fbpx

Song of the South

Home Forums Miscellany Community Song of the South

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

I don’t know if anyone out there remembers the Disney movie Song of the South? It’s the one with Zip-a-doo-da and it’s the basis of Splash Mountain. It first came out in 1946 but Disney won’t release it now so as not to offend people. Which is what I don’t get. A friend of mine who is very liberal, very current affairs savvy (listens to NPR constantly) and who froths about banning books totally supports that position. We’ve had several heated arguments about it. The last time I pointed out that neither of us had seen it in decades so without seeing it again how could we tell if it was offensive?

So I found a website that sells it (it was released abroad) and watched it last night and I still don’t get what is so offensive about it. I honestly don’t intend to offend anyone but if someone could explain what’s so bad about it I would appreciate it.

What I have heard are a couple of things. One is the tar baby story because the term tar baby denigrates African Americans. I had never heard the term used in that context and according to Wipedia the term “came to be deragotory” which means when Disney made the movie it wasn’t a bad term. Also, that it portrays slaves poorly. But it is set after the Civil War so the characters aren’t slaves although they are subservient. But hey aren’t there other movies out there with slaves? Gone with the Wind springs to mind.

When I watched it the story was as I remembered it – about the friendship between a lonely white boy and an old black man. The ones who are portrayed badly, in my opinion, are Johnny’s white parents. His mom, for example, keeps making decisions not knowing all the facts and forces him to give up his puppy to two boys who just want to drown it. Johnny is encouraged to play with a black boy (ok, the boy is ordered to watch out for Johnny and gets in trouble when Johnny disappears) and is told not to play with the two white boys (who are portrayed as white trash, for want of a better term). Br’er Rabbit is based on West African myths about a trickster (it’s interesting how many cultures have trickster legends) and Uncle Remus is revered as a story teller. Besides Johnny the only cool white characters are his grandmother (who appears to have a long friendship with Uncle Remus) and Ginny, the 2 boys’ sister who is the one who gives Johnny the puppy. Toward the end when Johnny is injured by a bull it isn’t his father’s return that brings him back but Uncle Remus’.

Like I said I certainly don’t want to offend anyone but I just don’t see what is so wrong about this movie. It has some of the earliest animated/live action scenes ever done and some great music in it. Anyone have any opinions?

Skigod377
    Participant

I have not seen it so I cannot comment on that particular movie. I know They are even taking Speedy Gonzalez out of cartoons because no one wants to offend hispanics. Speaking as an EO rep, I can tell you that its not totally about the movie, but just that SOME parts can offend SOMEONE. I had a discussion the other day about what pictures are appropriate at the work place. I dont know what the big deal is about stuff in the past. We learn from it so as not to re live it. If we bury it, or pretend it never existed, we are bound to repeat our mistakes.

ladybrooklyn
      Participant

Oh for crying out loud!!! Speedy??? they are CENSORING SPEEDY????

Well let’s just censor ALL of the old Warner Bros and Disney shorts!!! for the love of god!

If you are offended by a CARTOON that was produced 40+ years ago… then that’s your own bloody fault for not stepping away from it… and just enjoying the story and animation…

C’mon now!!!

As far as Song of the South goes… Disney is afraid. Period end. They don’t want to release it and have people sueing them or bad mouthing them for it’s release.

The WHOLE problem with it is that it’s a story set to the backdrop of slavery. that’s IT!

::Grumbles:: I could rant on this for hours.

What site did you find it at?? can you download it from teh web? or did you buy a DVD from it? If you bought a DVD… how did you watch it, since DVDs are produced for certain regions (ie I can’t buy a DVD released in England and watch it on my DVD player because my DVD player is setup to play US discs only…)???

My dad would LOVE that movie!!

Seriously… that is one of the saddest stories in hollywood. Song of the South (of course I haven’t see it in years. We had a bootlegged VHS copy that’s probably broken.. so I’m remembering from childhood) was a great movie. Very well done for the time it was made, and made to reflect… πŸ˜› And all it gets is flack because people are too thick to get past the Slavery thing. πŸ˜›

Skigod377
        Participant

Maybe after a few more generations it wont be such a sore subject.

ladybrooklyn
          Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Maybe after a few more generations it wont be such a sore subject.

See… even that… I don’t think that’s right…

Let’s just not talk about it… or watch movies and study it so we can better understand it… no let’s just scrap it from existance… not teach it in classrooms… and just pretend it didn’t exist…

Like I said… I could go on and on…

Because there HAS been talk of removing such… “offensive” lessons from schools… because god forbid we should teach our children something they (or rather their PARENTS) could be offended by… ::grumbles::

I got it from: http://www.songofthesouthdvdremastered.com/

It’s obviously an old movie but the picture quality is good. I was afraid it wouldn’t play or something but it was worth the $23 gamble to me and it worked just fine on my DVD player.

There are a lot of things on TV and radio I personally find offensive – Howard Stern, most rap music and (deleted, don’t want to bring up politics). And you know what? I just turn the dial or turn it off if something bothers me. Nobody would have to buy SOTS if they didn’w want to. If I remember correctly when A Fish Called Wanda was out in the theaters it was picketed by people upset by the depiction of the character who stuttered and they released that movie on DVD.

Skigod377
            Participant

Seems like no matter what, someone is gonna be offended. (Hope that didnt offend anyone:)

πŸ˜†

ladybrooklyn
              Participant

Oh cool! thanks for the link! I might have to get one for my dad… he really wants that movie…

Agreed! If you don’t like it… don’t buy it… don’t listen to it… deal with it!

but still… kids should be taught about it… and allowed to ask questions… so they can figure it out for themselves! πŸ˜›

skigod377 wrote:

Seems like no matter what, someone is gonna be offended. (Hope that didnt offend anyone:)

πŸ˜†

ladybrooklyn
                Participant

skigod377 wrote:

There’s actually a song that Brad Paisley (a country singer… an AWESOME country singer) just put out on his Christmas CD… “The Completely Non-Offensive and Politically Correct Holiday”

It’s really funny… ^.^ Its three cowboys sitting around a fire… trying to sing Christmas Carols… but they keep getting bleeped on Christmas… and White… and Orient… etc. πŸ˜€

If anyone is interested… I transcribed the song on anotehr forum… I could post it here… πŸ˜†

Skigod377
                  Participant

I heard something like that on Saturday Night Live! It was a riot, but soooo true!

Participant

This thread brings up a good point. How much is too much and like Ski said, if you bury it, it will come back again.

We might as well ban “The Hunt for Red October” with Sean Connery, because one of the Navy officers (I think it was that character) said the word “Ruskies” in a degrogatory way. You could probably ban about 3/4 of movies and animation on words and showing anyone in a diagreeable light alone.

Bob

I can’t believe how censored this world is getting. I collect Disney annimation and have been waiting for Song of the South for years. My pod mate at work also has a screen saver with Tom from Tom and Jerry smoking. He said they are also re doing the old cartoons to get rid of the smoking reference because they are now saying it is not a good reference for the kids. I grew up with them but I still do not drink or smoke. I wonder what is going to be attacked next???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.