fbpx

GrumbleRant

Home Forums Miscellany Community GrumbleRant

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

Lupin wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Ugh, clothes shopping. I knw what you mean, foxfeather, just in a different direction. With me, it’s not the size that’s the problem, but finding clothes that are practical. Not shirts that ends above your belly button, pants that end below your butt crack or way above the hips…
      Or clothes that fit an occasion. In two weeks I’m going to Portugal for the weekend on a pseudo-business trip and I don’t have a clue what to wear. πŸ™„
      So, good luck to you, fox!

Why cant Girls have pants that have real pockets and not just Buttons and “openings” sowed on???

My words exactly, Lupin. πŸ˜€ That’s why my favorite clothes for anything come from the surplus store, where clothes are comfortable and practical and made to last.

purpledragonclaw
      Participant

Men’s clothes are made to last, women’s aren’t. πŸ™

Maria
        Participant

Yeah. They figure we’ll only wear them for the three months that they’re fashionable. πŸ™„

Elena
          Participant

Thanks for all your help guys! I think I’ve found something and a friend of mine (I always hesitate to ask her cause she’s so busy with theatre costumes) has said that she’ll give me a hand with trying to make the pattern I liked fit me.

I could rant for pages about finding clothes that are servicable, comfy and fit. Or the fact that a plus sized model is a size 12-14. Or stupid sales staff.

Here’s customer service for you
            Back when I was skinny (years ago) I went shopping and found a nice skirt, but they only had up to a 14 on the rack and I asked if the skirt came in a 16. The sales girls looked at me and said “Oh my god, No, You’d be fat if you needed that size” I was so stunned that I just walked out, even though I should have reported her to her manager.

purpledragonclaw
            Participant

Okay, number one, size 16 isn’t fat! Number two, who the heck did she think she was?!?! You shouldn’t judge ANYBODY like that!! Just because a woman isn’t so skinny people question her health doesn’t mean she’s fat!! How rude!!

Lupin
              Participant

purpledragonclaw wrote:

Men’s clothes are made to last, women’s aren’t. πŸ™

Men’s are also usually cheaper, even when more material is used. 😯 I just tried to go find myself a pair of pretty pants, and a shirt so I might possibly have something to wear out once in a while. Umm yeah I better just get on top of that losing weight business and get back into all my old stuff!! 😯

WolfenMachine
                Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Ugh, clothes shopping. I knw what you mean, foxfeather, just in a different direction. With me, it’s not the size that’s the problem, but finding clothes that are practical. Not shirts that ends above your belly button, pants that end below your butt crack or way above the hips…

LOL! I guess clothes designers figure women’s clothing SHOULDN’T be practical πŸ™„
                  *snicker* somehow, that’s just that much funnier, coming from you, GB πŸ™‚ My Equine Science teacher always said “Form to function”

but, FoxFeather, there is a store here called…I think…”Agaci X” that is clothing in the same styles as for minus sized woman, but in plus sizes πŸ™‚ I don’t think they have a website though, if I am remembering the name correctly :

I find that I can find clothes that fit me, and more importantly that I like, once every three years or so (as fashion rolls round). So I tend to buy as much as I can then, and pray it’ll last until the next fashion turnover!

(I’ve been lurking a wee while reading the forums… *waves sheepishly*)

Jasmine
                  Participant

Welcome Mahal. πŸ˜†

purpledragonclaw
                    Participant

Mahal wrote:

I find that I can find clothes that fit me, and more importantly that I like, once every three years or so (as fashion rolls round). So I tend to buy as much as I can then, and pray it’ll last until the next fashion turnover!

(I’ve been lurking a wee while reading the forums… *waves sheepishly*)

I’ve found that if you have something in paisley, it goes in and out around every three years! πŸ˜€ And welcome, Mahal, from me too!

The place I found the best pants was a store called Susie’s Deals back in California, everything in there is $5, they get factory seconds, and I had some really great pants that lasted me 4 years…then they died…

I wish we had a Susie’s Deals here, or they had online shopping, but alas it isn’t to be. I am hoping next trip to my old hometown I can afford to go on a mini shopping spree over there.

Overall I am very dissatified with the selection of clothes available for larger women, why do the designers think we want shapeless sacks made out of hideous patterns for clothes…I’d really like to see some of those really cute form fitting designs made for the itty bitties redesigned for the larger woman. Some styles would convert very easily and look very good, but do they do it, heck no.

Kyrin

Kyrin wrote:

Overall I am very dissatified with the selection of clothes available for larger women, why do the designers think we want shapeless sacks made out of hideous patterns for clothes…I’d really like to see some of those really cute form fitting designs made for the itty bitties redesigned for the larger woman. Some styles would convert very easily and look very good, but do they do it, heck no.

Kyrin

Oh! I totally agree, it’s almost impossible to find a dress anymore! I’m a between a size 14 and a size 16, sometimes an 18, depends on the cut. Why is anything over an XL such a sack? I have lovely curves!! I’m hippy and have a small waist, I’ll admit I have a pouchy tummy, from the way they cut me for surgeries, it’ll never ever be flat even if I weigh 100 pounds, (which will never happen) and I think I look fatter if there is no shape to a dress. I have several, that I hoarde, because it’s impossible to find any dress anymore let alone a nice one, If I find something that fits, I buy it in every color offered. Sometimes I get lucky on Ebay, but not often. I refuse to pay three times what other stores charge by shopping in Lane Bryant. That’s not fair, it’s like a “fat tax”.

Jennifer
                      Keymaster

I have a few pairs of decent ‘girly’ jeans/pants, but unless I need to look ‘nice’ I buy dude’s jeans. They are usually about half the cost, they hold up a lot longer, I don’t have to worry about them being so form-fitting (I hate the idea of showcasing one’s rump) and they are comfy. Plus I cannot find women’s pants that are LONG enough!! I am just about 6′ tall and nearly every woman’s pants I’ve tried on makes it look like I am going clam digging. Men’s jeans don’t have that problem…. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                        My art: featherdust.com

purpledragonclaw
                        Participant

I think the fashion industry feels that if women are not Nicole Ritchie-skinny they should be ashamed of their bodies. And since they are ashamed, let’s give them fugly clothes to match. I believe this is a male-driven industry, keep in mind, and they think women are sexy only when thin. This is a myth!!! I know some men who only like big women!!!! This unspoken-yet-agreed-upon idea that if you’re over a size 10 you should hide your body is disgusting. πŸ™„

Jennifer wrote:

I have a few pairs of decent ‘girly’ jeans/pants, but unless I need to look ‘nice’ I buy dude’s jeans. They are usually about half the cost, they hold up a lot longer, I don’t have to worry about them being so form-fitting (I hate the idea of showcasing one’s rump) and they are comfy. Plus I cannot find women’s pants that are LONG enough!! I am just about 6′ tall and nearly every woman’s pants I’ve tried on makes it look like I am going clam digging. Men’s jeans don’t have that problem…. πŸ™‚

So is my daughter in law. She has the same problem. I on the other hand am 4’11’ with a 28″ inseam and wear an 18 or 20. The only stylish jeans I found that came that short and still fit decent were Old Navy or Gap. That is when they had the Ankle length. Even those touch the floor over my shoes. They quit carrying them in the stores around here so now Ilook for them online which means paying more πŸ™

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.