PYOs – gem & eye info sizes, sources, etc.

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone PYOs – gem & eye info sizes, sources, etc.

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    Adaneth
    Participant

Thanks for compiling this, bayoudragon! πŸ˜€

I’d just like to add that I get most of my jewels for my PYO’s from valclaws on ebay. She is wonderful to deal with, and inexpensive. She ships quick and packs well. And her gems are absolutely beautiful! I recommend her with absolute confidence. 8)
      This is a link to her ebay store. The stones are worth the price she charges. I just love them! I haven’t ordered from anyone else since I found her store.
      http://stores.ebay.com/SandWitch-and-Warlock

Rachel
      Participant

I bought some Swarovski rhinestones from this place:
        http://www.prettysnazzy.com
        Great price, fast and inexpensive shipping.

Mmloda
        Participant

I was just wondering if anyone knows what size of eyes the Hippogriff Candlelamp has? :scratch:

Marzena

Jerusha
          Participant

Anybody try this site?
            http://www.jewelrysupply.com

I bought from firemountain gems about ten years ago because I needed a bulk set of Swarovskis in one color, and they were great. But I only have a couple PYOs right now, and while I want to have 4 or 5 different colors on hand to try out with the paint scheme once I’ve gotten it close to finished, I ultimately only need 2 of the same color. So, it doesn’t make sense to order 100+ of each color, paying a few bucks per lot, when I’d only end up using two from one lot!!! So, I stumbled upon the jewelrysupply.com website. They have packages of 10, 3mm chatons (pointed back) Swarovskis, in lots of different colors, for less than $1 per package. Sounds like a perfect fit for me…. $5 to get about 5 different colors (before shipping), and I’m sure I’ll find uses for the extras. Bonus – they’re cheaper than craft stores like Michael’s or Joann’s, neither of which carry the pointy-back jewels anyway. So, win/win, if they’re a good company.
            Anybody have any experience with them?

Lokie
            Participant

Jerusha wrote:

Anybody try this site?
              http://www.jewelrysupply.com

I bought from firemountain gems about ten years ago because I needed a bulk set of Swarovskis in one color, and they were great. But I only have a couple PYOs right now, and while I want to have 4 or 5 different colors on hand to try out with the paint scheme once I’ve gotten it close to finished, I ultimately only need 2 of the same color. So, it doesn’t make sense to order 100+ of each color, paying a few bucks per lot, when I’d only end up using two from one lot!!! So, I stumbled upon the jewelrysupply.com website. They have packages of 10, 3mm chatons (pointed back) Swarovskis, in lots of different colors, for less than $1 per package. Sounds like a perfect fit for me…. $5 to get about 5 different colors (before shipping), and I’m sure I’ll find uses for the extras. Bonus – they’re cheaper than craft stores like Michael’s or Joann’s, neither of which carry the pointy-back jewels anyway. So, win/win, if they’re a good company.
              Anybody have any experience with them?
              Yes, I’ve ordered from them and was very happy. The prices and color selection are great. I picked up a whole bunch of packs of tens in different colors to play with. My only gripe is that they don’t offer stones smaller than 3mm, so for unicorns, they may not be a perfect fit. But considering that some of the other companies require you to buy in bulk and the colors and sizes I wanted at Firemountain were like ~$6 a pack, I’m willing to make them work.

Jerusha
              Participant

Thank you, Lokie!!! Sounds like you were in the same situation I was. And since I’m not drawn to doing the PYO unicorns anytime soon, I’m ok with 3mm being the smallest size offered. I’m glad to know somebody has tried them out with good results. *definitely* planning to use them when the time comes to play with the jewels! (oh, that didn’t sound quite right 😳 tee hee)

Kujacker
                Participant

I’ve ordered from artbeads.com before. I’m not sure what backing you want, but these seem to only come with flat backs. But these are cheap, and they didn’t charge shipping (at the time, since I haven’t ordered in probably over a year. I stocked up a ton in just a few orders).

bayoudragon
                  Participant

Jerusha wrote:

Thank you, Lokie!!! Sounds like you were in the same situation I was. And since I’m not drawn to doing the PYO unicorns anytime soon, I’m ok with 3mm being the smallest size offered. I’m glad to know somebody has tried them out with good results. *definitely* planning to use them when the time comes to play with the jewels! (oh, that didn’t sound quite right 😳 tee hee)

LOL! πŸ˜†

If you guys keep finding sites, I will continue to add them. Just let me know of any limitations, such as size/shape limitations. That site would not work for me. I can pack 29 crystals on the uni, only 3 of which are bigger than 2mm. And yes, I know where each crystal goes, too. 😈 lol

Fire Mountain DOES carry packs of 12, but they range about $2.25+ a pack. I also order from London Mykal’s on ebay occaisonally. Recently, I asked Marci if she did custom orders, and I placed a BIG one. I just went to her store and chose the item number she had available and told her how much of each I wanted. She only charged me a $5.00 handling fee to recount and repack everything. If you want to place a small custom order, I would ask about the handling fee first.

