fbpx

Red fire

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

*Goes to google alexandrite…*

frozendragon
      Participant

Lupin wrote:

October’s Opal is almost always replaced with it’s “alternate” of Pink/Rose Quartz, or aparently now on the Net they say it’s Pink Tourmaline?(What the hell have my family been buying me since I’ve been born? it always says Rose Qurtz, even the GD Barbies???:? ). EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Any wonder why I have so few Birthstone things?

Opal is very pretty….I like the dark Opal…

but apparently Opal is supposed to be bad luck to wear if it’s not your birthstone….

Purplecat
        Participant

Bah! My wedding ring is dark blue opals, so I disagree! πŸ˜€ It’s my favorite stone to wear! πŸ˜€

frozendragon
          Participant

purplecat wrote:

Bah! My wedding ring is dark blue opals, so I disagree! πŸ˜€ It’s my favorite stone to wear! πŸ˜€

just what I heard…

there are things I’ve worn and had bad luck….and the next time I wore them I had bad luck again….

so I got rid of them….LOL

but they were usually shirts…

Jennifer
            Keymaster

purplecat wrote:

Wow! I would have loved opals in mine, but I’m always bashing my hands on things and doing things that get my hands very hot or cold, so I’d end up destroying the opal. I used to have a peridot ring I wore that I broke one of the poor peridots right in half. x_x I’m too rough on my hands. I have a few opal rings but I don’t wear them daily.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

twindragonsmum
              Participant

frozendragon wrote:

Lupin wrote:

October’s Opal is almost always replaced with it’s “alternate” of Pink/Rose Quartz, or aparently now on the Net they say it’s Pink Tourmaline?(What the hell have my family been buying me since I’ve been born? it always says Rose Qurtz, even the GD Barbies???:? ). EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Any wonder why I have so few Birthstone things?

but apparently Opal is supposed to be bad luck to wear if it’s not your birthstone….

Okay, the jeweler/folklorist side of me has some info you might find interesting…

The misconception of opals being bad luck generally come from an incomplete reading of Sir Walter Scott’s novels, “Anne of Geierstein”. The reading public jumped to the conclusion that the heroine was cursed, that her opal lost its color when it touched holy water and that she dies because of this. Si Frazier did a careful study of the novels and wrote an interesting article for Lapidary Journal in which he refutes those conclusions. The opal, which actually belonged to Anne’s grandmother, turns pale, as a warning to it’s owner, against poisoning (which was the cause of her grandmother’s death). This work of fiction and the public’s reaction to it, plunged opal prices to nearly half in less than a year and crippled the European opal market for decades. Some opal merchants claim that the diamond brokers of the mid 19th and early 20th centuries, felt that the opal would be a serious threat to their livelihood and so they spread the belief that opals were bad luck to protect themselves and give opals a bad reputation.

In Roman times, however, the opal was used as a good luck talisman. They believed that the opal, like the rainbow, brought its owner good fortune. It was also believed to clarify by amplifying and mirroring feelins, buried emotions and desires. It was also thought to lessen inhibitions and promote spontaneity. The early Greeks believed the opal bestowed powers of foresight and prophecy upon its owner, while in Arabian folklore, it is said that the stone fell from heaven in flashes of lightning. To the Romans, it was considered to be a token of hope and purity. Shakespeare described the opal as “that miracle and queen of gems”. Oriental traditions refer to opals as “the anchor of hope”.

twindragonsmum

tdm

Purplecat
                Participant

Oh cool! Thanks for sharing! I always love more info on opals! πŸ˜€

Bob

thank you very much that was very informative

KoishiiKitty
                    Participant

I remember reading that, they also thought there was a connection between sick people and opals too. how silly.
                      nice info! i was not aware of all the details.

I have opals and opals. rings and plain stones. i just love them.(time to do a fire opal dragon)
                      I am big on gems and minerals in general, but there is a soft spot for opals.

we even buaght my dad an opal tie tack and he loves it!

purplecat wrote:

My birthstone is the peridot. I loooove my momma wolf griffin with her peridot colored stones! Opals are my all time favorite stone though, along with ammolite. πŸ˜€

Yep that is mine too, and the reason I want a set of each PYO with green eyes and had to have the wolf gryphons.

frozendragon
                      Participant

twindragonsmum wrote:

frozendragon wrote:

Lupin wrote:

Okay, the jeweler/folklorist side of me has some info you might find interesting…

The misconception of opals being bad luck generally come from an incomplete reading of Sir Walter Scott’s novels, “Anne of Geierstein”. The reading public jumped to the conclusion that the heroine was cursed, that her opal lost its color when it touched holy water and that she dies because of this. Si Frazier did a careful study of the novels and wrote an interesting article for Lapidary Journal in which he refutes those conclusions. The opal, which actually belonged to Anne’s grandmother, turns pale, as a warning to it’s owner, against poisoning (which was the cause of her grandmother’s death). This work of fiction and the public’s reaction to it, plunged opal prices to nearly half in less than a year and crippled the European opal market for decades. Some opal merchants claim that the diamond brokers of the mid 19th and early 20th centuries, felt that the opal would be a serious threat to their livelihood and so they spread the belief that opals were bad luck to protect themselves and give opals a bad reputation.

In Roman times, however, the opal was used as a good luck talisman. They believed that the opal, like the rainbow, brought its owner good fortune. It was also believed to clarify by amplifying and mirroring feelins, buried emotions and desires. It was also thought to lessen inhibitions and promote spontaneity. The early Greeks believed the opal bestowed powers of foresight and prophecy upon its owner, while in Arabian folklore, it is said that the stone fell from heaven in flashes of lightning. To the Romans, it was considered to be a token of hope and purity. Shakespeare described the opal as “that miracle and queen of gems”. Oriental traditions refer to opals as “the anchor of hope”.

twindragonsmum

that’s cool…learn something new every day….

Jodi
                        Participant

OK. To get this thread back on track:

Red Fire Mother Dragon

Red Fire Male Dragon

I guess the Male got a little more flash than the Mother, but they’re pretty close to the real colors.

Stephanie
                          Participant

Those are so pretty! Thanks for sharing the pictures!!! πŸ˜€

Now lets see here… I want the mother and the male and when they come out the young and rising spectral and an OW… Oooo and a scratcher too….:P COME ON INCOME TAX SEASON! Get Here Soon So that I can get some bigger production pieces!!! πŸ˜€ lol

frozendragon
                            Participant

very pretty….

Maria
                              Participant

Nice photos, emerald. I so want an OW in that color…
                                Twindragonsmum, I think you’ve given me incentive to add another boook to my extensive to-read list… πŸ˜†

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 144 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.