fbpx

New Dining Room… Update w/pics, page 7

Home Forums Miscellany Community New Dining Room… Update w/pics, page 7

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Jodi
    Participant

Jodi
      Participant

We have been working on our dining room for a couple years now, and have recently put more effort into getting it done (now that I’m done with school). Unfortunately I don’t have any “before” pictures. I’m pretty excited about it and decided to share it with you guys.

A couple years ago we took up the carpeting (three layers, I think) and found hardwood floors underneath. We took the old varnish off them, and they’ve been like that ever since.

We decided to remove the wallpaper and scrape down the paint on the wainscotting and trim, so it will show more detail. And we also want to remove the suspended ceiling, which includes rewiring the ceiling light so it attaches to the ceiling instead of the suspension beams. We have some holes to patch (with plaster). Then repainting everything and revarnishing the floor. And making columns to hide the pipes with. It’s a huge job.

Yesterday we finished removing the wallpaper (three layers). 😯 And today we picked up the plaster to patch the holes in the walls and ceiling with. We will be gone this weekend, and school starts again next week, so we will only be working on it a little at a time.

I will post pics as soon as I can. It’s a mess in there because the furniture is all still in there, we’ve just moved things around a bit to work.

Jasmine
        Participant

Sounds like a big project. And would love to see in progress pics too.

Jodi
          Participant

This one is looking from the kitchen doorway to the front door. The front door has a wicker-type star on it. You can see the hardwoods and the suspended ceiling. Removing the suspended ceilings will give us another nine inches or so of headroom in here. There’s some crown molding up there too. Nothing fancy though. But it would be nice to see it.

This one is looking from the front door to the kitchen doorway. You can see the pipes that intrude into the room here. There are more than these too. Also, the walls where the wallpaper is removed.

This one is from the hallway looking in. You can see the walls good here, where we removed the wallpaper. And mostly just the mess. That is an old chimney that a wood-burning stove would be piped into for ventilation. You can see the circle where the hole was that the pipe went into to vent up the chimney.

We’re thinking of painting the wainscotting a sage green color, doing a sand-colored Venetian plaster look on the walls, and a dark brown chair-rail, doortrim, and crown moldings. The floor will be stained a light oak color and sealed.

Also, that cabinet has glass shelves and glass doors. We are going to paint it the dark brown color to match the trim. My griffin families will be on the bottom of the cabinet. The other shelves will hold my good china and wine glasses, etc.

Jasmine
            Participant

I’ve never understood people that would cover up nice hardwood with carpet…or the drop ceiling that covers up the wainscoting. I love the mask by the front door.

lamortefille
              Participant

That’s going to be so nice when it’s done, Em: -) I love the charm and odd features (like pipes) in old houses.

Jodi
                Participant

Thanks. My husband made the mask and the picture of the red ball and yellow ribbon too. The mask will probably stay, but the picture might get reframed and put on Ebay. It’s nice, but it doesn’t really suit our Victorian farmhouse.

The pipes will be covered with square/rectangle wooden columns. We have some on the wall I didn’t take a pic of that are somewhat close together. We are thinking of making the columns to cover them, then connecting them together with shelves. It would be like a built-in shelving case, but it will be removable if the pipes need to be dealt with.

Skigod377
                  Participant

Love the color scheme! πŸ˜€

dragonmedley
                    Participant

Wow! Renovating can be frustating, but the end results always justify the hard work. Good luck – I’m sure it’ll look awesome!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Jodi
                      Participant

skigod377 wrote:

The current pink one or the new plans? πŸ˜€

Bob

It can be a LONG tiring job but it can be SO worth it when it’s done

Skigod377
                          Participant

emerald212 wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

The current pink one or the new plans? πŸ˜€How it is now πŸ˜†

Lokie
                            Participant

dragonmedley wrote:

Renovating can be frustating, but the end results always justify the hard work.

+1

I’m sure the finished room will look great πŸ™‚

Jodi
                              Participant

skigod377 wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

The current pink one or the new plans? πŸ˜€How it is now πŸ˜†

Ugh! You would probably have liked the wallpaper too. It was a pink background with little flowers on it. Very country. I think it would be pretty in a little girl’s bedroom, but not a dining room.

The kitchen also has ugly pinkish wallpaper (that would be better off in a little girl’s bedroom). My hubby and I decided that since we still have the steamer (we borrowed it from a friend), we should remove that wallpaper too. So I guess we’re jumping to the next room right away. I’ll get some before pics this time. The kitchen is also a big project. It doesn’t have a suspended ceiling, but it still needs some repair. We are also going to tear out most of the cupboards and put in new ones. So it’s still a lot of work. It also needs new flooring. I’ll get pics when I can.

Skigod377
                                Participant

Country is just what I was thinking when I saw it. It looked like a cottage style almost. It looked cozy to be, but I would like that look in the living room, not so much the dining room, so I can understand you changing it. πŸ™‚ Hope its not too difficult.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.