fbpx

Not again… now it's my oldest, Snickers

Home Forums Miscellany Community Not again… now it's my oldest, Snickers

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Setsunawolf
    Participant

The more I think about the events of lastnight, the vet had us so convinced that he was doomed and we were cruel to try and save him. He was so bright and alert, how could she ask us to put him down? I dunno… I’m hearing a lot of positive stories about situations like this and I just hope our luck is like theirs, but I wonder why vets are sometimes just so quick to jump on the idea of euthanizing them.

… I smell like pee… I have to go take shower, but he’s sleeping now in the dog bed. He is NOT A FAN of taking the medication. I have been able to give him the antibiotic okay, but not the pain meds. He wants no part of pills. Even crushing it up, he’s getting those foam strings. They need to come up with a better way to get pets medication.

There is a liquid pain med. My vet gives it to me all the time if one of the cats needs pain meds. I can get the name for you if you want.
      If it is crystals, you will need a urinalysis. It will tell you if they are struvite or the other type. Science diet makes a prescription food both types of crystals that will help w/ keeping them from forming. I had a cat whom was plugged completely. He has surgery to unplug him. Once he switched to science diet he never plugged up again. He is currently 10 years old, and in great health. He lives w/ a friend of mine now, because Soma kept picking on him, and Nikka really wanted to be an only cat. My friend only wanted one cat-it was a great match. One of the best placements I have ever done.
      Plugged does not equal dead. It can if you can’t get the issue resolved, but it is not a death sentence.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
      Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
      Sun Dragon Koi #3

dragonshoard
      Participant

Hills Science Diet has a prescription food for urinary tract problems. Purina One also has a urinary tract formula and is a regular food. That is the one I am giving my cats because I have two and they are free-fed so it would be very hard to feed them separate foods. So far I haven’t had any more problems with the older cat (the one who had the incident). Never give a cat dog food. Dog food has no taurine which cats need because they do not make it themselves.

If your vet is willing, and you are willing, your vet may be able to provide the antibiotic in injection form. I did this for one of my cats that drooled so badly after administering the pills that she looked like she was foaming at the mouth. It is more expensive, but it will insure that the cat gets the full dose of the antibiotic.

Good luck and I hope it all works out. It is always hard, but even more so when the animal is so young.

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

All this information is amazing guys! Thank you so much!! I’ll definatly look into science diet!! I do have to say though, I do catch him eating Ein’s dogfood all the time. I just got him a new type of Iams a few days ago, Oh god, I hope that has nothing to do with it.

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Rachel
          Participant

I didn’t read all of the posts, but this is NOT a death sentence. My boy kitty had surgery to remove all of his parts, basically rerouting him like a girl. He hasn’t had ANY problems since. The cost IS about 1200-1500. BUT…there should never be blockage problems again. I still recommend using a urinary tract health food. Don’t get one with a prescription, if you can help it. You’ll only have to renew it regularly, and they’re expensive. I’ll see if I can find the brand I’ve been using. I can never remember the name. I just remember what the bag looks like.

Rachel
            Participant

I didn’t read all of the posts, but this is NOT a death sentence. My boy kitty had surgery to remove all of his parts, basically rerouting him like a girl. He hasn’t had ANY problems since. The cost IS about 1200-1500. BUT…there should never be blockage problems again. I still recommend using a urinary tract health food. Don’t get one with a prescription, if you can help it. You’ll only have to renew it regularly, and they’re expensive. I’ll see if I can find the brand I’ve been using. I can never remember the name. I just remember what the bag looks like.

Here it is: http://www.wysong.net/products/uretic-healthy-natural-cat-food.php

Wampus Dragon
              Participant

Iams can be a BAD food for male cats. I hear about problems with it concerning the whole crystals thing. The medicated Science Diet can help in the short term, but I dont recommend it for long term. It still has fillers in it that are NOT good for cats in general. Always read the ingredients. If there is corn/rice as a first ingredient then you need something better. Its not worth it to buy cheaper food in the long run because then you have the vet bills to deal with later.(its true that some cats can eat the friskies/meow mix/crap their whole lives and not have problems. But a lot of cats do and its not a good idea to keep them on it if they get crystals.)

