Shepard's Pie

Home Forums Miscellany Food Shepard's Pie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Arlla
    Participant

Took me a while to remember this one and come back to it LOL
      Here’s my recipe, which was pirated from several other recipes including my great Aunt Corinne’s :

Ingrediants:

(FILLING)
      1-1 1/2 lbs ground turkey (or beef or lamb)
      1 bag frozen carrot/pea mix
      1/2 small golden onion
      1 clove garlic
      1 tblsp olive oil
      1 cup beef broth (or 1 cup water + beef bullion)
      rosemary
      thyme
      nutmeg
      worchestshire sauce
      salt/pepper

(MASHED POTATOES)
      4 yukon gold potatoes
      milk
      1 tblsp butter or margarine
      salt/pepper
      paprika

-Start potatoes: cut potatoes into equal chunks and set to boil in generously salted water – allow to boil on low until filling is completed

-Mince onion and garlic; sautee in olive oil until tender (don’t burn the garlic!)
      -add ground meat and cook until brown
      -you can attempt to drain the fat if you like
      -add beef broth (or water and bullion) and bring to boil
      -add spices and worchestshire sauce to taste (I usually do a pinch of each spice, a generous splash of the worchestshire and then salt and pepper)
      -add about half a bag of the fozen carrot/pea mix; mix in
      -boil until liquid is gone; taste and add any additional spices if necessary

When the liquid is close to being boiled off, finish up the potatoes
      -drain potatoes
      -add butter salt and pepper
      -begin to mash (I use a hand held electric mixer) add milk slowly while mashing to achieve desired creaminess

-add filling to cassarole dish
      -spoon potatoes evenly across filling
      -sprinkle potatoes with paprika
      -cover and bake in preheated oven at 400 for 30 min. (if a slightly crispy crust is desired on potatoes, uncover for the last 10 minutes of baking)

….hmm. That seems long and complicated looking at it now…it’s really not that hard, though. Sorry, I know there’s a science to writing out recipes, but I just wrote this one up off the top of my head…I hope it’s not too confusing or convoluted.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
      -J R R Tolkien

Skigod377
      Participant

Arlla wrote:

Here’s my recipe, which was pirated from several other recipes including my great Aunt Corinne’s :

Ingrediants:

(FILLING)
        1/2 small golden onion
        1 clove garlic
        1 tblsp olive oil
        rosemary
        thyme
        nutmeg
        worchestshire sauce
        salt/pepper

(MASHED POTATOES)
        4 yukon gold potatoes
        milk
        salt/pepper
        paprika

-Start potatoes: cut potatoes into equal chunks and set to boil in generously salted water – allow to boil on low until filling is completed

-Mince onion and garlic; sautee in olive oil until tender (don’t burn the garlic!)
        -add spices and worchestshire sauce to taste (I usually do a pinch of each spice, a generous splash of the worchestshire and then salt and pepper)

-drain potatoes
        -begin to mash (I use a hand held electric mixer) add milk slowly while mashing to achieve desired creaminess

-cover and bake in preheated oven at 400 for 30 min. (if a slightly crispy crust is desired on potatoes, uncover for the last 10 minutes of baking)

….hmm. That seems long and complicated looking at it now…it’s really not that hard, though. Sorry, I know there’s a science to writing out recipes, but I just wrote this one up off the top of my head…I hope it’s not too confusing or convoluted.

I made this last night. It was pretty darn good. My bf liked it too, though he had nothing to compare it to since he had never had sheppards pie. He told me he didnt think sheppards ate this. I told him I visited http://www.sheppards.com and asked them and this was indeed what they ate. Where did he think I got the recipe?? Thanks for posting it!

oh ya those laptop toteing shepherds, lmao.

skigod377 wrote:

Arlla wrote:

Ingrediants:

(FILLING)
        1/2 small golden onion
        1 clove garlic
        1 tblsp olive oil
        rosemary
        thyme
        nutmeg
        worchestshire sauce
        salt/pepper

(MASHED POTATOES)
        4 yukon gold potatoes
        milk
        salt/pepper
        paprika

-drain potatoes

I made this last night. It was pretty darn good. My bf liked it too, though he had nothing to compare it to since he had never had sheppards pie. He told me he didnt think sheppards ate this. I told him I visited http://www.sheppards.com and asked them and this was indeed what they ate. Where did he think I got the recipe?? Thanks for posting it!
        Arlla and Ski, how much salt and pepper did you guys use? I’m really bad at doing things “to taste”…I always measure everything…

Skigod377
        Participant

I didnt measure. I actually just put some shakes in there. About 10 shakes of salt and 20 of pepper. One of the spices listed above has a strong smell and I used a bit too much of it. Nutmeg, maybe?

