Calling all model horse collectors!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Calling all model horse collectors!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Suzanne-Marie
    Participant

I have live-shown my resin jumper model horses, Extreme Justices sculpted by Sommer Prosser, and Nighthawks, sculpted by Kitty Cantrell; and have never used a rider,for NAN shows it is not required.
      We place the reins in the correct jumping position going over our custom jumps, mine by Polly Cleveland,with full tack, and nerve rackingly have always placed in the ribbons. LOL!!
      The dolls out there I agree took totally fake and kinda odd….
      That would be so awesome to see a photoshopped image of someone riding their model horses !!
      Alas my tech skills are close to zero or maybe an integer..but would luv to see that !!
      Warm Hugs !!

StormDancer
      Participant

Thank you Melody! I love your collection too! And I understand your avoidance of eBay, that’s always my downfall as well. About the time I think I’ve found all the ones that I want, a new sculpt comes out. Or I see a custom paint job on a sculpt that I love.

Yes, I have always loved the grullas. When I was raising horses we did try a bit to breed for color, but never got any grullas even out of our grulla mares. Of course  good temperament and confirmation was always the first consideration for us.

As for the shelves,  they are aspen wood, 6 inches wide and  about a foot longer than the window or door that they are above. So far I have never needed to use putty to keep any of the horses on them, but I do notice that a few of them seem to slowly creep towards the edge over a 6 month period. I dust them often enough that I place them back where they belong before any have made an actual escape attempt.  I do like your putty idea for the couple that do creep along. Only bad thing about the shelves is that I am out of windows and doors!

Looking for:
        "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Tinsel
        Participant

Tinsel – Selling is always tough. Like you say, there are some things you don’t miss, and some that really stick with you! Maybe you could get back into it? 🙂

LOL, not likely I’ll be able to start collecting again due to lack of space but, hey, one can always hope! 🙂

ETA: Wow! That’s one big happy face. Not sure how that happened.

MandBsMom
          Participant

OH, super stoked for this thread!!!!!!

I used to have a Heiress years ago, she’s a lovely model.

I have been collecting since I graduated from My Little Ponies to Breyers in 3rd or 4th grade. I collect Breyers and Stones and have been slowly adding in chinas as well.

Just part of my Stone Arab conga….look! See the blue? Lol

Some of my Stoen ISHs.

Some more Arabs, my Stone weanlings, and a couple other Stones.

My most favorite model, the large Arab in the back is Polaris, sculpted by Debbie Lermond and painted to a red bay sabino by Myla Pearce. Then various mini resins and a couple china HRs.

This is another very special model; this is Desatado, the first model in the Breyer Premier line that started a few years ago. My name was drawn to receive the very first model off the production line and he is mounted on a base with nameplate. He’s flawless!

I had this guy painted about two years ago. It is the Sylph resin by Kitty Cantrell. She’s going to be coming out with mini versions of her traditional sized pegasus family in the next month or two and I’m going to be all over them!!

I have many individual pics of my models, but I really should do more group shots.

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

dashesndots
            Participant

Some lovely collections here!

MandBsMom, congrats on the first off the line Desatado – he’s probably my favorite they’ve done of the Premier Collection so far, which is saying a lot haha.

I also have a first off the line Premier model – the Croi Damhsa!

GardenNinja
              Participant

Once upon a time (40 years ago), in a land far away (well, California coast is 1800 miles from eastern Missouri), I collected Breyers. Most of my collection was destroyed by my oldest brother, but the last several that I got are in very good condition. I also have an older one in moderate condition. I lost interest in my teens, and haven’t regained the interest. The ones with boxes have been in them ever since. Is anyone interested in buying any of these?

“Diablo” semi-rearing Mustang in buckskin, Traditional, Pre-1978, possibly as early as 1974. The one older survivor. He has rubs, and the box is long gone.
                Quarter Horse Foal in palomino, Classic, 1979. Didn’t come in box. Currently in hiding, thanks to my cats.
                Andalusian Family gift set original release in white stallion, dapple mare, and dark chestnut foal, Classic, 1979. In box, box has medium damage on bottom panel.
                Thoroughbred Mare and Foal (Suckling Foal) gift set in bay mare and chestnut foal, Traditional, probably 1979. In box, which is in fairly good condition for age.
                Proud Arabian Stallion in Mahogany, Traditional, probably 1979. In box, but box is heavily damaged by damp plaster. Horse was in plastic bag and is undamaged.

I can take pictures of any that people are interested in, except the AWOL Quarter Horse Foal. Obviously, that one won’t be for sale until I find it!

EDIT: 1980 dates corrected to 1979/1978, and reposted in Non-Windstone Flea Market sub.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

etruscan
                Participant

LOL – my “once upon a time” is longer ago than yours!  Many years ago, probably 1958 or 1959, I had a white Arabian foal by Breyer and discovered that a leg will break off if you gallop your foal too hard on a cement sidewalk.  Glue wasn’t very good in those days so I had to be very careful with him after that.

