What’s next on the schedule, Part 6 (for 2022)

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody What’s next on the schedule, Part 6 (for 2022)

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 588 total)
  • Author
    etruscan
    Participant

Considering even hearths get traded, I don’t think size and shipping will stop anyone. I don’t recall seeing any big sculpts as grab bags tho. Wouldn’t those take a crazy long time to paint?

Pebble horses and adult Poads have been grab bags. I’m not sure how the large hippogriff compares to those in terms of size and weight. I agree that painting a grab bag batch of the hippogriffs would take a long time because of all the feathers.

dragonmedley
      Participant

The sitting qi-lin looks so cute! Do you think there will be a grab bag?

Yes, I’ll do a grabbag of the sitting qi-lin. I almost always do a grabbag of any small new piece.
        I am undecided about the large Hippogriff though. She is kinda large for a grab bag. I don’t want people to waste too much money by shipping these around in swaps.

I thought somehow somewhere I read the mom hippogriff would be a kickstarter? Or is my imagination getting the best of me?

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

merrillannwhite
        Participant

D19A88B8-6706-4AA9-A9AA-4E37152F34E5

She’s pretty big. My suggestion: Do a waitlist like was done with the qi-lins. Give people a week or so to sign up. After it is closed, draw random names from the list. One at a time, notify each person and give them a couple of days to choose from the remaining ones or pass. After all are chosen, email the rest of the list letting them know that they weren’t drawn that time, and keep the names on the list to give priority to the next batch if there is one. This way there wouldn’t be a need to trade, and we wouldn’t crash the website trying to be first on the list because the names would be chosen randomly.

Or you could just put them up on eBay and let us duke it out. 😂

etruscan
          Participant

Catching up on a couple of things from Facebook that I missed …

Gina posted this on the “Windstone Editions Fan Club (Official)” Facebook page on July 19.
            Gina said, “Finally finished the Atlantis griffin family 😄”

Windstone_griffin_family_atlantis

etruscan
            Participant

And a new group of test paints for ebay, posted on the “Windstone Editions Fan Club (Official)” Facebook page on August 2.

This color is not yet named – Gina is doing a “Name that Dragon” poll [u]on Facebook[/u].

Gina said, “NAME THAT DRAGON IS BAAACK!
              Obviously these guys are unfinished, want to give people enough time to think up names 😂 so they might get tweaks before hitting eBay, but I’m sure I’ll take a family photo once they’re done. Griffins and unis even 🤫
              Gonna do the poll a bit different this time, give me any names you can think of for them, BUT I’m only going to put my 10 favorite names in the poll. If yours didn’t make it, it doesn’t mean I hated it, just didn’t feel quite right for these guys/maybe sparked an idea for a different scheme!
              Tl;dr – what do you think these eBay test paints should be named? The design is loosely based on bumblebee ball pythons and colors are a bit more muted than my phone captures 😅
              Hope you enjoy!”

Windstone_test-paints_yellow-orange-pink_dragons

Melody
              Keymaster

The sitting qi-lin looks so cute! Do you think there will be a grab bag?

Yes, I’ll do a grabbag of the sitting qi-lin. I almost always do a grabbag of any small new piece.
                I am undecided about the large Hippogriff though. She is kinda large for a grab bag. I don’t want people to waste too much money by shipping these around in swaps.

I thought somehow somewhere I read the mom hippogriff would be a kickstarter? Or is my imagination getting the best of me?

Maybe I suggested it, but oy, kick starters are such a pain…

Melody
                Keymaster

Considering even hearths get traded, I don’t think size and shipping will stop anyone. I don’t recall seeing any big sculpts as grab bags tho. Wouldn’t those take a crazy long time to paint?

Pebble horses and adult Poads have been grab bags. I’m not sure how the large hippogriff compares to those in terms of size and weight. I agree that painting a grab bag batch of the hippogriffs would take a long time because of all the feathers.

The hippogriff mare is in between the size of the female griffin and the pegasus mare. You wouldn’t mind shipping these things around?
                  I cringe at having to charge more for one of these than the qi-lin , having people get one they don’t like, AND then they need
                  to pay shipping to swap it!!
                  pegasus-mare-hippogriff-mare-female-griffin-size-compare

Kujacker
                  Participant

You also run the risk of just not being able to swap it. The latest qi-lin I got… I don’t like him at all. But I’m pretty sure I’m stuck with him. So at that point you have the feeling of “why did I even buy this”.
                    That aside, I don’t think shipping would be that much of a factor for swapping. If people want something, I’ll pay (I’d gladly pay to ship my qi-lin overseas if it meant I got one I liked). However I can’t imagine the initial price tag for a larger piece… THAT I would think might be too much for grab bag territory. But who knows.

Mika
                    Participant

TBH if I’m going to pay let’s say $600 or something like that for a piece I’d want to get the exact one I want, not a random shot in the dark.
                      A lotto system would be a lot of work, but enabling someone to pick which one they’d like to buy if they get chosen seems like a better idea for a larger piece. Or use a random number generator to choose who gets the piece based on how many people sign up for the chance to buy it.

dragonmedley
                      Participant

I liked that we could pick our poads from the class pics on Kickstarter.