Jerusha
                    Participant

Thanks, Bayoudragon! Yeah, sometime waaaay down the road I might get into the uni’s and need smaller sizes. But for now, I’m only doing the dragons and griffins, so 3mm+ is fine. And I’m working in such small quantities (got one PYO Dragon, one PYO griffin on the way, and jumping on the very next Keeper in stock!) that gee, if I could just order three stones, in about a half dozen colors each, I’d be set. So jewelrysupply.com is the best fit for that approach that I’ve found so far πŸ˜€ Plus, sadly, one or two of the colors I *really* wanted were only available starting in 144-stone lots at Fire Mountain Gems. Anyway, the more resources, the merrier! πŸ˜‰

Lokie
                      Participant

Jerusha wrote:

Definitely the same boat. I even made a thread asking if I can buy some colors off those who bought in bulk since I’d only need a few in each color. But a forum member PM’d that site and then I went a little nuts trying to hold back from buying everything 😳 I feel silly I forgot to share the link in this thread πŸ™„

bayoudragon wrote:

Fire Mountain DOES carry packs of 12, but they range about $2.25+ a pack.

Hmm, that’s interesting. Maybe I had checked them at a bad time because only one or two colors and sizes I wanted had the 1-14 option in stock. Plus $8 per pack (I just checked, it’s $8, not $6) for the other colors I wanted, all requiring gross orders. And with $8.00 shipping, I would have spent a fortune. Maybe I got to them after the forum had already cleaned their small stock baggies out =P But it’s OK, I only plan to use like 6 stones in the Uni since I’m not a big fan of bling, and I can carve the holes a little bigger with my carbide scrapers. I’m willing to make more work for myself if it means I save money 😳

Jerusha
                        Participant

^^^^ Yep, same here, with my own experience checking FireMountain. And the link is shared, so no worries πŸ˜€ I remember seeing that thread asking to buy small amounts off of people who had them in bulk, and until I found this other site, I had considered following suit! Of course, now I’m still in the same boat as you, Lokie — I wanna buy one of EVERYTHING! XD

Hannah
                          Participant

I just ordered some eyes from this website:

http://www.tohickonglasseyes.com/shopproductdetail.asp?prodID=53&catID=1

They’ve got a huge selection, and their Bird Eyes look exactly like the ones you get with Windstones. I haven’t yet gotten them in but I ordered some 11mm and some 8mm so I’ll get some pictures when they come in to see if they fit well in the PYO’s or not. I’ve got a couple Keepers and a couple Kirins on hand that I can test them in. They seem pretty good from what I’ve seen though, and definitely have some nice selections that Windstone doesn’t offer.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                            Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

bayoudragon
                            Participant

ooooooh, let me know if they work out, and I’ll add them to the list. πŸ™‚

Hannah
                              Participant

Alright I got my eyes from Tohickon Glass today! I tried them in a blank Keeper and a blank Kirin (because I got 11mm and 8mm), and both sizes fit like a dream, they’re seriously the perfect size! I took some pictures of the ones that I got and did a comparison picture to some Windstone eyes so that people can see the approximate color differences. I also got some eyes from Van Dyke’s the other day, and since I got an Albino from both Tohickan’s and Van Dykes, I compared them too in case someone is looking for a more specific color Albino eye one way or the other.

In any case, I highly recommend Tohickan! You can browse their site here: https://www.tohickonglasseyes.com/ – every eye that I bought was a Bird eye and under the Flat Back category, however – they have a ton of different selections, and they have flat backs in other categories too.

Albino:

Aqua:

Gold in a Keeper:

Silver:

Gold in a Kirin:

Reddish Brown:

Reddish Brown to Windstone’s Light Brown comparison – Windstone’s on top, Tohickan’s Reddish Brown on bottom:

Color comparison for Tohickan’s vs Van Dyke’s albino eyes:

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                                Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 143 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.