fbpx

Male 'Sun Griffin'

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Male 'Sun Griffin'

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I actually think Pegasi’s comment about vultures can be accurate – in the funny way. How many people noticed the mint Male Kirin for $65 this morning (my time)? The female for $50? The baby for $20? Not too many, I think – they were snatched up too fast. We are vultures – and always proud of a good grab! ๐Ÿ˜€

Its ok if you use it to be funny. Others (Even myself and Nirvana) have used it as a joke. The difference is when you are saying it to be nasty and gain sympathy. I wish I would have seen the ki rins! I hope they went to a good home.

Oh, I know. I’m just trying to cut some slack and lighten things up. As for the kirins, they didn’t go to anybody I recognized – and I’ve consequently forgotten the name. I saw them being listen, and as soon as they were up, they were bought! It was funny. ๐Ÿ˜†

Participant

skigod377 wrote:

SilverArrow wrote:

That is true. Since ebay is so fickle, placing a bid or not, may or may not make a difference in the end. I wish you the best of luck on them.

You know what? I think I know what you guys may be referring to… is it the PYOs? I have put in low bids with no intention of winning them and to maybe spark interest in it so it will go higher. Maybe thats what you guys are talking about? If it is, I see nothing wrong with it. It all boils down to people are gonna pay what the peice is worth to them. If thats not it, then I honestly have NEVER heard of anyone on here shill bidding for thier friends.

That is probably where I have seen the posts. I can’t recall off the top of my head.

Skigod377
        Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Oh, I know. I’m just trying to cut some slack and lighten things up. As for the kirins, they didn’t go to anybody I recognized – and I’ve consequently forgotten the name. I saw them being listen, and as soon as they were up, they were bought! It was funny. ๐Ÿ˜†

To the victor the spoils! I hope this thread lightens up, too. I just have strong feelings about name calling… esp when you have no proof. I dont like it.

Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I actually think Pegasi’s comment about vultures can be accurate – in the funny way. How many people noticed the mint Male Kirin for $65 this morning (my time)? The female for $50? The baby for $20? Not too many, I think – they were snatched up too fast. We are vultures – and always proud of a good grab! ๐Ÿ˜€

Its ok if you use it to be funny. Others (Even myself and Nirvana) have used it as a joke. The difference is when you are saying it to be nasty and gain sympathy. I wish I would have seen the ki rins! I hope they went to a good home.

How do people do that? I have the worst time catching a good deal. I think it is linked to the karma I have for always getting into the slowest line at the grocery store. It never fails! ๐Ÿ˜†

Maria
            Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

To the victor the spoils! I hope this thread lightens up, too. I just have strong feelings about name calling… esp when you have no proof. I dont like it.

I dunno – it rolls of my back. I guess you grow a thick skin when you’ve got four brothers! ๐Ÿ˜† And I justed noticed another typo. Gah, I hate it when I make grammatical mistakes. ๐Ÿ˜›

SilverArrow wrote:

sunhawk wrote:

Quote:

Vultures, yes some of the members are vultures. I know several members have mentioned intentionally driving up prices on pieces they don’t want/already have just so a seller would make more money. I say let it go up naturally. Sure the seller may not make as much, but then it will be a better deal for the little buyer.

Whoa, I’ve never seen anything remotely close matching that sort of behavior and I think that’s something you shouldn’t say unless you have definitive proof.

I’m sorry to hear about your husband and maybe you have the right idea about taking a break from the forum if you continue to channel your emotional state upon the rest of us, for your own good as well as ours.

I am in the same boat as you and share your frustration about trying to buy Windstones off Ebay only to watch them climb way out of my financial reach but the nature of Windstone figures is that they are expensive because they are made from expensive materials (relatively speaking ie using goldleaf) and they are incredibly well-made and art of that quality deserves to be expensive for all the artist’s hard work. Even if people were made to adhere to some sort of strict auction code that prevented them from pushing prices up, Windstones are not cheap and the only time they are cheap is when they are being sold secondhand by someone fairly unaware or unconcerned of their value.

Please forgive me if I’m out of line here. I have only read some of the posts on this topic, so I might be missing something.

I could see how they could have gotten that impression (of driving up prices). I have seen posts in the past about someone putting in a bid, even though they weren’t seriously going after the piece, which, if a few members did that the price would go up for a potiental buyer. I don’t think they were intentionally driving up the price, but just showing support for the seller. That way when non-members would see the auction they would want to bid seeing that others had already bid (and thereby showing confidence in the piece and/or seller). Even if the outcome ends up driving the price higher, I don’t think that was intent by the bidders/forum members. However, I can definetly see how it could be seen that way since it is a potential outcome.

I can also sympathize with their frustrations about the high prices for certain pieces. I would agree that they shouldn’t be directing it at particular forum members, but such concerns are not without merit. I can see both sides of the argument.