Having something similar would allow us to get a matching mom for the young ones! Or to make sure we get one we like, no trying to trade. Of course, at this point, I guess it’s no longer an actual grab bag…

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

VS
                        Participant

I don’t see a choice lotto working any better than the blind grab bag. More than one person wanting the same sculpt is the big issue. Just look at how the KS bantams had varying numbers liking the same thing and some not being liked at all. If your first choice is gone, just like with the qi lin grab bag, people will be trying to trade for their #1 favorite.

I don’t think a lotto will prevent trading in the least because there’s always a #1 that’s different for everyone, you’d have to do custom paintjobs on each to resolve that. Or a uniform sculpt offer like the desert opal cats will reduce it. I worry that trying to match all the babies will essentially have Melody doing custom job work anyway. There doesn’t seem to be any actual solution to make everyone happy. In which case I suggest just paint what you feel like, Melody, go at it like this last grab bag, and let us fans sort ourselves out.

We are all supposed to be reasonable adults. Buy at the risk of getting not your favorite or what you want, or else don’t buy at all! You know what you’re getting into. There will always be someone else who likes it, if not now maybe later, but if that’s a lot of money to risk blindly then wait to buy it secondhand from someone else when you know what you’re getting. The markup is the cost of taking the plunge. Same with shipping. Same is the possibility your #1 will not be possible regardless what you do. You weigh what you’re willing to risk and how much that piece means to you financially. Also weigh if you can emotionally handle it if it doesn’t go the way you want it! We just need to be responsible for our decisions because in the end it boils down to WE chose to chance on a random result. Windstone and Melody try hard to please because they’re absolute sweethearts but any results are the consequences of us choosing to participate and it’s not their responsibility to make us happy if it doesn’t fall in our favor. That’s handmade art for you. If you want certainties, I suggest Wayfair decor, lol.

Ela_Hara
                          Participant

I think it would be a ton of work and unrealistic to have a large number of Grab Bag pieces the size of the Mother Hippogriff. Remember the GB Gothic Unicorns were less than 30, and they’re a a smaller sculpt and less detailed.

Of course it depends on how many Melody wants to paint individually, but I think it would be better to post them as separate limited editions in the store and sell them perhaps like the detailed Cougars were done. Or as a straight first come first served, like it was in the past for the Special Artist’s Editions Poads, Flip-Flap Cats, and other special pieces. Then you see what you are getting when you buy.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                            Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                            Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                            *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

fatalbeauty
                            Participant

well here’s how I’m seeing it, I’m not thinking lottos or kickstarters, it seems like the way to go about the more detailed hippomammas would simply be Ebay….making like two or three of each one color like the old days…sure this wouldn’t make a lot of people happy but it would mean a lot less stress for Windstone, the way I see it, they try too hard to make us all happy but there’s no true way to make us all happy….so I think the Ebay route for the specials and more simple ones for the store like the old way it was done would be the least amount of stress to do…I know we all want this and that and the other but really we have to think about how much trying to make us all happy is stressful to Windstone…..

4 things I'm looking for:
                              1. Mother Meerkat
                              2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                              3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                              4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Kujacker
                              Participant

I should say that I have zero interest in this sculpt, so everything I’m saying is about larger piece grab bags in general. I have purchased a grand total of two grab bags (qi-lin), and the whole “not liking it” is exactly why I stay away from GB. But I liked the qi-lin a lot so I jumped in.

When it comes to a high price tag (like Mika said, $600 would likely be a low ball price for this sculpt as a GB imo) GB, people will definitely be inclined to not be happy to pay so much for something they don’t like. And really, I paid twice the price for my koi qi-lin, due to dishonest people, and I can say for certainty that the higher price tag I paid is one of the reasons I’m not happy with getting a piece I don’t like.
                                Just applying that logic to a piece with an high initial price tag is all.

Honestly, I don’t think a larger piece is suited for a GB for reasons listed by others and myself. I would think just throwing them up on ebay would be a better option.

The more I read about “alternative” ways for getting pieces someone wants, the more I wonder if it doesn’t just sound kinda like commissioning Melody for a personal piece. Kinda defeats the purpose of “grab bag”.

etruscan
                                Participant

I should say that I have zero interest in this sculpt, so everything I’m saying is about larger piece grab bags in general. I have purchased a grand total of two grab bags (qi-lin), and the whole “not liking it” is exactly why I stay away from GB. But I liked the qi-lin a lot so I jumped in.

When it comes to a high price tag (like Mika said, $600 would likely be a low ball price for this sculpt as a GB imo) GB, people will definitely be inclined to not be happy to pay so much for something they don’t like. And really, I paid twice the price for my koi qi-lin, due to dishonest people, and I can say for certainty that the higher price tag I paid is one of the reasons I’m not happy with getting a piece I don’t like.
                                  Just applying that logic to a piece with an high initial price tag is all.

Honestly, I don’t think a larger piece is suited for a GB for reasons listed by others and myself. I would think just throwing them up on ebay would be a better option.

The more I read about “alternative” ways for getting pieces someone wants, the more I wonder if it doesn’t just sound kinda like commissioning Melody for a personal piece. Kinda defeats the purpose of “grab bag”.

The only problem with using ebay is there is no way to enforce “one per customer” and some people have much deeper pockets than others do.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 588 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.