Reports of Fake & Knock-off Windstones and general infringements

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Reports of Fake & Knock-off Windstones and general infringements

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 321 total)
  • Author
    etruscan
    Participant

Yesterday (March 28) Melody posted this on the “Windstone Editions” Facebook page.
      Melody says, “Some fakes are easy to spot. This one is a candle.”

Windstone_knock-off_dragon_candle

Mika
      Participant

That knockoff dragon looks like raw meat lol

Nightcrow
        Participant

Just spotted this possible fake on Etsy, although unfortunately I didn’t see it until after it sold:

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m15040937025/

My opinion leans more toward a repaint, because of the eyes, but the lack of felt on the bottom is a bit suspicious.

I’ll email John with the link, just in case he can track down any more info.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Melody
          Keymaster

Just spotted this possible fake on Etsy, although unfortunately I didn’t see it until after it sold:

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m15040937025/

My opinion leans more toward a repaint, because of the eyes, but the lack of felt on the bottom is a bit suspicious.

I’ll email John with the link, just in case he can track down any more info.

I looked at that one… Very mysterious! So I am sleuthing this out.
            The dragon looks genuine, though I can’t explain why it doesn’t have a pad. We put a pad on every finished piece that leaves the factory, except some pebbles and the outdoor rock dragons, but those are all either stamped or signed. Even if it is a test-painted “rescue” that we had gifted to someone, it would have been given a pad. This hatching emperor also isn’t a color we ever made, far as I can tell, and it isn’t a repainted pearl white one either because those have yellow eyes!
            Because he has precise silver details, fairly nice antiquing, and careful painting on the inside of the mouth, it sure seems like he was painted in our factory by one of our skilled painters.
            I also notice he does not have a caster’s initials and date scratched into the bottom or a pencil mark that should have been added after the piece is dry. These marks are supposed to be on all of the ones we cast…the casters do forget to scratch their initials on pieces once in a while, but it is really suspicious to not have not either mark! It does have the sanding marks on the bottom that most of our pieces have when they are finished, so it was cast and sanded and then… the trail vanishes.
            I also don’t see any obvious defects that would indicate it was a “second”, but pinholes are hard to spot in photos.

So my guess is it is a genuine Windstone dragon that escaped our factory without a pad, or marks, by some unknown (possibly backdoor) route.

Ann Marie
            Participant

This sounds like a detective story — a pretty interesting one, too!

Magentas-Cat

Nightcrow
              Participant

Interesting! I was wondering if, assuming it’s a repaint, the pad was damaged along with the dragon and that’s why someone repainted it, or perhaps just removed the pad to make repainting easier. (Maybe they didn’t do that at first, and got paint all over it?) 🙂

If he’s a real factory paintjob, though, then perhaps the painter sanded out the initials/didn’t add a pad because they were salvaging (or, uh, “”salvaging””) a blank dragon?

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

merrillannwhite
                Participant

If the pad got really cigarette stanky or something they may have removed it and sanded the bottom smooth.

LZ
                  Participant

“Authentic” mother dragon just listed on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313962968621?hash=item4919a6b62d:g:1dIAAOSwIJ5iXjJG

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

Mika
                    Participant
                      windstonefan
                      Participant
                        Mika
                        Participant

This looks like a fake old hatchie to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185476235337

Edit: looking at it more it might just be heavily damaged and badly repaired as opposed to a knockoff. Any second opinions?

Ela_Hara
                          Participant

This looks like a fake old hatchie to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185476235337

Edit: looking at it more it might just be heavily damaged and badly repaired as opposed to a knockoff. Any second opinions?

It appears to me to be a badly damaged original ‘old’ Green Version 1 Hatching Dragon that perhaps lost it’s Windstone Editions felt pad.
                            It’s not in the best condition.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                            Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                            Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                            *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

VS
                            Participant
                              pleca
                              Participant

It seems my message has banned… I found A LOT of fakes. A LOT. I have two candle dragons since 1989, a sleeping and a sitting dragon. I treasure them, they are my babies. They were VERY expensive for a candle (100 dolars each one), I was a child and it took me months (almost a year) to save enought money to buy them. Because of the extreme temperatures of this year, I began to fear they melt and looked out if they still exist, to buy another ones. Well… I discovered Melody Peña and that I have candles of male and mother dragon.

Also, I discovered dozens of fakes. Stone and wax. Ebay UK. Three spanish shops. People who claim to have make the molds. People profiting of the AMAZING work of an artist.

I don’t know how to report them without been catalogued as spam.

English is not my native language; sorry for the grammar mistakes.

etruscan
                                Participant

It seems my message has banned… I found A LOT of fakes. A LOT. I have two candle dragons since 1989, a sleeping and a sitting dragon. I treasure them, they are my babies. They were VERY expensive for a candle (100 dolars each one), I was a child and it took me months (almost a year) to save enought money to buy them. Because of the extreme temperatures of this year, I began to fear they melt and looked out if they still exist, to buy another ones. Well… I discovered Melody Peña and that I have candles of male and mother dragon.

Also, I discovered dozens of fakes. Stone and wax. Ebay UK. Three spanish shops. People who claim to have make the molds. People profiting of the AMAZING work of an artist.

I don’t know how to report them without been catalogued as spam.

Report fakes by emailing Melody’s husband John Alberti. He handles copyright issues.

john @windstoneeditions.com

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 321 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.