Wrinkled gloss coat?!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Wrinkled gloss coat?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Zelda
    Participant

Eeek! After moving out of my summer space and back into my dorm room for the semester, I’ve spent the past few hours unpacking my Windstones. They were all wrapped tightly with several layers of bubble wrap, and kept in boxes in a climate controlled storage unit for a few months. After unwrapping several older pieces, I was shocked to unwrap my rainbow male, and find that the clear coat had actually wrinkled to the shape of the bubble wrap pressed against it!!

I’ve included a few pictures, although the effect is hard to capture at some angles:

I tried rubbing a few spots with water to see if it would come off (no good), and checked over the bubble wrap to see if there was anything out of the ordinary with it, but there’s no weakness in the bubble wrap that would indicate that it ‘melted’ to the dragon somehow, so I think it’s the finish itself that wrinkled.

Melody, have you encountered something like this before with any other rainbow pieces? I’m heartbroken about the poor guy. I thought I did right by storing my pieces in a climate contolled place. I would have wrapped him in his plastic sleeve, except I purchased him from a store that had thrown out all of the original packaging 😑 Is there anything I can do to fix the big guy? I shudder to think about what he’d look like if I wrapped him with tissue or newspaper πŸ™

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Zelda
      Participant

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Purplecat
        Participant

sounds like humidity to me….humidity can be awful to clearcoat finishes…no matter what the temp…. Where do you live again?

Purplecat
          Participant

lol…sorry….saw it now…South Dakota… 😳

Melody
            Keymaster

Zelda wrote:

Eeek! After moving out of my summer space and back into my dorm room for the semester, I’ve spent the past few hours unpacking my Windstones. They were all wrapped tightly with several layers of bubble wrap, and kept in boxes in a climate controlled storage unit for a few months. After unwrapping several older pieces, I was shocked to unwrap my rainbow male, and find that the clear coat had actually wrinkled to the shape of the bubble wrap pressed against it!!

I’ve included a few pictures, although the effect is hard to capture at some angles:

I tried rubbing a few spots with water to see if it would come off (no good), and checked over the bubble wrap to see if there was anything out of the ordinary with it, but there’s no weakness in the bubble wrap that would indicate that it ‘melted’ to the dragon somehow, so I think it’s the finish itself that wrinkled.

Melody, have you encountered something like this before with any other rainbow pieces? I’m heartbroken about the poor guy. I thought I did right by storing my pieces in a climate contolled place. I would have wrapped him in his plastic sleeve, except I purchased him from a store that had thrown out all of the original packaging 😑 Is there anything I can do to fix the big guy? I shudder to think about what he’d look like if I wrapped him with tissue or newspaper πŸ™Oh no! I’ve never seen this happen before! Is the finish sticky?? When we test the paint and finishes we repetedly soak the piece in water, bake it in an oven, then freeze it to see if the finish does anything weird. We haven’t gotten it to do this!
              I doubt that there is anything that can fix him, but
              we have tried gently sanding pieces that came out with a rough, sandpaper finish (when the clear coat gets sprayed on when the temps are over 100, this happens). We used 600 sand paper to get the uneven bumps off, and put another clear coat on. This can work. I am really sorry this guy got wrinkled! I guess we should have a new shipping rule, don’t wrap them in bubble wrap!

Zelda
              Participant

Purplecat: Nope not humid here at all. I thought that putting it in climate-controlled storage would take care of any problems caused by heat out here.

Melody: Nope it’s not sticky, and all the older pieces that I had wrapped with the same bubble wrap came out fine. I don’t know if I can get sandpaper down in all the nooks and crannies, but I guess I have nothing to lose in trying. I don’t know if this has been asked before, but do you have a specific type of clearcoat that you use? I don’t know if I want to risk some crazy chemical reaction by using something different over the original, that’s just my luck πŸ™‚ Maybe I’ll try a little bit of rubbing alcohol or solvent, and see if that smooths the markings down? Yikes. Either way I’ll post my results, in case this problem comes up with anyone else.

I was going to suggest what Melody suggested, another possiblity would be some acetone on a brush…to carefully smooth over the areas that are messed up…but make sure you don’t soak it, or you’ll lift off more than the sealer…then once it is dry, seal it again. I’ve done this with ceramics I’ve had sealer issues with in the past with good results.

I’ve used Krylon satin sealer on top of the factory seals without ill effect, but I too would be curious to find out what they usually use.

Good luck.

Kyrin

Melody
                Keymaster

Zelda wrote:

Purplecat: Nope not humid here at all. I thought that putting it in climate-controlled storage would take care of any problems caused by heat out here.

