fbpx

Calling all model horse collectors!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Calling all model horse collectors!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Nightcrow
    Participant

Talking with Zexious about the model horse hobby made me realize that we need a thread for model collectors on the forum!

If you collect, post pictures and/or talk about your collection here.  What was your first model?  What is your most treasured model?  Got any “grail pieces” you’re hunting for?  Ever tried your hand at customizing, or know a great artist you wish would paint one of our pieces?  Do you only collect one brand (or breed, or color), or do you go for a wide variety?   How long have you been in the hobby?

Anything model-related is fair game!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Landipan
      Participant

My model horse collection is very small(most of my collections are, I’m very picky and also lacking on ‘fun’ money most of the time lol), but they’re all very loved! Here are some awful cell phone pics I took real quick!

These are my favorites Stablemate sized models, they’re special so they get their own little cubby!

These are my traditional horses, my favorite is the deco snowflake Fjord I bought at Breyerfest a couple years ago. I don’t normally collect deco/unrealistic horse colors in horse models, but I can be persuaded if it’s a color I really  like. The first traditional size model I ever got is the purple-y Brookstone Magnum pony in the back, I love this color of roan on models, it’s not SUPER realistic but I love it , tho I have seen some pics of real roans looking kind of purpleish.

And here are my absolute favorite models…..my Brighty Donkeys! I adore them, the original grey Brighty is all dudded up for Christmas this year(the outfit actually belongs to the Orange Brighty a.k.a Mischief, but I like to rotate the outfit around every year) There used to be really cute strong of lights that went with the outfit but they died this year so I’m going to have to find new ones!

*Formerly meowmix101
        Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Melody
        Keymaster

I still have most of the ones I got when I was little. And teh ones I got when I wasn’t so little. I also have some I got a few months ago. My favorites are the old glossy ones that are nicked and scratched. They were played with and loved the most. I’ve had some of these for 50 years or more!

Zexious
          Participant

Melody — What a wonderful collection! I spot a couple we have in common–do you have a favorite piece?

Yaaaaas

This thread is right up my alley <3

I started collecting when I was seven (so just shy of 20 years!), right around the same time I started riding horses. My first model was a Little Bit/Paddock Pal–a Palomino Blanket Appaloosa on the Thoroughbred Stallion mold; I’ve still got him, though he’s admittedly packed away.
            Honestly, I don’t know that I have a most treasured model! I have several favorites that I like for different reasons… But if I absolutely had to choose, it would be a little Breyer G1 Standing Thoroughbred Foal in black. She’s nothing special, but has shown really well and is honestly just the cutest thing.
            Grail pieces are another tough one… I really love the work by Emilia Kurila (I have Bacchus, but would love to add Lucius or Leonardo) and by D’arry Joan Frank. I’d also really love to own an OOAK Breyer, but I have a tough time convincing Boyfriend that dropping $1,000+ on a model horse is a good idea xD
            I’ve tried customizing and tack making, but I’m not very good and don’t currently have much space to try and improve myself </3 Maybe someday!

I had taken a bit of a hiatus from the hobby when I decided to focus more on ‘real’ horse showing, but after my accident prevented me from riding (and much less competing!) I’ve slowly been getting back into it. All of my childhood collection (somewhere in the realm of 400-500 models) is still packed up, but I have a few that I’ve purchased since the beginning of the year. This is my most recent purchase:

A Stone Pebbles ASB 1/200 “Heiress” from back in the day. I’m on a bit of a Stone kick right now, and will probably purchase a traditional brother or sister for her in the next day or so xD

Ferlin1984
            Participant

Wow! Melody your collection is beautiful! So many it reminds me of the GB pebble horses.

I have one or two I picked up for sale when a sadle and bridle store went out of business. The Breyer Christmas one from several years ago and a butterfly blue one which is more recent. They have to stay in their boxes in my closet for their safety, one year old  who thinks he is King Kong. Maybe one day I will display one sigh.

dashesndots
              Participant

I don’t have a full collection picture, but here are some individual pics of my models:

http://ashleyevans28.wixsite.com/dashesndots/model-horse-collection

Current count: Breyers – 58, Stones – 13, Resins – 2, Medallions – 12, Customs – 3

The website is about 4 months out of date at this point, as after September I lose my prime photo spot due to waning light.  I’ve since subtracted 4 and added 10 or 11, haha.  I have the tendency to be a very fickle collector – there’s almost always something I want more, and I have limited room, so I have to make room for the new stuff quite often.

I had a childhood Breyer collection that my mom fed on birthdays and Christmas, from 1988ish (I think my first was the black Touch of Class from around that time, or the chestnut Lady Roxana) until 1999 (one of the last things I got was the original Huckleberry Bey).  Then I lost interest / ran out of room, and didn’t start collecting again until 2011.  I sold most of my carpet herd and started adding newer Breyers and Stones mostly.  I do have a few resins/customs/other odd things like medallions, but my first love is OF Plastic Traditionals.

