Reports of Fake & Knock-off Windstones and general infringements

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Reports of Fake & Knock-off Windstones and general infringements

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 321 total)
  • Author
    Pegasi1978
    Participant
      etruscan
      Participant

From the “Windstone Editions” Facebook page – a new “Knock-Off Monday” posted on February 28.

Melody says, “Knock-off Monday! How to tell if it is a knock off. If a dragon is exceptionally pudgy, It is a fake. The gypsum eyes are a giveaway too. That means it was made in a mold cast off of a finished dragon with the glass eyes in place.”

Windstone_knock-off_dragon

pipsxlch
        Participant

And the bubbles and pinholes and general sloppiness…

Mika
          Participant

Found this etsy listing for a dragon mold that looks mighty similar to a hatching emp.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/889422768

etruscan
            Participant

Found this etsy listing for a dragon mold that looks mighty similar to a hatching emp.

Did you email John (Melody’s husband)? He handles things like copyrights.

john@windstoneeditions.com

Mika
              Participant

Did you email John (Melody’s husband)? He handles things like copyrights.

john@windstoneeditions.com

Just sent him an email.

Zloy720
                Participant

Just emailed John about the same etsy sculpture you recently flagged. Lol.

Missed seeing you’d already flagged it. Oh well, better safer than sorry I guess. 😁

etruscan
                  Participant

Copy or coincidence? The hatching dinosaus/dragon cast iron bank certainly LOOKS like a modified copy of the Windstone hatching maiasaur. The dimensions of the bank match the dimensions for the dino. Photos from ebay listings:

Windstone_dinosaur_maiasaur

Windstone_possible-copy_bank

The listing for the bank has more photos. The title is – Vintage Baby Dinosaur Dragon Hatching From Egg Cast Iron Still Bank

I have emailed John, just because.

etruscan
                    Participant

What is this – good copy or abused original? The seller credits Melody as the artist but doesn’t claim that it’s a Windstone. The auction title is “Vintage 1986 Dragon Stone North HollyWood signed Pena 86 Fantasy”.

Windstone_possible-copy_dragon

Windstone_possible-copy_dragon_closeup

Windstone_possible-copy_dragon_base

Jennifer
                      Keymaster

I’d say this is a copy, and if I had to guess, I’d say it might be a resin copy. The bottom has the texture and appearance of a resin cast. The surface quality on the dragon/scales also shows resin bubbles. It’s not the worst resin cast I’ve seen but it isn’t a very good one either.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                        My art: featherdust.com

Mika
                        Participant

It’s been a while since a direct (and poorly done) recast has been spotted. That’s a pretty bad seam line on his chest scales.

etruscan
                          Participant

It’s been a while since a direct (and poorly done) recast has been spotted. That’s a pretty bad seam line on his chest scales.

I agree about the apparent seam line and the bubbles on the bottom. However, compared to a lot of copies I still think he is pretty good – the proportions are about right and he has inset eyes and a real gem (though it may be flat backed).

The dragon currently has been bid up to $172.50 (17 bids, 3 bidders, and 23 watchers) and the auction doesn’t end until Monday night. He must appeal to some dragon collectors, possibly including Windstone collectors.

etruscan
                            Participant

Melody posted this yesterday (March 27) on the “Windstone Editions” Facebook page.

Here’s some pointers to help spot a fake Windstone:
                              (The most common fakes are the Male dragon, the Mother dragon, and the Young Dragon)
                              1. Squished or bloated looking
                              2: Odd, unusual eyes and jewels. Sometimes people will change the eyes on a genuine Windstone, but be suspicious if you see them on one of our normal production pieces
                              (Genuine Pyos are often given fancy acrylic eyes)
                              3.if the bottom isn’t either signed in ink, (some pebbles were just signed, without a pad), OR aren’t stamped with the Windstone Editions stamp, OR if they have a velvety, or strange pad on the bottom, be suspicious.
                              The “copyright Pena” mark with the date on the side of the bottom doesn’t necessarily mean it’s signed, or genuine.
                              Our cement Rock dragons did not have pads, but had inset Windstone stamps in a hollow on the bottom.
                              Genuine Windstone pads are grey felt stamped with Windstone Editions.
                              4. If the piece in question has visible seam lines that indicate the piece was cast in a two piece mold, it’s fake.
                              5. If you can hold the piece and it is very light weight, it is cast resin or light weight plaster. Fake
                              6. If it is a cement casting of anything other than a rock dragon, it is most likely fake. We did make a few cement castings of other pieces, but never sold them, so they will not be found in the wild.
                              Any other pointers?

pipsxlch
                              Participant

7. Pinholes, bubbles, or a general roughness or sloppiness to the finish. (See the fake young dragon above)
                                Not to be confused with the rougher (but in a regular way, if that makes sense) finish on stone finish pieces or intentional pits or ‘scars’ on certain pieces like the prototype old warrior

Melody
                                Keymaster

What is this – good copy or abused original? The seller credits Melody as the artist but doesn’t claim that it’s a Windstone. The auction title is “Vintage 1986 Dragon Stone North HollyWood signed Pena 86 Fantasy”.

Windstone_possible-copy_dragon

Windstone_possible-copy_dragon_closeup

Windstone_possible-copy_dragon_base

fake fake fake

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 321 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.