What else do you collect? -Besides Windstones

Home Forums Miscellany Community What else do you collect? -Besides Windstones

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Bodine
    Participant

Your orchids are just magnificent!
      I raise lots of green things but orchids I have not mastered yet.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
      Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

pipsxlch
      Participant

The secret is ignoring them. Really. And remember that the commonly grown ones live in trees in nature, they need a quick draining potting mixture- no soil.

Bodine
        Participant

Thank you.I will have to try that one day.
          Here are some of my plants.
          Image and video hosting by TinyPic
          Image and video hosting by TinyPic sorry it didn’t flip…My Fig tree.I put it in the ground last summer,it was 2′.Not even one year later it is around 8′.
          Image and video hosting by TinyPic I need to paint my fence… since last year…bad Mimi

Bodine
          Participant

ooops,hit the wrong button.
            Image and video hosting by TinyPic These are Iris,purple and yellows so far and some of my Lilies.
            Image and video hosting by TinyPic and many more…..

pipsxlch
            Participant

Your plants are beautiful, Mimi! I tried a fig tree once, didn’t succeed… because of the ignoring orchids work for me. They’re strictly outside too, don’t have a halfway decent area inside. So nature does much of the work.

I’m on an orchid forum also, it’s open view if you’d like to lurk there and read up on some cultural tips. It’s orchidboard.com . Wolfrott that used to be here has on there also. The common grocery store orchids are Phalaenopsis; there is a thread there ‘The Phal Abuse Stops Here’ that has a lot on them.

Your grow conditions outside are probably much like mine; what’s your USDA zone? I’m 9b, in a warmish pocket. I’d be happy to help you if I can. Louisiana should be great for orchids, and there are at least a couple good nurseries nearby!

Bodine
              Participant

Thanks! I am in 8a zone.Brandon,Ms.,middle of the state.I will check out the site too.Amber and I both have tried and failed.I hate to lose a plant,especially beautiful, exotic flowers.They are alive and meant to be enjoyed. Thank you for the help.

Angelika_Zen
                Participant

I collect blown glass art…mostly poison dart frogs and hermit crabs…
                  Let’s see… what else… gemstones and crystals, and by default, I started collecting different wood carved stands. Rosewood is my favourite.

I guess I can say that I collect movies. I have around 600 of them. I never really considered it a “collection”…same with plants. They seem multiply around here, but I never would have thought of them as a collection.

Oh, and I also have a collection of martini glasses (no sets, just odds and ends that differ from the standard clear glass, straight stem) Some, I won’t ever use; I said “SOME”. 😉

I almost forgot, I also collect John Fluevog shoes. It started many many years ago, and I only realized I was collecting them, when I was buying them and NOT ever wearing them. Like Windstones, that’s an expensive collection! Natasha VL, I can hear you now “WHAAA???? YOU’RE NOT WEARING THEM” lol…I know, right?! some have never seen dirt…but I just HAD to have them.

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Natasha
                  Participant

Ha! Fluevogs are the greatest shoes ever and I definitely have a Fluevog problem! I stopped counting at 30 pairs…and that was several years ago! But seriously- wear them!!!!!

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
                    ANY Red Eyed Unis
                    ANY Test Paint Bat
                    UNIS:
                    The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
                    Male- Snow Leopard TP
                    White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
                    Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
                    Mother: Okapi
                    Gothic - Mahogany
                    PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
                    DRAGONS: Male Coyote

pipsxlch
                    Participant

I’m sorry; for some reason I thought you were in Louisiana. I have an aunt not too far from you then, in Laurel to the southeast.

Cymbidiums might work well for you for outside plants! I can’t grow (well, can grow but not flower too often) them since they require a big cool down in the fall to set blooms. People in central/northern California use them as bedding plants.

One of the biggest killers of plants with novices is overwatering. If you look on that website you’ll see something called semi-hydro; I repotted one of my sister’s Phals this way and it has been quite happy. It makes it pretty easy. I took a soup container from a Chinese restaurant, burned a row of holes in it about halfway up, and potted the bareroot plant in it in LECA (little clay balls, you can find them in hydroponics stores or pet shops for reptile habitats). When you water, the water is reserved on the bottom but drains where the holes are. Water once a week, the LECA above the hole level dries while the plant can run roots down into the reservoir for extra water if it wants. There’s a better explanation on the website. It makes the guesswork on watering easier and might reduce the frequency of repotting since the LECA is inert.

Bodine
                      Participant

That is very cool.I will share this info with Amber and try again.We do not have a quick cool down fall.We have about 3weeks of fall and spring here.
                        As for the Fig….find it’s happy place.This one was moved twice.I keep a good eye on a fresh transplant and you can tell within a month whether it will grow good there.Mine almost died until one day I was sitting on the porch watching how the sun hits the yard and I moved it in the front where my lilies and peonies took off fast and voilà!It put out a fresh leaf within a week and has not slowed down.It went from a little over a foot where it had been for a year to 8ft within a year.They like to be close to a building or wooden fence,70% daylight,water often and feed it.Mother Nature does the rest.I use miracle-gro for garden.
                        Thank you for the excellent conversation on our green friends.
                        I grew up on the West Bank,New Orleans.It gets hot and humid here but nothing like the bayou country.I feel for y’all but it does grow wonderful plants.

Bodine
                        Participant

Another collection.

IMG_20191027_124453

Bodancia
                          Participant

In addition to Windstone Editions, I collect:
                            Books (roughly about 5,000 – 6,000 HB and PB)
                            Breyer Model Horses
                            Trail of Painted Ponies and Horse of a Different Color
                            Stained Glass (they’re hanging in every window)
                            Lord of the Rings books and memorabilia
                            Beanie Baby Peace Bears
                            Music Boxes
                            Rocks and Minerals
                            And oh yes – Swords

Always looking for a lovely GB Young Unicorns, TP Male Dragons or TP Male Griffins!

Bodancia
                            Participant

One of my windows. This is “Big Blue” and a Blue Abstract Stained Glass.

IMG_1027

Always looking for a lovely GB Young Unicorns, TP Male Dragons or TP Male Griffins!

Bodancia
                              Participant

Oh no, I forgot to mention I collect Real Musgrave Pocket Dragons! Here are a few of them!

IMG_20191027_143240

Bodine
                                Participant

I used to have a couple pocket dragons,from Astral Castle.😊 Here is my stained glass.Dove of Peace.

IMG_20191027_155600

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 102 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.