fbpx

SPark's 2014-2015 PYOs

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone SPark's 2014-2015 PYOs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 156 total)
  • Author
    SPark
    Participant

This is a retired thread, as far as my posting new things, my more recent work can be found here: http://windstoneeditions.com/forum/sparks-new-pyo-thread-blue-roan-hippocampus

Recent PYOs:

Old PYOs:

P.S. I have a complete set of step-by-step pics on how I did the lava dragon, if anybody wants to see that, too.

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

Hey SPark! great to see you here again <3 Missed you bigtime! *hugs* I see you're painting is as beautiful as always!

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Amstaff
        Participant

Wowzers ! You have some amazing work !

I love the kirins which have the lava-like scales, and the other with lava-like body and black scales, both very impressive. I also really like the kirin done like a koi. And the griffin that looks like a lava leopard, just awesome !!

And the dragons …. all I can say is wow ! The red/black one and the lava one are both stunning! And yes, I would love to see your step-by-step pics !

So have you sold these all already? Id be surprised if they havent sold, if they were for sale that is ๐Ÿ˜‰

SPark
          Participant

Hey SPark! great to see you here again <3 Missed you bigtime! *hugs* I see you're painting is as beautiful as always!

It’s good to be back. Though I am kind of planning on mostly hanging around the PYO section. Venturing out into other parts of the forum is a good way to get all frustrated and emo about being too poor to buy production Windstones. ๐Ÿ™ But it is really fun going back through the posts and seeing all the amazing things people have been doing.

Wowzers ! You have some amazing work !

I love the kirins which have the lava-like scales, and the other with lava-like body and black scales, both very impressive. I also really like the kirin done like a koi. And the griffin that looks like a lava leopard, just awesome !!

And the dragons …. all I can say is wow ! The red/black one and the lava one are both stunning! And yes, I would love to see your step-by-step pics !

So have you sold these all already? Id be surprised if they havent sold, if they were for sale that is ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks! (The koi kirin seems to be a lot of people’s favorite.) And yeah, they’re long-since sold, these are from years ago. I had to sell off almost my entire collection, including PYOs, back in the day. So the only ones that aren’t sold are the memorial kitty, which of course is not for sale, and the willow kirin that I just did, which I have no idea what I’ll do with. I’d probably sell that one if somebody wanted it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll post up the step-by-step on the lava dragon later today, probably. The forum keeps timing out on me right now, so I’m not sure I want to try writing up another long, pic-heavy post if it might not post correctly.

Amstaff
            Participant

The willow kirin is very pretty, and I cant believe you actually painted over the gold horn… it was gold was it not? That would take guts to paint over that… for me it would at least, lol! It does look pretty awesome like that though ๐Ÿ˜‰

The forum is likely timing out due to the phone line issues Windstone is having, or because people are in checking out or buying the new unicorns in the store ๐Ÿ˜‰ I get a Error 404 every now and then as I think the website is too busy at times, lol !

SPark
              Participant

The willow kirin is very pretty, and I cant believe you actually painted over the gold horn… it was gold was it not? That would take guts to paint over that… for me it would at least, lol! It does look pretty awesome like that though ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yep, it was gold. I didn’t want any gold in this color scheme though, I wanted just green and silver. So it had to go! I actually sanded it lightly first with very fine sandpaper, to give the paint a little grip, (otherwise it’ll come off if you even look at it funny) and then just painted it the same silver as on the hooves and the scale trim. Very easy to do!

SPark
                Participant

Willow Kirin

So I just finished this guy this morning. He is frustratingly hard to photograph well, it took several tries to get these, and they’re still not perfect. In particular, it’s very hard to see that his scales have a little bit of purple interference paint on them. Admittedly even in person it’s a subtle effect, but it’s almost entirely vanished in these pictures, alas.

