fbpx

Display cases

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Display cases

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Susan
    Participant

This is more of a rant about my frustration and me, or a place to write down all my thoughts on my situation.

A friend of mine and I are having the hardest time finding something worthy of showing off our respective collections. I only mention the friend part because we have the same needs but I’ll just mention my frustration from my point of view.

I have an empty dining room. Why? Because I can’t find furniture. I have window treatments which complement the colors of the peacock line cause it’s easier to find a bolt of cloth than it is to find wood furniture.

I’m looking for something black or very dark brown. Locking doors. Wood and glass. Wood structure, wood shelves, glass panels so you can see. Lighting is optional. My friend is dead set against tempered glass shelves and at first I kind of was too. The thought of the top shelf slipping off its pegs or snapping in half from a defect and crashing down through the other shelves and Windstones throws me into a fit of panic. You can tell me over and over again that tempered glass is strong, but with my luck, I’d get the defective piece.

Of course I should put all the heavy pieces at the bottom. But when you have the old warrior, old warrior prototype, large wizard and emperor in two colors, you kind of run out of room on the bottom shelf.

Right now, all of my peacocks and non-dragons are on my fire place mantle and my emeralds are on my dresser. Collecting dust. Exposed to the cat. I’m hoping it’s a temporary solution.

I think I’m actually looking for three pieces. One low and long piece for the extra heavy pieces and two tall and narrow pieces for the not so heavy pieces.

But finding something that meets all of my requirements is getting to be near impossible. And here’s where my frustration with me comes in. I’m too picky. I inevitably find something wrong with what little I find. Too many wood carvings, the legs are too tall, the doors don’t have enough glass, too industrial looking, not grand enough, too grand, too much metal, too open, not my style, not deep enough, too expensive, I just don’t like it. And, of course, I should look for some place local so I can inspect the craftsmanship.

I’ve done searches for curios, display cases, buffets, bookcases with doors, cabinets. Argh! I could have it custom made. But then I’ll have to do the research to find someone reputable and that just sends me deeper into frustration.

Why am I making this so hard?!

If you made it all the way to the end, thanks for listening to me ramble 😛

Susan
      Participant

I made it to the end. 😛
        I don’t have any suggestions for you and your probably not looking for any. Good luck in finding the perfect shelves.

Maria
        Participant

No chance you or a brother or a friend could build the shelves yourselves? Whenever we need any construction around here, it’s, “Florian, please?”

Skigod377
          Participant

I hope you find something suitable and lovely. Good luck!

I understand the thought of glass shelves. I don’t want them either. That is alot of weight. I bought nice dark cherry Sauder brand bookcases. I plan on adding hardware and glass doors to the parts without books! I figure it would be easier that way! 😀

Pegasi1978
            Participant

Have you tried going to an unfinished furniture store? When I got my doll cabinet (many years ago) it came from one. We took it home, dad took out the glass on the sides and the shelves. Then we stained it the color I wanted it to be.

My cabinet has glass shelves and I’ve never had problems with them. Of course the cabinet holds dolls, not the Windstones because there’s no room in the cabinet for them. It was full before I got my first one so they go on a nice wooden shelf on my computer desk.

That might be a good option for you to explore. Or if you find a piece you like except for the color -if you are sure it’s wood and not wood laminate you can always sand it down and restain it.

laphon1
              Participant

When I moved in to my new house I had book/display cases built. That way I got exactly what I wanted. It’s not the cheapest way to do it but it worked for me. And now that I need another case, my dragons keep multiplying, it’s not discontinued.

Bob

I have 2 glass cases and have NEVER had problems with either of them. I need a 3rd but Levitz does not have them anymore and they sold their floor model the day before my friend told me she could help me with her truck. I have found http://www.curiocabinet-store.com/
                  to have a huge ton of stuff!! I’m not sure where the deliever to but if you are willing to pay for a nice case I liked this sight. When I can afford my 3rd one I’m pretty sure I will be getting it here.
                  I also put earthquake putty under the corner of each shelf and every item I put in the cases

I am guessing earthquake putty is something that prevents stuff from tipping over? is that right– never heard of it!
                  Funny thing- lived in CA for like 3 years and never felt an earthquake– moved to upstate NY and had an earthquake within 3 months- scared the heck out of me!
                  Geeze!

frozendragon
                  Participant

mipa wrote:

I am guessing earthquake putty is something that prevents stuff from tipping over? is that right– never heard of it!
                    Funny thing- lived in CA for like 3 years and never felt an earthquake– moved to upstate NY and had an earthquake within 3 months- scared the heck out of me!
                    Geeze!

we’ve had 3 earthquakes here….

they said we’re over due for a HUGE one…

I hope it’s after I move…. 😯

Bob

yes they use earthquke putty in museums the hold down atrifacts and it does not hurt the item in anyway. I tried a little on the bottom of a felt dragon I could replace and it did not damage the felt either. It’s just like it sounds a putty and you break off a little roll it in to a ball and press it on the bottm of the piece and once you pit the piece on the shelf it’s stuck. It said to remove the item you can twist the object or use fishing line to break the seal and the item is as good as new. I lOVE it. I think it cost me like $20 for 4 or 5 packets and Home Depot. A small amout holds a lot.
                      I would HIGHLY recomend the putty to EVERYONE. They also had a gel but I did not like the sonds of that one. I was not about to have any oils near any of my dragons

We had ours in 1989 7.2 and I do not need anymore!!

The thought of an earthquake horrifies me.
                      I would die.
                      Luckily, we don’t get them here in Alberta.

As far as shelves go, the more wood carvings, the better! 😀

Elena
                      Participant

No we just get deep freezes and snow that turn into slushville when Chinooks rolls in!

I’ve got my windstones on Ikea Billy Bookshelves. They’re pretty strong (I think something like 25lbs each shelf) and I’ve never had a problem. Of course I don’t have cats, if I did I think that earthquake putty would be a sound investment. I’m a little nervous about glass, maybe cause it looks sooo delicate and I definately prefer wood shelving for all my lovelies. Unfinished furniture or having it built and then staining is probably (I think) the only way to truly get the color you want even though it’s labour intensive.

Bob

well the last really 2 big ones where 1906 and 1989 so I would hope it would be another 83 years from 1989 for the next one!!

I LOVE my Glass shelves and the way they make my pretties look

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.