Melody: Nope it’s not sticky, and all the older pieces that I had wrapped with the same bubble wrap came out fine. I don’t know if I can get sandpaper down in all the nooks and crannies, but I guess I have nothing to lose in trying. I don’t know if this has been asked before, but do you have a specific type of clearcoat that you use? I don’t know if I want to risk some crazy chemical reaction by using something different over the original, that’s just my luck πŸ™‚ Maybe I’ll try a little bit of rubbing alcohol or solvent, and see if that smooths the markings down? Yikes. Either way I’ll post my results, in case this problem comes up with anyone else. If you would like I can send you some of the clear coat we use…if I can find it. Acetone will attack the finish… try it out in a hidden spot, because it will probably wreck the finish that is left!

Melody wrote:

Zelda wrote:

Melody: Nope it’s not sticky, and all the older pieces that I had wrapped with the same bubble wrap came out fine. I don’t know if I can get sandpaper down in all the nooks and crannies, but I guess I have nothing to lose in trying. I don’t know if this has been asked before, but do you have a specific type of clearcoat that you use? I don’t know if I want to risk some crazy chemical reaction by using something different over the original, that’s just my luck πŸ™‚ Maybe I’ll try a little bit of rubbing alcohol or solvent, and see if that smooths the markings down? Yikes. Either way I’ll post my results, in case this problem comes up with anyone else. If you would like I can send you some of the clear coat we use…if I can find it. Acetone will attack the finish… try it out in a hidden spot, because it will probably wreck the finish that is left!

Yeah…the acetone idea is a last resort…I’d try the sanding thing first…

I’m a bit more drastic with these things, because I know I can fix what I mess up, but avoid the acetone thing if you can.

Kyrin

drag0nfeathers
                  Participant

I had this happen once a long time ago! It was on a hatching emperor I eventually repaired and repainted because it was also smashed to bits. πŸ™„ It was like the bubblewrap adheared to the surface and squished the finish around the wrinkles. I hope you can fix it! I sanded mine, but since I repainted it I got to cover up the mess I made.

Got a busted Windstone?
                    drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                    *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                    Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                    Siphlophis Male Dragon
                    Calypso Hatching Empress
                    Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                    Tattoo Mother Kirin
                    Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                    Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                    Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                    Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                    Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                    Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

I don’t know if this will help at all, but something to try before you take more drastic measures.

Like some others here, I also collect model horses. Sometimes they will also get the bubble wrap impressions, especially the glossy models. A recommended tip was to put the horse (or dragon) near a warm lamp for several days, hopefully in a dust-free environment, turning it as needed so it warms on all sides necessary. This can soften the gloss coat just enough to relax out the wrinkles. Of course, be very careful handling it while it is warm to avoid any fingerprints.

I know this has worked for people on glossy models, either factory finish or custom repaints. I don’t know if it will help with a Windstone, but it’s worth a try.

Melody
                    Keymaster

mikki wrote:

I don’t know if this will help at all, but something to try before you take more drastic measures.

Like some others here, I also collect model horses. Sometimes they will also get the bubble wrap impressions, especially the glossy models. A recommended tip was to put the horse (or dragon) near a warm lamp for several days, hopefully in a dust-free environment, turning it as needed so it warms on all sides necessary. This can soften the gloss coat just enough to relax out the wrinkles. Of course, be very careful handling it while it is warm to avoid any fingerprints.

I know this has worked for people on glossy models, either factory finish or custom repaints. I don’t know if it will help with a Windstone, but it’s worth a try.So glossy horses get the same thing from bubble wrap?!? Gad, I didn’t know this!

Purplecat
                      Participant

wow…I didnt either…and I think I have a couple stored that way too! 😯

Travistie
                        Participant

I had no idea the glossy models have this problem either! Now I’m all paranoid. I got some model horses packed away in my closet… some of them are glossy. I live in GA, so humidity is a common thing here in the summer time. It’s not really humid in my closet though… but I’m still all worried now! I need to check them after work. 3.5 hours to go.

I don’t think it’s just humidity, more like a combination of heat, humidity, type of gloss coat, bad luck…

Always make sure to wrap them with the smooth side of the bubble wrap inside. I saw a picture someone posted once it looked like the poor horse was attacked by an octopus or something, covered with “suction cup” marks
                          😯

Worse though, someone sent me a finished custom once, that she hadn’t let the finish “cure” long enough. She wrapped him with toilet paper then bubble wrap, shipped him from cool humid WA state to hot dry AZ – removing the TP also removed paint πŸ˜₯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.