fbpx

What's your grail piece(s)?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone What's your grail piece(s)?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 1,692 total)
  • Author
    Nightcrow
    Participant

I remember the griffin, because I was instantly smitten – I’d been yearning for a griffin in that color range for a long time!  But I must admit that I’d totally forgotten the artist’s name.  Nor can I recall anything about her or other pieces she may have done, though I’m pretty sure that there weren’t any other Leucistic Redtail griffs made… unfortunately!  Wish I had more info for you.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

silkenwinds37
      Participant

My grail was always an Emporer dragon since the early 90s when I started collecting and got my first piece, a Jade scratcher. And now one is on the way in Black Gold, which was the last in stock and I thought he looked marvelous in that color scheme. So I am happy to say that after SO many years an Emporer is finally flying his way to my house!

So I guess now my new grail is a Secret Keeper…I’m working on it!!

Nightcrow
        Participant

Congratulations on your Emperor, silkenwinds!  Nabbing the last one in stock is always a great feeling, isn’t it?  🙂

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

silkenwinds37
          Participant

Thank you and it IS a wonderful feeling. The same thing happened with a shell pink spectral I just got 😉 2018 is my year for Windstones! Going broke of course but all worth it!

Nightcrow
            Participant

It’s definitely a wonderful feeling – I managed to slip the last Blue Morpho Male Griffin into my cart a few months ago, and it felt positively triumphant.  😉

Hurrah for your Windstone Year!

That last sentence is the sentiment engraved on the heart of every Windstone collector, so it sounds like you’re officially One Of Us.  Congrats again, and welcome to the tribe!  😀

silkenwinds37
              Participant

LOL thank you Nightcrow, best club I ever joined! But I fell in love with Melody’s work as far back as high school! When did you see or buy your first? I saw my first at a scifi con of all places! The guy had the white dragon family. I wanted the male so bad but my dad would not buy it. Some time later a store in the mall had them (said store no longer exists unfortunately) and I saw the jade scratching dragon and the look on my face was the same as my avatar pic 😆 I did not have the money but the store owner offered layaway and I was like YES!! $10 a week for several months and then I took him home so happy!!

Nightcrow
                Participant

Wow, that was nice of him to offer you a layaway plan!  And it’s so cool that it was the White Dragons you fell in love with; they were much less commonly stocked so I love hearing from members who encountered them.  They were my gateway to Windstones!

My friend in 7th/8th grade had the female Kirin, so I was aware of Windstones on one level, but it wasn’t until high school when I encountered the White dragon family in a Glass Menagerie shop at the mall that I fell utterly in love.  The minute I laid eyes on those dragons I knew I had to have them, so I saved up my money until I could purchase the White Mother.  I could’ve stopped saving earlier and bought a smaller piece, but I really wanted my first to be a large/impressive piece, so I kept at it till I could get a big one.  🙂

After that I saved up for the Young, and it basically snowballed from there, although it took me many years to put together a complete family and that shop sadly went out of business before I had all the White dragons my heart desired.

Had a similar experience with the Peacock Oriental – walked into another shop (same mall!) where I had ordered pieces before, intending to order another White dragon… behind the counter on a shelf they had the Peacock Oriental, and it was love at first sight!  I placed my order for the White dragon, but also walked out of the store with the Peacock Ori that same day.  🙂  Some years later I acquired the other two Orientals in Peacock, too, and now I’m dreaming (and squeaking) for a Moon Oriental in Peacock to complete the set.

A while later, when I was in college, I found a Male Kirin for a great price on Ebay and figured he would look good with my Peacock Oriental; thus began my kirin collection.  And when I was in college the second time, Windstone was releasing lots of fabulous test paints on Ebay, so I ended up with a gorgeous Old Warrior.  This led to my Lap Dragon numbers expanding (I bought one in the OW’s color when it become a Limited Production option, and just kept going) so now the Lap Conga is its own separate part of my Windstone hoard.

Things grew from there.  😀  One day I’ll take a clipboard and notebook and walk around my house for an official inventory/count of my Windstones, just to see precisely how many there are.

tig3r06
                  Participant

My first, is my white scratcher that I still have.  I love the white ones sooo much!  I need more display space and then might go for the whole white family. I would love a white sk and ow especially.  My 2nd and 3rd were a ruby Male and peacock mom, both have been sold to loving homes.  The white scratcher I purchased the 1st time I saw him at a store at pike st market in Seattle. The other 2 in cda st silver lake mall. Both places no longer have windstones as far as I’ve saw…sad.  Then I tried a grab bag finally and it all went goodbye money lol. The sitting kirin grab bag was my first and i went crazy, for the most part i kinda do most grab bags 🤣…along with some partners in crime who do the same lmao.  I’m “trying” to stay a couple themes to limit my hoarding.  I LOVE Melody’s art so much!  And the pyo’s, since moving I haven’t started back up yet as most of my stuff is still stored, but I’m going nuts not being able to paint!  Welcome and enjoy the addiction 😊

silkenwinds37
                    Participant

Thanks for sharing guys! I love reading these stories 🙂

Nightcrow
                      Participant

Tig3r, thanks for sharing!  Another collector who started with Whites, yay!  There should be a club or a badge or something.  🙂

I know what you mean about “trying” to stick with certain themes; I’m really bad at it, but I also *try* to limit my collection that way!  It just ends up with me having a lot of themes instead.  Let’s see…

White westerns

White spectrals

White/Gold Koi pyo dragons

Variety lap dragons

Variety OWs

Peacock orientals

Brown & Albino kirins

Natural griffins (one dad, two babies)

Fantasy griffins (one pair)

Colorshift cougars

Natural sitting red foxes

Fantasy fennecs

Siamese pyo kitty griffins

two Mouse Wizards in different colors

and a bunch of other PYOs with no unifying theme!

Yeah, I’m doing so well at this “limits” thing.  XD

Nightcrow
                        Participant

I hope you get that White SK one day, Tig3r! I want one, too – it’s just about the only piece in White I don’t have, barring a couple of sculpts I’m just not fond of – so if you get one first be sure to post pictures for me to drool over? 🙂

Grab bags didn’t capture me until very recently; my first was the Sitting Red Fox GB, but there was a long stretch between that and my second (the Loaf Dragon). I *almost* went for the Lady Cats, and kind of regret that I didn’t, but since Melody has said there might be more I’m excited about that! And from the most recent Fennec GB I managed to snag two, but am now being reminded of the problem with grab bags: namely, that if you get two similar pieces it can be hard to find a trade and then you’re stuck. :/ So my GB enthusiasm might be cooled again for a while if I can’t get this Fennec off my hands one way or another.

This has reminded me to go and squeak for silhouette Lady Cats, though, so that’s helpful!

fatalbeauty
                          Participant

o.O lots of activity all of a sudden!

nothing new on my grails being found yet though, still waiting for a licking cat and a sitting cat to appear….

4 things I'm looking for:
                            1. Mother Meerkat
                            2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                            3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                            4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

fatalbeauty
                            Participant

been awhile since this was posted in, any new grails to share?

4 things I'm looking for:
                              1. Mother Meerkat
                              2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                              3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                              4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

LZ
                              Participant

I think I am all set with spectral dragons in colors I like, unless something new comes up with test paints on eBay. I got my pink. I got my white.  I got my pastel rainbow, which is so lovely. Maybe more single-color pastels will be made, or maybe I can get my paws on this “blue ice.” He’s FABULOUS!

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

silkenwinds37
                                Participant

I agree what a lovely color scheme that is ! I have the spectral in shell pink and that is fast becoming one of my favorite colors.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 1,692 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.