Thanks…that gives me an idea…

frozendragon
          Participant

skigod377 wrote:

I didnt measure. I actually just put some shakes in there. About 10 shakes of salt and 20 of pepper. One of the spices listed above has a strong smell and I used a bit too much of it. Nutmeg, maybe?

I totally don’t use those spices….black pepper starts up my asthma so I use red pepper, crushed basil leaves…garlic salt instead of salt, use tomato paste instead of broth….more vegatables…cause there’s corn and green beans usually too…

but other than that it’s all the same…..

but of course there are probably a million variations to sheppards pie

Starbreeze
            Participant

Quote:

CherylKaufman

1 lb hamburger seasoned with salt and pepper cooked until brown and drained.

2 cans of corn, drained

5 medium large potatos made into mashed potatos (don’t use potato flakes)- I add milk, butter, salt, pepper, and a slice or two of cheese to my mashed potatos until it looks like normal consistency

2 cups brown gravy (buy a little packet of easy-to-make gravy and make according to directions)

In a medium size baking dish put the hamburger on the bottom, cover with 1/2-3/4 cups of the gravy. Add drained corn on top of meat. Put mashed potatos on top of corn and spread until smooth on top. Poke 9-12 holes through the mashed potatos down to the meat. Pour remaining 1.25-1.5 cups of gravy on top of mashed potatos. Cook at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with bread.

Very tasty.

I made Cheryl’s version of shepherd’s pie tonight for dinner…it was delicious!!!! I knew I had a winner when after his first bite, my son said “this is good”. Thanks Cheryl!!! 😆

Skigod377
              Participant

Im gonna try that one, too. I like the gravy idea. The one I made was good, but I was thinking gravy would make it better.

Thanks Star 😀 It realli is tasty!

Starbreeze
                Participant

Any more recipes like that??? I get so bored cooking the same old thing all the time..

YEP!!

Rice A Roni MEATBALLS

Take a pound of hamburger, put it in a big bowl, season with salt and pepper, add an egg and RICE A RONI (NOODLES ONLY) and squish around until well blended. Take out clumps and shape into balls. Cook each ball on two sides in a skillet just until brown and a LITTLE crunchy (it’s not fully cooked by any means)

Separately, in a baking dish- I use a 13×9″ dish mix 2.5 Cups of water and Rice A Roni SEASONING mix- use wisk.

Once meatballs are browned, put them in the 13×9″ dish with the water and seasoning mix. Cover with foil and cook at 375 for 25 minutes, take dish out and FLIP meatballs, cook another 15-20 minutes. Flip back over once done and let sit 5+ minutes- serve with potatos and corn or veggie of choice.

I dip mine in ketchup.

Starbreeze
                  Participant

hmmmm…very interesting….I’ll let you know when I try it….thanks!!!

mimitrek wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

Arlla wrote:

Ingrediants:

(FILLING)
                    1 bag frozen carrot/pea mix (1 lb. bag, used whole bag instead of half)
                    1/2 small golden onion
                    1 clove garlic
                    1 tblsp olive oil
                    rosemary (1/2 tsp)
                    thyme (1/2 tsp)
                    nutmeg
                    worchestshire sauce (2 tsp)
                    salt (1/2 tsp)
                    pepper (3/4 tsp)

(MASHED POTATOES)
                    4 yukon gold potatoes (2 lbs.)
                    milk (5 fl. oz.)
                    salt (1/2 tsp)
                    pepper (1/2 tsp)
                    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
                    paprika
                    butter (~ 1 tbsp for dotting on top of potatoes)
                    parmesan cheese (for sprinkling on potatoes)

(I put the potatoes whole in a pot with unsalted water and boiled for 40 min.)

-drain potatoes
                    -add parmesan cheese and mix well

-dot potatoes with butter
                    -sprinkle potatoes with parmesan cheese

Arlla and Ski, how much salt and pepper did you guys use? I’m really bad at doing things “to taste”…I always measure everything…
                    I made Arlla’s shepherd’s pie recipe for lunch today and it was really good! In case anyone’s interested, I’ve put the amounts that I used for the ingredients that didn’t have exact quantities listed, and I made a couple of changes too (these are all in red above). I also made buttermilk biscuits and they went with the shepherd’s pie pretty well.

I’m going to try Cheryl’s version next…

You know, I’m probably just being pedantic, but having lived in Yorkshire for the last eight years… if it isn’t made with lamb or mutton, it’s not shepherd’s pie, it’s “Cottage” pie.

But that addition of parmesan cheese to the recipe sounds really, really nice… I’ll have to try it!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.