Wrinkled gloss coat?!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Wrinkled gloss coat?!

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

If they lived in Edmonton, I would live with my parents too… lol but they live 4 hours away… talk about a heck of a commute!

For the most part, I lived no farther than 20 minutes away from my parents. They’re gone now and I’m glad that I got to see them often.
    Cherish your time with your parents even if it seems difficult at times.

Zelda,
    Have you had any luck with fixing your dragon yet? I’m interested in hearing about the lamp method. I hadn’t heard of that before, but it makes sense. Seems like it would be really tricky with model horses and you’d have to watch them closely so they don’t distort. But I can see where it could work on re-softening the finish to get it to smooth out.
    You don’t have to worry about distortion with the dragons and I don’t think the lamp heat is enough to alter the paint.

Zelda
    Participant

Hi Sumrsnow! Unfortunately the lamp method didn’t work for me, I don’t think it was hot enough to soften the finish. I intend on using my hairdryer to try and apply a more direct heat, but haven’t had the time yet! The more I read this thread and the solutions that have worked in the model horse community, it looks like sandpaper might be the way I’ll eventually have to go.

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Is there any chance that this thread could be ‘stickied’ so that it doesn’t go away? Perhaps the title to the thread could also be changed to something more appropriate say, “Bubble-wrap can be harmful for long term Windstone Storage – Read here!”

This really is an important tidbit of information about how NOT to wrap/store a Windstone long term.

Who would have thought, given enough time and the right circumstances, that bubble-wrap could cause that kind of damage to the clear coat finish of a Windstone?

Kujacker
      Participant

Leigha wrote:

I still live with my parents <.<

,_,

I do too XD I don’t think there is any problem with it (for anyone!). I’d rather stay here than go out and spend all my money and fail and come back… of course I don’t have a job right now anyway… so I couldn’t leave stupid economy… job hunting sucks right now. I really get along with them too. Plus, I’m really needed around here with how life have thrown my family.

Leigha
        Participant

I get along with my parents when my sister and brother aren’t here. Those two cause so much drama…I swear, they thrive on it. When they aren’t here, sad to say, everyone is just generally in a better mood. My mom in particular, she’s great when they aren’t here πŸ™‚

I’d rather stay here than try and make it on my own and fail too. The job I have now is crappy and I couldn’t rent a room and still buy food x_x I pay a little rent, but really really little πŸ˜€ Most of my money goes to school and stuff I don’t need (my hoarde lol)

I’ll probably live here for another few years since it’s taking me so long to finish school >.<

Rusti
          Participant

Leigha wrote:

I get along with my parents when my sister and brother aren’t here. Those two cause so much drama…I swear, they thrive on it. When they aren’t here, sad to say, everyone is just generally in a better mood. My mom in particular, she’s great when they aren’t here πŸ™‚

I’d rather stay here than try and make it on my own and fail too. The job I have now is crappy and I couldn’t rent a room and still buy food x_x I pay a little rent, but really really little πŸ˜€ Most of my money goes to school and stuff I don’t need (my hoarde lol)

I’ll probably live here for another few years since it’s taking me so long to finish school >.<

Heh, don’t feel too bad, I’m facing the ‘failed and had to come back’ situation at 28. My parents are helping me with rent, but they can’t do that much longer. If I don’t find a full time job soon, I’ll have to move back in with them.

I’d probably end up cooking or something to ‘pay rent’, as they’ve never charged me anything. I’m just glad that if the worst does happen, I have a place to run to.

Hoofer wrote:

Is there any chance that this thread could be ‘stickied’ so that it doesn’t go away? Perhaps the title to the thread could also be changed to something more appropriate say, “Bubble-wrap can be harmful for long term Windstone Storage – Read here!”

This really is an important tidbit of information about how NOT to wrap/store a Windstone long term.

Who would have thought, given enough time and the right circumstances, that bubble-wrap could cause that kind of damage to the clear coat finish of a Windstone?

I have to say again, that I’m new here and I don’t know if it’s a big problem with the Windstones. My experience has been with model horses. Have there been many people who’ve had the finish on their Windstones go sticky? If it’s isolated to maybe only one or two incidents, I’d say it was an individual thing. If it’s more often, then it could be something to watch for. And it’s not just bubble-wrap. It’s plastic in general…plastic bags, bubble-wrap, Wal-Mart type bags, etc. in addition to humidity (whether it’s hot or not).

I had it happen to a rainbow mother dragon I had packed away while I was moving to my new place. Although, mine was packed in the original box pieces of the cardboard packing seem to be stuck into the clear coat finish giving my girl a fuzzy look along her back. I lost the plastic slip! 😳
            Maybe it’s just isolated to the clear coat used on this color?
            Mine was a rainbow mother, Zelda’s a rainbow male;
            drag0nfeathers, any idea what color your hatching emperor was?

Zelda
            Participant

Ariankentara, I was thinking something along the same lines. I don’t know if Windstone would go to the trouble of using different kinds of gloss sealant for their different color lines, but it could be that this issue applies to only the ‘newer’ dragons (Rainbow, Emerald Peacock, Red Fire, etc.), or perhaps the producer of the gloss coat mixed a batch that was a little wonky, and that’s what got sent to the factory. I’ll repeat that I didn’t have this issue with any of my other pieces packed in the same way in the same box, and most of them were older pieces that weren’t as glossy. Mystery!

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Like wise! I didn’t have this problem with my others; 2 peacocks, an emerald, and a ruby. Maybe it is only with the newer ones.

You know, that’s a good point Zelda. Maybe the sealant manufacturer changed the formula in the sealant. Krylon has done that a couple of times and I hate it. I really liked the original formula of their matte sealer a lot better than the new formula.
              To me there wasn’t anything wrong with it so why change it?
              Or like you said, maybe they sent a batch that wasn’t mixed well or something.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.