Securing Windstones in Earthquake Country!

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Securing Windstones in Earthquake Country!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Natasha
    Participant

So My two big display cases get moved to my office on Friday and then I’ll begin figuring out how to display a big chunk of my collection. Anyone have any tips? Specifically, has anyone used museum putty to stick them down? There is a thin layer of fabric in my cases, so I’m not sure how well it will stick. But I also live in earthquake country and leaving them unsecured gives me the vapors. I’d love to hear if anyone has any suggestions/experience in general, and with museum putty in particular. Thanks!

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
      ANY Red Eyed Unis
      ANY Test Paint Bat
      UNIS:
      The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
      Male- Snow Leopard TP
      White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
      Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
      Mother: Okapi
      Gothic - Mahogany
      PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
      DRAGONS: Male Coyote

pipsxlch
      Participant

I don’t know how y’all can bear earthquakes. Give me hurricanes any day, at least you can see them coming.

A member from years ago with a big collection, DragonMaster (sp?) posted that he used earthquake putty with his collection. I think he’d been through several quakes safely with it.

etruscan
        Participant

This has been discussed before but not recently.

? Museum Putty

Suzanne-Marie says that she uses it : https://windstoneeditions.com/forums/topic/madmadmad-weather/

Earthquakes & Windstones

earthquake today

etruscan
          Participant

The Forum ate my post, probably because I edited it too much. Trying again …
            This thread has some information about earthquake putty including posts by Dragon Master [now called Bob on the Forum]:

Display cases

Melody
            Keymaster

Also, it is a good idea to fasten your display case to the wall too.

whisker hunter west
              Participant

Step (1) = Secure your display cases to the wall ON A STUD – drywall will just rip out, even if you use a heavy-duty anchor. Drywall anchors are mostly good for vertical loads, not horizontal.

Depending on what type of cases (mostly metal & glass, or full wood frame) & how well they fit next to the wall (can you snug the back of the case against the wall, or do mouldings etc. mean there’s a gap) & specific advice that experienced locals may have, you may want a tight fit (ex. bolt through the back of wood bookcase directly into the studs) or a “loose” fit (straps that give the a few inches of “swaying” room before the pull taut).

Step (2) = Secure your Windstones inside your display case.
                I haven’t used museum putty because I don’t want to muck up the felt pad on the bottom of my Windstones, but you could probably “mound” it at the edges to get a good secure hold. Make sure you read the directions on it – there’s a sort of “trick” of twisting it down to secure, at least the type I used to secure some vases.

My favorite method is taking a thin (~1/4″) sheet of stiff foam and cutting a panel the size of the shelf of your display case, then cutting close-fit holes for the individual sculpture to sit in. It will prevent the sculpt from rattling horizontally in the case, and if things are shaking so much the sculpts jump out of the foam, well, there’s probably going to be bigger worries. You can hide the foam with fabric, or other pretty covers materials of your choice.

I’m sure other people have their own tactics, too!

Continuing the family tradition of being obsessed with shiny things.

Natasha
                Participant

These are great suggestions! Thank you so much!

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
                  ANY Red Eyed Unis
                  ANY Test Paint Bat
                  UNIS:
                  The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
                  Male- Snow Leopard TP
                  White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
                  Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
                  Mother: Okapi
                  Gothic - Mahogany
                  PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
                  DRAGONS: Male Coyote

Ela_Hara
                  Participant

I like this idea! I don’t have display cases, but will hopefully have wall shelves sometime in the future… Great tip, thanks!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                    Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                    Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                    *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

Hmmm. never thought of that. My mind goes to velcro first

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Bodine
                      Participant

What a scary thing to deal with.I agree with you Pip,give me a hurricane anyday to earthquake or volcano areas.Nope.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Anonymous

With the care of my Windstones, having them safe and secure would be my first priority, if I lived in an Earthquake state, I would move. But that’s me Free to the wind.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.