fbpx

What Do You Do?

Home Forums Miscellany Community What Do You Do?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    Bodine
    Participant

Lol,thanks Sherry.I just draped me it around my neck.Gosh it’s heavy.My wedding dress was a black velvet fitted halter dress with rainbow sparkle sequins all over it.lolol

Pickelsoap8…I am painting already.Mr.Richard(landlord) nicknamed me rocket.Once I take off there’s no stopping me.😆

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
      Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

pipsxlch
      Participant

I agree!

Picklesoap, you can afford to be a caretaker for your mom and sister before? In my state, family members are barred from receiving any benefits for taking care of their loved ones, unless it’s a private matter arranged within the family. It scares me, as both my mom and my husband are elderly and needing more and more of my care when I get off work. But I have to work 40+ hour weeks just to try to keep the bills paid. I don’t know how we’ll manage as they grow needier.
        Ironically, I AM a caregiver, to a 90 year old lady with dementia.

Bodine
        Participant

You are very special ladies to do what you do. My mom always said when she got needy that I would be the one to take care of her. Sadly,she was very mistaken.I don’t think I would be able to do what y’all do day after day.I know that sounds awful but it’s the truth. Bless y’all’s big hearts💖

picklesoap8
          Participant

@pipsxlch I can’t afford anything, sadly. Taking care of my mom is full time, I don’t have any other job; plus I don’t drive. We live off my mom’s retirement check which is extremely difficult to say the least but we manage. I just wish I could be making money to save to buy a house or something. We really don’t like the area where we live, so it’d be great to get out of here. I’ve got a lot of my own health issues as well- back problems from lifting my sister & major anxiety/panic disorder issues.

God Bless you with taking care of a 90 year old dementia patient. That must be so hard.

picklesoap8
            Participant

Thanks, @Bodine. 🙂 That’s not awful to say either, it’s not easy to take care of a parent. I couldn’t do what you do! You do so much work with fixing properties, idk how you do it. I think it must feel so rewarding to be able to do that type of work & see such results. I wish I could fix things up. My whole house & yard need fixing that I just can’t tackle. I’m overwhelmed by the amount of work that needs to be done.

Bodine
              Participant

Oh I pay for working like that dear.I have to crawl out of the truck sometimes I hurt so bad but I am a firm believer in if you stop,you die.I have to keep moving or my body doesn’t want to.I am 60 but I can still outwork many half my age.I just “rolled out” that entire house,minus trim and 3closets, kitchen was done,in 5hours by myself today,no breaks.Yeah baby😊 That is 3br,2 baths, dinning room,huge living room and foyer.I’m a painting fool.

sherry10151982
                Participant

I actually love to paint houses. It relaxes me so I can see how you can get that done quickly. It’s hard work though no doubt!!!

Bodine
                  Participant

My dog beside me,check,music blasting,check,walls & paint ready,check….blast off🤣
                    I guess like a runner, adrenaline kicks in, endorphins fire off,get in the zone.

Bodine
                    Participant

41hrs,all done awaiting the new floors.Whew so glad.I have pulled triple duty for two weeks,I hurt😄

Ela_Hara
                      Participant

Once I get started on something it’s hard for me to stop too.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                        Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                        Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                        *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Bodine
                        Participant

Yep,it sure is.Forward momentum and wanting to get the job done drives me.I just finished caulking,spackling,sanding,and painting a 10 room,2 hallway house by myself in 38 hrs.yesterday.Whew!

Kim
                          Blocked

Speaking of taking care of older moms, my mom is 70 now and I’m 36 and I basically transitioned from living with her as a roommate so we could both save money on housing to now having to look after her too. I never expected this so soon as I was just trying to gain my independence the last few years, hoping to get my own house and get married and have a family and now I’m not sure what will happen. My mom fell on ice last year and bruised her legs up very badly. After that she was getting constant pain, could hardly walk or drive anymore and had trouble getting up and down stairs in the townhouse we lived in. I had to buy an automatic car as she couldn’t drive the standard anymore, we moved to a bi-level house so she has her bedroom on the main floor now and I went from buying her pain medications and creams, to getting her a cane to now recently having to buy her a better cane, walker, shower chair and handles for the tub to get in and out of the shower. She can barely walk anymore without holding onto her cane plus furniture, walls, people, etc. It’s just gotten progressively worse and worse very quickly. Last year she was able to go dog walking with me which is one business I have. Now she can’t even go out of the house herself without her walker or holding onto two people. She doesn’t drive anymore or go anywhere unless I drive her now.

We finally saw the doctor and got blood tests and ultrasounds done and she is also diabetic so we were worried about that affecting her nerves in her legs. The doctor said she has tendinosis in her legs and arthritis but she was fine a year ago so I feel like it was her fall that caused this. We talked to a lawyer about what to do and if we can sue because she fell in the parking lot of a church we go to. They said she could use physiotherapy but we don’t have coverage for that unless we can sue for her medical expenses but my mom didn’t want bad blood with the church. It’s a messy situation and I’m constantly worried about her now because I never thought I would have to take care of my mom at this age and we don’t have the money for anyone else to help her or for her to live in a place that she would get care. It’s very scary because my grandma went into a nursing home around the age of 80 but my grandma had houses we sold to pay for her care. My mom and I don’t own anything now to sell like that to pay for anything and it makes me mad that nursing homes charge twice as much money as my mom gets for her retirement cheque each month. I thought I’d maybe have to worry about this in 10 years but not now. She is terrified of falling again and can’t go anywhere outside the house now without my help. I hope I can find either senior’s housing for her with more help and accessibility or buy a house with a suite she could live in if I get married so I can still help her. We will see.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Bodine
                            Participant

Oh goodness Kim,tough situation.I would still talk to the people at the church.All sorts of people from all walks of life go to church so you never know where the help can come from.Churches and golf courses,many different professions in one place.Someone more than likely will be able to help in some way or another.Talk to them Kim.It wouldn’t hurt.At least you may be pointed in the right direction,at the least maybe get someone to come help you a few days a week and give you some private time.It is a “fellowship”after all right? So speak up, can’t hurt.Good luck.

sherry10151982
                              Participant

The church is definitely a good place to start asking for some help. They are there to help those in need and it sounds like you have a great need for some help. Many churches have programs to help individuals in your mother’s situation either by stopping by to help clean the house or help fix meals and even provide financial aid. Does Canada have assisted living for low income individuals?

Mary
                                Participant

I agree. Just don’t forget to take care of yourself as well!

Ditto that sage advice, Etruscan. One of the most stressful things is taking care of another person that is unable to take care of themselves. It’s great if there’s someone that can help out by providing some “personal time” to the caregiver, but often that’s not possible.

I sympathize with Picklesoap8 as I’d been taking care of my mother who was disabled for the past 6 years since Dad died, and she passed away in October a week after her 93 birthday. I have a sister that came from out of state a few times a year to provide some relief time for myself, but it is stressful because of the demands that it puts on doing things that are enjoyable.

I spent decades as a computer consultant/security analyst, and figured I’d be spending my retirement fishing instead of care-taking, but now grateful that I got to spend my mom’s last years with her. This year they’ll be time for myself.

Don’t get discouraged Picklesoap8. When you get overly stressed, take a walk outside in nature. I found that helps alleviate some of the stress. Good luck to you

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 151 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.