Still, I’m pretty pleased with how this came out. I really like the fancy ki-rin! So fun to paint! I need to do more of them. (I need to do lots of things, there are still a BUNCH of sculpts that I’ve never painted any of. Foo dogs, the keeper, phoenix, kittygriff… I need more money to buy PYOs, except first I really should paint the rest of the old ones I have sitting around.)

Lauren
                  Participant

These are lovely! It’s really cool to be able to see a person’s collective work and watch them grow as an artist. ๐Ÿ™‚

Btw, if you’re having troubles with pages timing out and losing your coding, what I always do is open up a word document and copy and past everything in before hitting submit, that way if something goes wrong I have a back up.

SPark
                    Participant

These are lovely! It’s really cool to be able to see a person’s collective work and watch them grow as an artist. ๐Ÿ™‚

Btw, if you’re having troubles with pages timing out and losing your coding, what I always do is open up a word document and copy and past everything in before hitting submit, that way if something goes wrong I have a back up.

Thank you! (And also duh, that’s a great idea. I will go start putting together a post with the dragon. Thanks!)

SPark
                      Participant

Okay! Here’s the step-by-step on the lava dragon. It’s one of those things that really anybody can do, it just takes patience, but it’s super-easy.

Step one, get a dragon. I like using yellow eyes for this. If I do one again, though, I want to buy pupil-less eyes, so it just looks like the yellow lava is glowing through from underneath. You will also need a small sponge (I like a real sponge, I find that sponge brushes and makeup sponges leave too regular and small a texture, a natural sponge is more interesting and splotchy.) And of course you need black, yellow, orange, and red paints. Maybe a little purple, or some very dark red too.

Step two, paint it all the lightest, brightest yellow you have. (I am so glad I don’t have to tape off eyes anymore!) Let this dry completely. (You should let the colors dry completely between each step.)

Step three, mix a little orange into your yellow to get a nice marigold color. Take a sponge and dab that all over. Be generous. You don’t want to cover up the yellow completely, but you want it to be mostly marigold at this point.

Step four, take the orange, without any yellow, and sponge that over. You want to use a little less of this than you did of the marigold, but still be generous. Make it irregular, don’t splotch it evenly.

Step five, mix a little red into your orange to get a nice poppy color. Sponge that all over. Use less of this, you want to make sure lots of the colors under it show through.

Step six, sponge on some red. Make it very irregular and splotchy, and don’t use too much, you don’t need a lot. I actually also used a little very dark red, very sparingly, to add some final texture. Now you’re done with the easy part, time for the hard part.

Step seven, paint on bits of black. Only paint the “tops” of things, leave the cracks in between scales. Also, when the scales are really tiny, you may want to join some of them together, or if they’re really big, break them up and leave cracks in between. This part isn’t actually hard, but it takes FOREVER to do.

Step eight, seal it with your sealer of choice, and you’re done!

Amstaff
                        Participant

Awesome !! I love it ! I may in fact try this when I get to painting my dragon… someday… hope you dont mind? Im sure it wouldnt look exactly like your anyways ๐Ÿ˜‰

Celestial Rainstorm
                          Participant

I love how incredibly soft Willow looks. She’s just stunning.

Finding happiness again.

MandBsMom
                            Participant

I love the Willow Kirin! Also, I think your lava dragon technique would work just as well with another set of colors as well. I’m tempted to try it with green and blues.

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

Kim
                              Blocked

Wow, that lava dragon is so cool! I like your other pieces as well. Very cool colour schemes!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

SPark
                                Participant

Awesome !! I love it ! I may in fact try this when I get to painting my dragon… someday… hope you dont mind? Im sure it wouldnt look exactly like your anyways ๐Ÿ˜‰

Nah, I don’t mind! I wouldn’t have posted it if I didn’t want people to try it.

I love the Willow Kirin! Also, I think your lava dragon technique would work just as well with another set of colors as well. I’m tempted to try it with green and blues.

I’ve thought about doing a blue fire version. I’d love to see it done with other colors.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 156 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.