fbpx

Wrinkled gloss coat?!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Wrinkled gloss coat?!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Travistie
    Participant

This probably explains why Peter Stone wraps their models with the flat side inside. I always wondered about why they did that. I’m just used to wrapping stuff bubble side in.

Setsunawolf
      Participant

Now I’m all worried. I have to send my Momma Koi-Rin back to Melody. Her nose was chipped up when she arrived and Melody has offered to fix her (after the move and they find the paints πŸ˜† ), but I’m assuming Windstone must have packed up the box imprinter because she came wrapped in bubble wrap… Do you guys think she’ll be alright traveling back? πŸ˜• I have her plastic sleeve, but I’d feel better if she had a form fitting box and no bubble wrap.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
        Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
        Sun Dragon Koi #3

frozendragon
        Participant

I sometimes wrap ones I paint with tissue paper… but I let it dry for a long time first…

but I have had a few stick because where they were going was humid… the good thing about tissue paper… or the paper Windstone uses is if you dip your fingertip in water you can slide it across the paper (not rub) and the paper just comes off after a couple times… and it doesn’t mess up the sealer…

but that’s only happened to me like twice so I’m happy…

the bubble wrap thing it kind of freaky though…

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

I always put everything in a plastic bag first, the thick plastic like Windstone uses works best, but the bags are expensive. Sometimes even tissue paper can stick to the gloss if it get’s humid and hot enough.

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Zelda
            Participant

Mikki, thank you! I have a nice hot spot lamp I can set him near, and try that. That way I can give the finish time to soften gently, and see if that works.

Since I had all of my other pieces wrapped bubble-side in and didn’t see any ill effects, I was surprised that my rainbow male reacted that way to the treatment. However he is much more shiny than the mostly older pieces I have.

Thanks so much to all of you for your suggestions. Acetone will be my last resort indeed.

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

PurpleTurtle
              Participant

It’s a good thing to know about the potental dangers of bubble wrap 😯 . I hope the heated light fixes him, but it’s a shame it happened in the first place, especially with you being so careful and all πŸ™ .

It’s neat to hear that there are some model horse collectors here like me!
                The sticky finish/bubble wrap problem is a big one in model horsedom. It’s a huge horror as well.
                I don’t know what type of paint or finish Melody uses. If it’s any kind of acrylic, the acetone will take it all off down to the pre-painted surface. Which would be worse than the wrinkles. The best thing I’ve found to fix the problem is use 500-600 grit sandpaper. Sand the rough parts down and respray it with the finishing spray.
                As far as model horses go, the theory is that the finish (generally Krylon, an acrylic finish)has a chemical reaction when it’s wrapped in plastic before it’s had time to cure. The chemicals in the finish leach out as it cures and if it’s in plastic, it has no where to go and causes a reaction with the plastic. Usually it happens when the piece has been stored in the plastic for an extended period of time. Usually humidity plays a part in the disaster too. Just wrapping and shipping one (as far as model horses go) isn’t long enough for one to go sticky. If you were to leave it wrapped after you got it though… not good.
                I always let my custom (i.e. painted by me, rather than the factory) horses cure on the shelf for a few days before I ship them. And I caution the new owners to never store them, but to leave them out on a shelf to breathe.
                There have been horror stories of tissue paper of various sorts imbedded into the finish of horses so I never, ever leave a horse wrapped in t.p.
                I haven’t had any experience with the Windstones, but this seems very similar to what happens to model horses. If you have model horses wrapped in any kind of plastic, free them now! πŸ™‚ HTH!

BDW
                Participant

Ok this thread as put fear into me!
                  All my Windstones are still in their original boxes exept a few that were purchase from eBay sellers are in bubble wrap,
                  and are all stored at my mom’s…, in a wood cabinet with glass doors… in the basement!
                  But she has a dehumidifier and it rarely goes on since it’s not humid down there for some reason.
                  But it still scares me! Specialy when I think of Melody’s Gold spot male griffin, Jennifer’s November forest POY keeper and Olimpia’s Copper-gold Emperor!
                  I think I need to go check on them. 😯
                  Tomorrow!

purplecat wrote:

wow…I didnt either…and I think I have a couple stored that way too! 😯

So do I 😯

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

All of my collection is stored this way too, in an outdoor storage unit. But I don’t have a choice, I have no place to live right now. :/

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer wrote:

All of my collection is stored this way too, in an outdoor storage unit. But I don’t have a choice, I have no place to live right now. :/

Are you ok? Any possibilities? Anything we can do to help?

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

ddvm wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

Are you ok? Any possibilities? Anything we can do to help?

Oh… I’m not on the streets! I’m living with my very kind parents for the moment, crammed into a tiny room.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                      My art: featherdust.com

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

I’ve got a spare room, actualy, a whole finished attic! πŸ˜‰ You can come and live with me! πŸ˜€

Got a busted Windstone?
                        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin
                        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Hey Jennifer,
                        Don’t feel bad. I had to live with my parents a couple of times when I was young and having a hard time. It’ll get better! πŸ™‚

Leigha
                        Participant

I still live with my parents <.<

,_,

Melissa
                          Participant

Me too…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.