I also had a set of paper dolls depicting the Lennon Sisters (anyone remember them ?) and Janet Lennon’s horse was part of the set.  I probably played with the horse more than the people.  That was a LONG time ago …

I did collect horses, mostly china, but almost all of them went to my younger sister years ago.

Bodancia
                  Participant

Oh oh I LOVE this thread!  I started collecting the shiny mares and foals when I was a kid.  Gave them all away to various nieces when I was a teenager, but then started collecting as an adult and have a nice collection.  Love seeing them displayed IN the bookshelves.  I have mine on top of shelves, on top of bookcases, etc, etc  My favorite are some of my oldest.  Not sure what they are called.  A running Arabian mare and foal, in a matte dapple gray smoke color with white mane and tail.  Love them all!

Always looking for a lovely GB Young Unicorns, TP Male Dragons or TP Male Griffins!

StormDancer
                    Participant

I am really enjoying getting to see everyones collection. Big or small they are all great!

dashesndots, the Croi Damhsa is beautiful! That is one that I would love to add to my collection someday.

I forgot until I was dusting this morning, I also have 4 of the crystal Breyers

Looking for:
                      "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Nightcrow
                      Participant

Wow, there are a lot of us model horse maniacs here!  I’m so pleased that everybody is enjoying the thread.

Myself, I started collecting in 1992 — my first Breyer was Chaparral, a LE rearing stallion.  I fell in love with it in the Sears Christmas catalog and he was under the tree that Christmas morning!  (Side note: was that catalog a highlight of anyone else’s Christmas season?  I remember getting excited about it every year and going through and circling all the things I wanted!)

I’ll try to find some photos of my old collection, but it may be a while (the house is topsy-turvy right now due to the new flooring project).  This year I sold off most of my collection, but I still kept certain ones… and will probably accumulate a few more!  I mostly collect OF Breyer and occasionally Stone models, but I also have a weakness for Akhal-Teke resins and am up to five of them.  (Six, technically – I accidentally ended up with 2 of Oleg Bazhenov’s “Tokhtamysh,” so I’m looking to sell one or trade for another Akhal resin I don’t own.)

Only one of my resins is painted right now; custom paint jobs are definitely on the list of things I want to buy for myself whenever I get a better-paying job!  My original Eberl Akhal is a lovely golden buckskin: I think this may be him, but if not, it’s really close!  I’d like for no two Akhals in my herd to be the same color, so I’m dreaming about black, red bay, dapple grey, and chocolate bay for the others…

Are there any other Akhal-Teke fans around?  Post pictures or links to your favorites!

My favorites that I don’t have already are Garayasup, Apple Techie (love the name, too!), Almaz-Bek, Ajima 3 Almaz, Genc, Atalar Sevda, and Luka!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

MandBsMom
                        Participant

Oh, that is awesome!!! The odds that two of us on here have a first off the line from the Premier Collection!!!!

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

Nightcrow
                          Participant

Melody — I am in LOVE with your gorgeous grey Othello drafter!! This mold is one of my top favorites; I have “Fox Valley Oliver” and he is a never-give-up piece for me.  One day I dream of finding him a grey brother…

MandBsMom — What a great Stone Arab conga!  I recognize a familiar face, haha 🙂  I have the Christmas Decorator Stone Arab myself, and love him.  Blue decorators are definitely one of my favorite categories as a collector!   I sold my blue flocked Unicorn, but couldn’t quite bring myself to part with the Arab; my excuse was that he isn’t a model horse, he’s a holiday decoration!  😀

StormDancer — Those crystal Breyers are awesome!  When did they come out with those?!  (More importantly, how did I miss it?!)  They look so good in your cabinet with all the other shiny things.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Landipan
                            Participant

(I’m not StormDancer but I figured I could answer, hehe) The Crystal mini Breyers originally were sold at Breyerfest, I think maybe you could catch them on the Breyer  website sometime after breyerfest but not sure if that was a fluke or not? The two times I went to BF I didn’t get either of the crystal minis, and I always regretted it, especially the Alborozo!

But I’m pretty sure you can find them on the Model Horse sale pages.

*Formerly meowmix101
                              Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Bodine
                              Participant

Here is a photo from Suzanne-Marie.These are hers.

Breyer’s are in the front row,
                                My resin jumpers :Extreme Justice sculpted by Sommer Prosser on right photo and 1 on left photo, Nighthawk sculpted by Kitty Cantrell left photo.
                                Flea bitten Arabian Grey with arched neck right sculpted by Grace Newhouse, re-sculpt by Kim Swanson, Flea bites added 1 at a time by Nan Wagner, and  heavy bronze Arabian Weanling Filly sculpted by Barbara Lewis with tail up in middle.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                                Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Bodine
                                Participant

I have 6 Breyers left.I sold my herd last year but kept the bigger ones.This one is The Year of the Dragon in porcelain.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                                  (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                                  Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.