Just my 2 cents worth. ๐Ÿ˜€

I think there is a big difference between what you are describing and the idea of pushing up the price just to see it go high. I find it hard to believe anyone wouldn’t pay the winning price if their push happened to be the highest bid at the end of the auction whereas it seemed like pegasus was describing shill bidding, which is motivated by a completely different motivation with no intention of actually paying for the object of the auction. I’m not sure if the distinction is clear to anyone else but that’s how I see things on this forum. No one is bidding on something they don’t want, some people just bid on things that they aren’t obsessed with getting but would welcome all the same if they did win.

Maria
              Participant

Oh yeah – the Kirins were sold by the same guy who’s selling this male unicorn. Maybe we can dig the name of the Kirin winner out of the feedback…

Participant

sunhawk wrote:

SilverArrow wrote:

sunhawk wrote:

Quote:

Vultures, yes some of the members are vultures. I know several members have mentioned intentionally driving up prices on pieces they don’t want/already have just so a seller would make more money. I say let it go up naturally. Sure the seller may not make as much, but then it will be a better deal for the little buyer.

Whoa, I’ve never seen anything remotely close matching that sort of behavior and I think that’s something you shouldn’t say unless you have definitive proof.

I’m sorry to hear about your husband and maybe you have the right idea about taking a break from the forum if you continue to channel your emotional state upon the rest of us, for your own good as well as ours.

I am in the same boat as you and share your frustration about trying to buy Windstones off Ebay only to watch them climb way out of my financial reach but the nature of Windstone figures is that they are expensive because they are made from expensive materials (relatively speaking ie using goldleaf) and they are incredibly well-made and art of that quality deserves to be expensive for all the artist’s hard work. Even if people were made to adhere to some sort of strict auction code that prevented them from pushing prices up, Windstones are not cheap and the only time they are cheap is when they are being sold secondhand by someone fairly unaware or unconcerned of their value.

Please forgive me if I’m out of line here. I have only read some of the posts on this topic, so I might be missing something.

I could see how they could have gotten that impression (of driving up prices). I have seen posts in the past about someone putting in a bid, even though they weren’t seriously going after the piece, which, if a few members did that the price would go up for a potiental buyer. I don’t think they were intentionally driving up the price, but just showing support for the seller. That way when non-members would see the auction they would want to bid seeing that others had already bid (and thereby showing confidence in the piece and/or seller). Even if the outcome ends up driving the price higher, I don’t think that was intent by the bidders/forum members. However, I can definetly see how it could be seen that way since it is a potential outcome.

I can also sympathize with their frustrations about the high prices for certain pieces. I would agree that they shouldn’t be directing it at particular forum members, but such concerns are not without merit. I can see both sides of the argument.

Just my 2 cents worth. ๐Ÿ˜€

I think there is a big difference between what you are describing and the idea of pushing up the price just to see it go high. I find it hard to believe anyone wouldn’t pay the winning price if their push happened to be the highest bid at the end of the auction whereas it seemed like pegasus was describing shill bidding, which is motivated by a completely different motivation with no intention of actually paying for the object of the auction. I’m not sure if the distinction is clear to anyone else but that’s how I see things on this forum. No one is bidding on something they don’t want, some people just bid on things that they aren’t obsessed with getting but would welcome all the same if they did win.

I completely agree. My thought was that from someone looking at it as an observer they could confuse the two for being one and the same. Perhaps just a misunderstanding? Sorry, I was just trying to help.

SilverArrow wrote:

I completely agree. My thought was that from someone looking at it as an observer they could confuse the two for being one and the same. Perhaps just a misunderstanding? Sorry, I was just trying to help.

Oh there’s nothing wrong with trying to help, my point is that pegasus’ accusation is a pretty serious one so I wouldn’t make such an accusation without clear proof. Assumptions of bad faith without solid evidence just make for hurt feelings all around.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Oh yeah – the Kirins were sold by the same guy who’s selling this male unicorn. Maybe we can dig the name of the Kirin winner out of the feedback…

They have a lot of unicorn stuff for sale. They must like horned animals.

Maria
                  Participant

Must have liked, looks like. ๐Ÿ˜† The BIN prices aren’t bad, though.

NirvanaCat13
                    Participant

(Lord I hope this doesn’t come out wrong….)

This is one of the most supportive, loving, caring groups that I’ve known. Yes, I’ve been hurt on losing some auctions…..*dragoness….LoL* And I’ve hurt others when I’ve won….*Drag0n…LoL*. However, Windstones are just objects, as much as we joke about living and breating Windstone, you can’t let it control your life or emotional state for longer than a few minutes… We’ve all been hurt or dissapointed, tease eachother about it, but in the end we get over it and we are still friends. Really good friends at that. Just keep that in mind.

Skigod377
                      Participant

Not tooooo bad, but not NEARLY as good as the ki rins were!

Hear, hear Nirvana. ๐Ÿ˜€

Ditto!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 146 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.