horse and fish could be smoother in the paint scheme.

Overall, I think this is really a fantastic piece. My critiques are really very minor. I applaud the amount of work you put into him. The forms and colors are lovely and I think you should be really proud of yourself. Leah is lucky to get such a nice piece. Very nice!

Thanks everyone! Per the horn, it was specifically requested and I had a really hard time trying ti attaching since the head is hollow, hence the slight indifference. I noticed it too, but despite my best efforts, its the only way it would set. I actually want to learn to do casting, I thought it would have been really cool to mold and cast the waves and then cast them in clear tinted acrylic, never got to the point of being able to actually do it though.

The silver in the mane is a mix of soft airbrushing at the tips and leafing on the ridges, it doesnt look as stark as the picture showed, but the bright lighting made my camera create more contrast. Thanks for the critique everyone, lots of things to note, and I learned a toooon of new stuff while making this, it was definitely an adventure!

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
        www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
        Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

I am not a artist but I love the sea horse I think it turned out wonderful. As for the SK OMG you got a SK you lucky duck.

Yes, she is our crown jewel of the nest and sits high upon my night stand guarding my precious books and aqua aura quartz.

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
        www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
        Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.