fbpx

GrumbleRant

Home Forums Miscellany Community GrumbleRant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Elena
    Participant

Gah!! I am sooo frustrated, I wanna scream!!! I am a Plus sized woman. Not really my idea but ya kinda gotta take what mother nature gave you. I’m in fairly good shape and several friends tell me that I’ve got a very nice, well balanced hourglass shape. So, I’ve got my brothers wedding to go to at the end of April and I’m not in the bridal party so I can wear whatever I want. But can I find anything to fit me. Noooo of course not. Here there is a grand total of *one* store that carries clothing for plus sized women. Well I knew that and can sew so figured that I would make my dress. Next Problem, every pattern that I like stops with a bust line of 42″. Mine is 49″ and I don’t really know how to make the pattern bigger. I feel like I’m hitting my head against a brick wall. I’ve had a look online, but really trying to find something that is simple, not too dressy (not a prom or wedding dress) and not shapeless sack is so frustrating! I can find skirts online. (The store here thinks that mermaid and pencil skirts are perfect for curvy women. I think they just make us look aweful.) And I’ve had no luck in finding a nice top that isn’t ‘old ladyish’ or something that my mother would wear. i would say that I hate being plus sized exept that I don’t. I like my curves. I think I look better than the skinny wraiths on the runways or in the malls I just so WISH that I could find nice clothes that FIT!!!!

Elena
      Participant

Skigod377
        Participant

My mom feels your pain. (I was asking her for info) Its hard to find pants for her because they are all tapered at the leg. There is nothing worse for a big woman than tapered pants. πŸ˜• I finally found her some nice ones while I was in the sates, at a place called “Carolines.” I hope you find a nice place too. I wish I knew something about shopping in Canada.

Jasmine
          Participant

You and me both babe. πŸ˜•

Stephanie
            Participant

*hugs*! It can be so frustrating to find clothes that fit, when you’re a size that isn’t ‘standard’. I have a friend who is shorter than average, and she has the hardest time just finding jeans that are her size, but don’t have really long legs!
              I hope you find something!

What size are you specifically? You can PM me the answer if you wish.

I’m a size 24, I have a gorgous dress that I wear for these kinds of occassions I would be willing to loan out to you, it’s a size 22, and it’s really pretty in greens and purples, and it drapes nicely and is very flattering.

I can post a picture.

Kyrin

lamortefille
              Participant

My best friend is “fluffy”, as she likes to say. I know she has purchased nice clothes from Fashion Bug Plus, Lane Bryant and Roaman’s and they all have websites. I have no idea if they’ll have what you’re looking for, though…

Rusti
                Participant

You can also try torrid.com and see what you came come up with there.

They are a plus sized store where a size 14 is a size 1. πŸ˜‰

Check them out, maybe they have something your size. My bustline is 45″ and I just recently got a really gorgeous corset top from them that fits perfectly.

I was gonna suggest Torrid, but Rusti beat me too it. I’m pretty floofy myself, but dresses are the hardest to find anywhere, I swear it’s like women don’t wear dresses anymore, except those god awful muumuu’s, which is so not an option. Did you try david’s bridal? they have social dresses that are plus sized.

Oh! and try Womenwithin.com and JC penney’s, they have some nice stuff!

Pegasi1978
                  Participant

I understand the frustration with trying to find clothes that fit properly. I have the hardest time finding 16 Petites (I’m a plump shorty πŸ˜† ) that don’t look matronly. It’s like once you go past 12/14 the petite sizes don’t exsist anymore.

Rusti
                    Participant

pegasi1978 wrote:

I understand the frustration with trying to find clothes that fit properly. I have the hardest time finding 16 Petites (I’m a plump shorty πŸ˜† ) that don’t look matronly. It’s like once you go past 12/14 the petite sizes don’t exsist anymore.

You know what’s funny is that I have run across women’s sizes in petites if that makes sense. While doing my job at Penney’s cleaning up the clothes people toss on the fitting room floor.

They are out there, they’re just hard to find!

That’s the worst! I’m 5 feet tall and weigh 179 pounds, I’m very curvy, but have a short torso and short legs. Why do woman’s clothes either look like super old lady ish, or tents? Old navy has some great stuff, but dresses usually have spagetti straps! larger women need to wear bras!! why not make wider straps? you’d think they would figure this out!

Megan
                      Participant

pegasi1978 wrote:

It’s like once you go past 12/14 the petite sizes don’t exsist anymore.

I’m a size 9 and I can’t find petites! At least, in the styles I like… πŸ˜† I usually give up and get the normal ones, then curl up the legs/walk the extra length to tatters πŸ™„

I had the same problem for my sister’s wedding. I found a dress, but it was at David’s bridal. My sister said it was too fancy, so I continued the search. I found some slacks at Lane Bryant and a dressy shirt there. Luckly my sister and Aunt went looking around for me and they found a nice skirt at Dillards. I went down there the day before the wedding and put it on hold. After we did the day part of her wedding then I ran down to Dillards and bought the skirt for the evening part. I have found that dresses don’t fit me properly, so I like to wear a nice top and pair it with a skirt or slacks.
                        Good luck in your search.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.