fbpx

PYOs – gem & eye info sizes, sources, etc.

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone PYOs – gem & eye info sizes, sources, etc.

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 143 total)
  • Author

I have some new Dichroic colors! They are also available in Aura. I will be listing them soon on my etsy shop. Here is the Pics!

Dichroic Plum, and Moonstone may be sold already. but I still have the other Dichroic colors available. These are all size 11mm for Keepers. But They can be made for Youngs, Phoenixes, Unis, Griffins, Kirins, and even wolves. More colors to be added soon! 🙂

KoishiiKitty
    Participant

Hay guys, could we get some photos posted here of the pyo’s in which eyes from different suppliers were used? I really would like to have a consolidation of reference photos I could go to to see how certian eyes look, but it would also be convienient for commissioners.

I really like looking at the images provided so far.

Carolyn
      Participant

Ok note to those who replace eyes . If you have any unsed eyes That you got from Windstone . Send them back to Windstone . Susie told me this . Just ask her for the address .
        I think it is
        Susie Hartney
        Comtomer Service
        then the Store address . Check with her .

Hannah
        Participant

The reason that I get a plethora of different eye colors is because when I am painting a sculpt I never know which eyes I’m going to use in the end. Until I am completely done with painting Windstones (hopefully no time soon) I will be keeping all of my eyes. I don’t think there’s anything unfair about this.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
          Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Just for reference, and I hate to pose restrictions, but I have to ask that no one discuss eye sizes/replacing production piece eyes or gems here in public. (What you do in emails is none of my business)

The reason for this is it actually can create more confusion than repaints, which seems silly, but consider: To a Windstone collector, if you see a color scheme on a production piece that you’ve never seen before, you know there are two options: 1. It was a special eBay or store piece that you weren’t aware of and so you’d like to see the bottom felt pad to see which it might be, or 2. It’s a repaint, in which case the felt pad SHOULD be marked by the painter.
            If someone is unscrupulously trying to pass a repaint as an official Windstone, it would be hard to fool a collector. It wouldn’t be hard to fool Average Joe, though, which is one reason they are discouraged, but that’s off topic.

When someone skillfully changes only the eyes and/or gems in a production piece, it’s hard if not impossible to tell it’s been done. Some Windstones that are rare are worth considerably MORE with only a different eye or gem color (just like mistakes in minting coins, a mistake Windstone is worth more, sometimes a lot more). You can see where someone just trying to bring a bigger profit might be tempted to do this.

We have had at least two cases of this happening and it’s very disappointing. I hope you can understand my perspective here. I’m actually just trying to look after other collectors, since this is on pieces that Windstone already sold and won’t see a dime out of.

NOTE: If a gemstone or whatever fell out of and is MISSING from your production piece, of course you may replace it. However, the best thing is to contact Susie directly, instead of asking here. Thanks!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Hannah
            Participant

Here are some Gold eyes by Tohickon glass in a PYO Keeper:

Glass eyes called “Stippled dark brown” by Tohickon glass (11mm):

A custom order I with Tohichon glass (they are awesome about custom orders and don’t charge that much more than their production line for them). I asked for metallic teal because I like the Windstone color very much – I got this, which I love just as much and looks to me like Metallic Sky Blue.

A custom order for Metallic Grass Green:

Tohickon’s Silver glass eyes (can you tell I like this company? XD):

Tohickon’s “Stippled Pale Yellow”:

Custom ordered Zombie eyes – I also got these in 8mm and 11mm sooo you can probably expect to see more zombies in the future to see how the eyes look in other sculpts too XD

Hannah
              Participant

Sorry Jennifer! I pulled down the picture of the Emp and the eye description for that piece.

WolfenMachine
                Participant

I also found this chart and thought it might be helpful since it has a picture of the sizes

http://www.rhinestoneshop.com/rhinestone-sizes/images/sizechart.gif

I went back and measured the sockets on the kirin. The kirin in particular-at least mine, sockets measure out to nearly 9mms. Because the sockets on the kirin is significantly shallower than the young dragon and griffin, I will have to relegate them to 9mm size status. All the PYOs mentioned have a 9mm measurement at the BACK of the sockets, but since the opening of the kirin’s socket is so shallow it is much more evident. I’m thinking that even though some of the newer castings really measure out to 8’s they still seem too small. It has to be the profiles. The glass eyes have a weird, higher profile, that causes them to seat differently in the sockets, they are not as flat on the backs either.
                  Because my castings set flush to very back of the sockets, and are lower in profile, I think all previous 8mm PYO’s sizings will have to be up-sized to 9’s. (At least it is only a 50 cent price increase, regardless of treatment.) Any client who has ordered 8mms from me in the past, and they are too small, please mail them back and I will replace them all with the new size for free.

I’m so sorry folks!!!!
                  Amanda

Hannah
                  Participant

Hey! Thanks for posting that Wolfen! The sizes on gems has always confused the heck out of me, especially when I purchase them from a dealer who labels them in BOTH sizes – as in, sometimes they are labeled in PP, sometimes SS >< ARGH! XD

WolfenMachine
                    Participant
                      Hannah
                      Participant

Those doll eyes are seriously gorgeous!! I’ve thought about asking those people if they can make eyes without the whites, because I think with whites they would look really creepy in PYOs XD The glitter is awesome though.

The only thing that concerns me about the other eyes, other than them having a really thin profile (would look wall-eyed in a PYO) is that I think they are glass with paper probably glued on the back – if you look closely, you can see that the eyes are identical in pattern to each other when they are in pairs, and there’s no way anyone could do that with glass! IF they are just paper backed, they might not last terribly long >< They are quite beautiful though.

Misty
                        Participant

The only thing that concerns me about the other eyes, other than them having a really thin profile (would look wall-eyed in a PYO) is that I think they are glass with paper probably glued on the back – if you look closely, you can see that the eyes are identical in pattern to each other when they are in pairs, and there’s no way anyone could do that with glass! IF they are just paper backed, they might not last terribly long >< They are quite beautiful though.

Another word of caution on these eyes, the “white spot” on the eye is not a reflection. It is a part of the eye design itself. And Hannah is right, the backing is basically a photo stuck on. They are pretty but I don’t know how well they will last in a PYO.

New Listings! Here is the link! :

http://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamingtreestudio …they are already going quick!

KaytanaPhoenix
                          Participant

Hopefully someone see’s this posted here XD lol

On the small dragons tail gem.. the list says 5mm fits, but most places only have like 5.25mm or a 4.something or other.. which would be a better fit? I’d hate to guess it wrong if someone here already knows ;p lol *Knows /nothing/ about these gems* I’m learning as I go XD lol

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 143 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.