fbpx

New Dining Room… Update w/pics, page 7

Home Forums Miscellany Community New Dining Room… Update w/pics, page 7

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Jodi
    Participant

The living room is a whole ‘nother can of worms. It has suspended ceilings and ugly paneling. At least the carpeting in there is good. I don’t even want to think about the living room yet.

Elena
      Participant

Good for you working on/restoring an old house. I love old houses. They have alot more character thatn some of the ‘ultra modern’ ones. The color scheme sound sgreat. Keep us updated! πŸ˜€

lamortefille
        Participant

Yup, if I won the lottery, I would buy a big old victorian (in the middle of nowhere).

Jodi
          Participant

OK. Here is the kitchen.

The cabinet that Merlin (the cat) is sitting on is the one we built ourselves a few years ago to replace the metal one that was there before. It has the sink in it. When we had the old one, and I’d wash dishes, it would go *dunk dunk* *dunk dunk* as I leaned on it and moved back. Grrr! Irritating. So that one is done. The rest of those are going to get tore out and remade like the new one.

This is the new refrigerator we just got last fall. The pantry on the left will get painted to match the new cabinets (an almond color). The dishwasher is leaving and will be replaced with a smaller cabinet. We may even put some cupboards up above the new cabinet (where the dishwasher is now) and the fridge. See the ugly wallpaper?

A view from the other side. You can see the dining room through the doorway. And Merlin, looking confused by what I was doing.

Jodi
            Participant

Oh, and this is the outside of the house. I took this today (and the kitchen pics too).

twindragonsmum
              Participant

What a darling, darling house! How old is it? Do you know it’s history? I’ve always wanted a house that has character and good bone structure and yours is just too, way cute! πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum

tdm

Jodi
                Participant

twindragonsmum wrote:

What a darling, darling house! How old is it? Do you know it’s history? I’ve always wanted a house that has character and good bone structure and yours is just too, way cute! πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum

Yep. It was built in 1889 by a German fellow who was the premier bricklayer in the town at the time. His name was Paul Koshiol. He built most of the churches in the area too. He had a number of daughters, and he played the violin. Our house is known as the Koshiol House by the town historian. We found where the outhouse used to be in the back and there have been some additions to the house, including a section in the back that is our downstairs bathroom and my office.

It is a very cute house. We are trying to make the inside look as nice as the outside.

twindragonsmum
                  Participant

That’s just too cool! One of my favorite magazines is Victorian Homes. I love to see the restoration stories. When we lived in Utah it was fun to go exploring and see how many original Victorian houses we could find in one neighborhood. I’ve been hooked on Victorian houses since I was a kid and working at the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, Cali was a huge treat! I’d’a paid them for the opportunity to work there πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum

tdm

Jasmine
                    Participant

That looks great Em. Are you going to take down the wallpaper in the kitchen?

lamortefille
                      Participant

It’s a wonderful house! πŸ˜€ Yay! for Merlin…he doesn’t get as much press as Claire Marie. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†

Jodi
                        Participant

Jasmine wrote:

That looks great Em. Are you going to take down the wallpaper in the kitchen?

Gads, YES!

lamoretfille wrote:

Yay! for Merlin…he doesn’t get as much press as Claire Marie.

He barely sits still long enough to get a decent photo of him. Claire is a little more photogenic too. Her sweetness and prettiness comes through in the pictures. You can’t really get that from pictures of Merlin and Katie.

Elena
                          Participant

Oh what a lovely house!!! 1889 wow, the earliest we have houses from here is the early 1900’s!

Jodi
                            Participant

We did a little more work today. Nothing really visual though, so no pictures. We’ve figured out how we are going to do the rewiring of the light fixture (and even found a new one we really like, but didn’t buy it yet). We did buy the wire and other supplies for that step. We got some gift certificates to Menards and Home Depot for Christmas, so they came in handy.

One of the other things we did today was: we changed one of the light switches on the wall. The light switch for the kitchen was in the dining room for some reason, so we cut a hole in the kitchen wall behind it and took it out of the one side and put it through into the kitchen. The new switch for the dining room will go in the old hole, so that’s ready to go.

It doesn’t seem like much, but it took a while to get that hole cut. I’m glad that part is done.

Next is running the wire for the light fixture through the ceiling and moving the other light switch. Then we can attach the light fixture to the ceiling and take down the suspended ceiling. We need a full day for the wiring, probably.

Now, also, my husband suggested building a fake fireplace in the dining room to cover up the larger set of pipes instead of shelves. I’m so excited!!! That would be awesome.

Starbreeze
                              Participant

I always wanted one of those fireplaces!!!! That sounds great!!! πŸ˜€

Jodi
                                Participant

OK. Here’s the next allotment in the new dining room saga:

Yesterday we rewired the dining room. We also had to redo the kitchen switch we did the other day because there was an interesting problem we didn’t realize until we took down a few of the ceiling tiles.

Here’s hubby looking at the current light fixture wiring.

He seems stumped.

Here’s how the kitchen wiring had been done. This is the dining room wall, btw.

Here’s the wall with the pipes that will probably get the fake fireplace.

Yay! The wires are down off the ceiling.

Hubby with the temporarily patched walls. He calls it “paranoia taping.” I can’t have gaping holes in my walls. I’m afraid of creatures escaping the walls (bats, mice, really big bugs).

We have light switches and the light is temporarily attached again.

I didn’t take a picture of the crawl space we had to get into to run the wires. It was not fun. But at least that part is done. Next is to remove the rest of the ceiling tiles and grid and patch the ceiling holes and wall holes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.