No customizing for me – I did try to for awhile but I’m just not very good at it.  I much prefer customizing My Little Ponies because you don’t have to worry about realism, haha.

Only been to 2 shows total, but they have been fun and I really hope to go to more in the future if the stars align.  I don’t want to travel very far or by myself so that limits me a bit.

Grails: I conga Croi Damhsa, so either of the OOAKs on that mold would be major grails, but ones I doubt I’ll ever obtain (I think they both belong to blabbers).  More realistic ones include Shannondell, Here’s To You, Athena, El Capitan, and a Poseidon (to replace the one I had and sold).

StormDancer
                Participant

I’ve been collecting Breyers for the last 38 years. My first set was my 8 year birthday gift from my mom. It still means the world to me as I know just how long and hard she had to work to be able to afford the set. It is the Black Beauty set and I still have them all in mint condition. The ones that mean the most are the ones that were gifts. My collection isn’t big as I am picky but it does include a few OOAK custom painted ones and some Porcelain ones. I cant really say I have an outright favorite. For me as long as the sculpt is well done and has some “life and movement to it” then its  probably a favorite.

The photos also have some of my Cheval Pony collection and a few ceramic ones that I painted as I just tend to place items where I think they look good. Most of my Breyers are on shelves above my windows.

Looking for:
                  "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Melody
                  Keymaster

My favorites are the old, glossy version of the  Proud Arab mother and foal  by Maureen Love . (The ones Breyer knocked off from Hagen Renaker , the jerks)

Melody
                    Keymaster

Half of these belong to  Chessie, my daughter.   She’s busy being an adult now, so I am keeper of the herd.

( I’ve never had that “being an adult” problem) That piece of paper on the left side , near the mule, is a list of about twenty horses that I haven’t found since our move.  There is a box full of Hartlands too, somewhere… and a box of the next smaller size Breyers, (I don’t know what the sizes are called) … and my Breyer cows…

Tinsel
                      Participant

OMGosh, I’m so jealous. Had a few treasured pieces from childhood, goodness but that was a long time ago, when Breyer first came out with them. Sadly, had to be sold due to down-sizing. Most of what I’ve sold isn’t missed all that much but giving up my Breyer and Windstone is KILLING me! Bhaaaaa Whaaaa Whaaaa! Everyone says less is more and for the most part hubs and I have found this to be true. But, dang, the person that came up with that montra obviously wasn’t a collector. 🙁

Thanks for starting this thread. Love seeing all these beauties. 🙂

Zexious
                        Participant

Tinsel – Selling is always tough. Like you say, there are some things you don’t miss, and some that really stick with you!
                          Maybe you could get back into it? 🙂

Melody – Ugh, yessss! I absolutely love (lawl) the Love sculpts. She was really a talented lady–kind of like you! :’)

Storm – You have a wonderful collection!
                          Honestly, I’m especially grateful for the shots that feature both models and windstones–I know dimensions are listed, but this really gives me a great idea of how big they are! 🙂 That CM Gypsy Vanner is gorgeous <3

I’m currently eyeballing a pretty Palouse on MH$P as we speak, but I’m trying to decide if I can warrant the purchase during the holiday season, when I focus on buying for others.
                          As a child I had what many call a “black hole” collection. Unless I bought something with the intent to flip it (which was rare), everything stayed put. But now I try to keep things more ‘dynamic’. I want to buy things, enjoy them for a while, then send them off to a new home where they can be loved and appreciated, so I can replace them with something else.

Melody
                          Keymaster

Is that one porcelain? I don’t really know the Stone horses, but I did run across them when I researched the name “Pebble Pony”! That’s why we call ours a “Pebble horse” HA HA. We’ve both got the “Stone” in our company names, and came up with the same name  for a product line!

It looked like the Stone pebble pony line was discontinued. Are they still being made? Gorgeous horse! How big is she ?

Melody
                            Keymaster

This thread is going to be a bad thing. I don’t look at model horses on ebay… musn’t …buy… them…all… oh gosh… a vintage glossy bay Proud Arabian mare and foal with eyewhites…no… no.. no .. oh man, that sweet appaloosa is only 9 bucks… nononono -I will be strong!

Oh gosh … that gypsy vanner!!

Melody
                              Keymaster

Such a magnificent collection!  You seem to like the grey grulla colors too! So gorgeous!

I like the way you display them, on those wall mounted shelves.  I need something like that! Do you stick yours down with putty? Right now most of the Breyers I have are taking up  an entire bookshelf that we really need for books!

Melody
                                Keymaster

There are so many pics of realistic model horses with perfect tack an all,  but the dolls that are posed with them look so fake!  Why? Is it a requirement to pose the horses with Breyer dolls in competition pics?

-and do people ever photoshop themselves riding their own model horses? That would be so cute! I’ve always wanted to do this.  Somebody, do it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.