fbpx

Not again… now it's my oldest, Snickers

Home Forums Miscellany Community Not again… now it's my oldest, Snickers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    drag0nfeathers
    Participant

Just posting finally after about an 18 hours ordeal. Got home from work last night around 9:30pm and our 1 year old Ajani was in terrible pain. Shaun & I rushed him to the emergency vet and were told he he had a blockage so he couldn’t urinate. Needless to say that is very bad, the poisons in his body can quickly make his system toxic and it’s a very unpleasant way to go. He needs surgery, which costs about $1300+, but even if we do it, it’s a very high probability he will reblock in the future. Shaun and I tried to get the credit they offered, but were declined on everything.

After crying in the emergency er for about 4 hours the vet felt bad for us was able to unblock him for the night with a means in our price range (no blood tests etc) and we are left hoping he will not reblock which is a VERY high probability. Probably only a 10% chance he will not, and if he reblocks things will be very bad. This is a chronic thing and now we are just buying him time.

Please, no matter your beliefs, just send some warm wishes his way. If he can make it the next two or three days he might survive. He’s still just a baby. I called out of work and layed with him all day while he basically peed on me all night. I don’t smell too good, but at least he’s going so I’m happy so far. The next 48 hours are crucial, but he can reblock as soon as immediately, to whenever his body feels like it so it’s just a matter of time. The likelihood he will not eventually reblock is almost nill, but he’s such a little one, I’m just not ready to day he has to get put to sleep.

I never thought I’d be at the emergency clinic being told I should put my baby kitty to sleep.

Got a busted Windstone?
      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
      Siphlophis Male Dragon
      Calypso Hatching Empress
      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
      Tattoo Mother Kirin
      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

My thoughts and best wishes are with you and Ajani. I truly hope that your kitty makes a recovery and all will be OK. Sorry that this happened.

Adaneth
      Participant

So sorry to hear the scary news! I remember when my Arun got blocked with lots of crystals, and it was terrifying. I’m really hoping you guys beat the odds. *hugs*

Misty
        Participant

Hopefully everything will work out hun! HUGS to you and your kitty.

LadyFirebird
          Participant

Sending warm and positive thoughts for you and your kitty. How heartbreaking! It’s so hard when they are sick and you want them to recover and then there is the expenses. How can you just give up? You can’t. I hope Ajani pulls through and beats the odds.

Carolyn
            Participant

I had that happen to a male cat . He was about 1 year old . I remember him peeing on me on the way to the vet . Never seemed to have a cat carrier . Good news is he lived to be 20 . So there is hope .

drag0nfeathers
              Participant

The more I think about the events of lastnight, the vet had us so convinced that he was doomed and we were cruel to try and save him. He was so bright and alert, how could she ask us to put him down? I dunno… I’m hearing a lot of positive stories about situations like this and I just hope our luck is like theirs, but I wonder why vets are sometimes just so quick to jump on the idea of euthanizing them.

… I smell like pee… I have to go take shower, but he’s sleeping now in the dog bed. He is NOT A FAN of taking the medication. I have been able to give him the antibiotic okay, but not the pain meds. He wants no part of pills. Even crushing it up, he’s getting those foam strings. They need to come up with a better way to get pets medication.

Got a busted Windstone?
                drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                Calypso Hatching Empress
                Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                Tattoo Mother Kirin
                Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

KoishiiKitty
                Participant

I am so sorry to hear that your kitty is having so much trouble.:(
                  I think some vets may be that way from seeing people who CAN’T let thier pet die even though the pet is in pain… I know I would have a lot of trouble seeing stuff like that. On the other hand…I’ve experienced vets who will do anything for the animal..even if it is a slim chance.

I don’t know if It would work, but what I do for my kitties is I crush some kitty treats, I roll the pill in the crushed kitty treats, and then i give my cats a few of the treats..holding each treat so it is above them and they have to reach for it and I can drop the treat in thier mouth. I then hold the pill the same way..which now smells like a treat, and It has worked every time. They swallow the pill just like a treat and only after they swallowed it do they realize…………that treat tasted funny.

But it’s worked every time.

KoishiiKitty
                  Participant

I just asked my mom, because it sounded familier. We had a cat that had a urine blockage. He ended up with crystals in his urine. After taking him to the vet, they were told to look into changing our cat’s diet, so we did and he didn’t have any more problems with blockage after that. She says dogfood can cause urine blockages in cats too. Our cat lasted until he died of old age.

I just asked my mom, because it sounded familier. We had a cat that had a urine blockage. He ended up with crystals in his urine. After taking him to the vet, they were told to look into changing our cat’s diet, so we did and he didn’t have any more problems with blockage after that. She says dogfood can cause urine blockages in cats too. Our cat lasted until he died of old age.

THIS. This this this. I’m still dealing with a migraine, so my head’s not really clear, but I’d swear a lot of these cases in cats are food related. See if you can find anything online; the book “The New Natural Cat” has a LOT of info on feeding for specific health conditions, and it’s helped me with two cats in renal failure. I’d swear there’s info on crystals in there too, just can’t put my hands on the book right now.

Loads of positive vibes headed your way!

Scathach
                    Participant

My heart goes out to you and your kitty. I will send all the good thoughts I can muster up tonight and over the next days for Ajani.

I have had to give my cat pills, too. The only way I can do it is to tip her head back, coax her little jaw open and drop it in. The I gently hold her mouth closed and stroke her throat. I can get her to swallow the pill 99% of the time, on the first try. Sometimes she’s sneaky and spits it out (usually once she’s feeling better and I have to finish the round of meds). Hope this helps.

Don’t give up on your baby! Just like human doctors, some vets are more optomistic than others. Change if you can.

Also, the idea of changing food can really help. I’ve been told that the lower the ash content, the less likely the food is to form crystals.

Hang in there.

Life is beautiful.

Rusti
                      Participant

What Koishii and Jolies have said.

Take him for a urinalysis at his regular vet where they can check for crystals. I remember the first cat I ever saw unblocked when I was doing my CVT externship. I wiped up the pee from the surgery table and the paper towel glittered like snow his case was SO BAD.

Almost always, after it’s been determined what sort of crystals are doing the blocking, a diet change is in order. The food will cost a little more, but it will help. Getting blocked is not necessarily a death sentence, but there will be management involved.

Within the next few days, sooner is better, see his regular vet and get him on something to help dissolve those crystals!

KaytanaPhoenix
                        Participant

I wish you and your lil one the best of luck! Some vets just don’t know jack when it comes down to it… We used to have a breed of dog that was prone to getting the equivalent of a pimple on their skin but they’d sometimes be big! ‘n they’d sometimes grow more n more without getting a head on em for a while (sooo gross!) ‘n the first time we went into the vet for it, the vet SWORE it was cancer and went through that spill… Upset us all until we went home and did our own research to find out pimple medication usually took care of them… So if its a HUGE horrible thing according to your vet, but you’re just not sure.. don’t ever.ever be afraid to get a second opinion or Google it first! ‘n if the vet seems expensive to treat it, call around, with our dogs we’ve found certain vets charge double to triple what other vets charge for certain things..

*hugs* I’m happy your lil kitty has such a loving family 🙂 Most people would have taken the vets word for it from the get go and just put him down, when it sounds like it may be very treatable!

Hoping your little kitty does well. Keep the faith.

littleironhorse
                          Participant

I’m so sorry to hear this drag0n! I do hope your kitty pulls through, it’s such a horrendous situation when you have to decide something like this.

There seems to be a lot of hope from other cat owners here so don’t despair yet!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 135 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.