fbpx

Hannah's PYOs

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 620 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Participant

Truly, I thought these were all lovely before, but having been trying my hand at a little foo pup now, I think I can better (at least a little, anyway) appreciate just how much skill goes into all of this. Wowzers.

Falcolf
      Participant

Very pretty, I love your Maleficent dragon! πŸ˜€

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Hannah
        Participant

Thanks very much everyone πŸ˜€ As always, it means a lot to me to hear your comments ^^
          lasohaney – yeah they are a bit tough to get good detail on! I was explaining to my boyfriend that smaller pieces are not always easier to paint just because they are smaller!

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
          Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

thanks for sharing. I love looking at your work. It is inspiring they way you blend colors. πŸ™‚

May I ask for a secret? Are most of your blends done by hand? They seem so. How to do you find the balance between patience and speed? Do you find necessary to thin colors or use any type of retarder at all?

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
          www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
          Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Hannah
          Participant

thanks for sharing. I love looking at your work. It is inspiring they way you blend colors. πŸ™‚

May I ask for a secret? Are most of your blends done by hand? They seem so. How to do you find the balance between patience and speed? Do you find necessary to thin colors or use any type of retarder at all?

Thank you so much! ^^

I do all of my blends by hand, yes πŸ™‚
            I almost always mix my own colors at the start of a paint, using just red/yellow/blue/black/white, and then I go from there. Blending is definitely a skill in patience XD I used to only paint a couple of layers on my pieces, and now I’m probably up to at least 3 or 4, sometimes as many as 5 or 6 depending on how fussy the paint is being! I don’t worry too much about speed, but I do make sure that each layer of paint is dry before blending more on top of it, or I will risk pulling up the layer of paint that I just completed, and that’s worse than anything!

The first layer looks terrible but it shows me where the blending is going to be taking place. Every layer on top of that just refines the blending more and more until I am happy with it. The current piece I am working on (won’t be able to post pics of it as it is a repaint) required 5 coats of paint before the blending was “perfect” on it. It may seem like a lot of paint, but my layers are well worked and therefore pretty thin.

And yes, I do use retarder in everything I do! That stuff saves me all the time – it keeps my paints “fresh” at least twice as long as they would normally keep, so I just automatically add it to everything when I am at the mixing stages.

etruscan
            Participant

Beautiful. πŸ™‚

Hannah
              Participant

My boyfriend commissioned me to paint him a Keeper in a sunset theme, and voila! Sunset.
                I am particularly proud of her wings and horns. She has lots of interference on her in pearl, blue, and purple. She has metallic periwinkle eyes and will eventually hold a moon in her upraised paw.

These pictures unfortunately do not really show her true colors – for some reason my camera has a very hard time taking true color pictures of purples next to each other, so it interprets the bluer purple as pretty much blue! In person, the blue seen in these photos is more of an ultraviolet purple color. Furthermore, the “black” in the photos is navy blue. XD I just can’t win!

Ela_Hara
                Participant

WOW! Nice Job Hannah!
                  He’s Beautiful! πŸ˜€

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                  Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                  Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                  *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Celestial Rainstorm
                  Participant

Wow. Simply wow. This is gorgeous enough to be a production color, I am dead serious. You have some exceptional talent Hannah, I can’t wait to see what you do next.

And I’m sure your fella adored it ^_^

Finding happiness again.

Kim
                    Blocked

That’s so pretty! I love the sunset colours and the added details of the sun, stars and swirlies on the horns! Great job! Your antiquing looks really good on all your dragons and I only have a tiny bit of experience trying to antique anything so how do you do it? Do you seal the dragon first and then antique? Do you just use darker shades of each colour to antique all or some of the colours or do you sometimes just use one colour to antique everything? How long do you let it dry and what do you wipe it off with?

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Hannah
                      Participant

Thank you so much Etruscan, Ela Hara, and Cel! πŸ˜€ I did worry halfway through that it was very similar to the Amethyst coloring, but after looking again I think mine is much more purple and has less blue/orange πŸ™‚ Though it did cross my mind!

That’s so pretty! I love the sunset colours and the added details of the sun, stars and swirlies on the horns! Great job! Your antiquing looks really good on all your dragons and I only have a tiny bit of experience trying to antique anything so how do you do it? Do you seal the dragon first and then antique? Do you just use darker shades of each colour to antique all or some of the colours or do you sometimes just use one colour to antique everything? How long do you let it dry and what do you wipe it off with?

Thanks Kim!
                        For antiquing, I most often just use a darker shade of the base color – for the pinks and purples I just kept the leftover hues and added a touch of black or blue or red (or all three) to get a darker version of the color.
                        I tend to add more retarder to thin it out a bit more and make sure that it doesn’t dry right away when I start antiquing. And yes – I do spray the dragon before antiquing! It makes it much safer to do given that you have to actively wipe the dragon down to antique properly!
                        I use a couple of Bounty paper towels – I cut them into small pieces and take 5 or 6 at a time and dip them in water to wet them – wring them out so they are not dripping, just damp.
                        Once I spread some antiquing color on the dragon, I pretty much immediately gently wipe that area with a damp towel piece, using as much of the piece as I can. Then, I take a second piece and wipe again – this is just to make sure that I got all of the color off of the areas I don’t want it! You don’t have to scrub very hard, but sometimes you have to use a finger to push the towel into the smaller spaces.
                        I was thinking about doing a tutorial the other day on some of my techniques but that would require mastery of my camera and some way to set it up so it looks over my shoulder! I’d love to do something in the future in any case πŸ™‚

This is absolutely the most stunning pyo I have ever seen!

jmoore
                        Participant

He’s absolutely gorgeous, Hannah!

Adaneth
                          Participant

Amazing work on that dragon! Love the touch with the horns. I hope your boyfriend really loves it–he’d better! πŸ˜‰

Prezaurian
                            Participant

Love the color and horns on your latest dragon! πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 620 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.