If he’s getting it this young then I would start feeding him a high protein wet food diet. No dry food at all until it clears up. And maybe not much even after that. I recommend these brands:

Wellness
                Innova
                Nutro Natural Choice(not Nutro Max)
                Eagle Pack
                Blue Buffalo

Petsmart and Petco carries all of these brands.

EDIT: And these are the ‘tread with caution’ brands that I dont recommend to any cat owner:

Science Diet
                Iams
                Eukanuba
                Anything by Purina
                Anything cheaper than these

drag0nfeathers
                Participant

Thankyou for that info Wampus… my mind is so racked right now and i havent slept in almost 40 hours. hes been sleeping for about an hour now so i think im going to try and do the same. im still dreaading going to work tomorrow….and plz excuse mt typing. One hand here cause i got his sister sleeping on me right now,

im not glad to see this is a common problem, but im happy it seems more treatable then the vet made it out to be. thank you everyone for everything

Got a busted Windstone?
                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                  Tattoo Mother Kirin

Zelda
                  Participant

All the best to your little guy Drag0nfeathers! I have a female cat that wasn’t blocked up, but had bladder stones when she was around 1.5 years old. Like a few others users here I can recommend the Science Diet “prescription” food made for cats with urinary tract issues. It’s not particularly expensive compared to a lot of the other natural cat food brands, and it’s worked for my Loki! I don’t feed it to her exclusively – I echo Wampus’s suggestions about good high protien, low grain and filler foods. With medication and the Science Diet food Loki’s stones dissolved in a few weeks, I weaned her slowly off of the Science Diet food, and she hasn’t had any troubles since.

Another factor in kidney and urinary tract problems is water; well hydrated cats are much less likely to have issues. Just like everything else though, cats can be finicky about their water source! Loki has a little fountain just for her, with a charcoal filter in the base to catch anything icky. She still drinks out of the sink (and toilet!!!) every now and then, but prefers the fountain and is drinking more because of it. Petco sells a self-branded fountain that’s small, inexpensive compared to others, and has filters that also don’t cost an arm and a leg to replace. If you don’t have a Petco near you they sell them online too.

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

I do have one of the water fountains with the filter and all the cats do love that a lot. I lost a cat about 10 years ago because of kidney failure so I’m always making sure I have like 5 water bowls/cups around my house. Most of the cats are fine and will drink from the fountain. I have one in particular who will NOT drink from a bowl, ONLY a cup. Also, another who wants water straigh from the tap. I can’t tell you how many times I have gotten up from bed or home from work to find my faucets on.

Got a busted Windstone?
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin

Amanda
                      Participant

Poor kitty! Will pray for him for sure! My boy Sneezer never blocked, but he has had 3 UTI with crystals. The first two were years ago, 5 weeks apart. I started him on Purina One Urinary Tract Health and once Cosequin capsule a day. Didn’t have any more trouble for 5 years. He did have another mild UTI last year but I knew the signs and got him to the vet right away. I’m sure they can do something for Ajani!

There was some recent research that indicated a lot of cats blocked due to bladder infections. Since your kitty is already on antibiotics doing an urine culture now would be a waste of money. But definitely get all his antibiotics into him. Then it wouldn’t be a bad idea to check a culture a week or so later to make sure they worked You might want to ask your vet his/her opinion

Bodine
                        Participant

oh poor baby.Hope all turns out well for you both. 🙁

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Amy
                          Participant

I’m sorry to hear about your baby, Drag0n. 🙁
                            I’ve read through here, and it sounds like this could be something as simple as diet (which I know you may feel guilty for, but don’t. You didn’t know, and it certainly wasn’t on purpose. Be thankful it’s something so easily remedied 🙂 )
                            Definitely sending prayers your way, I think he definitely has a fighting chance. Don’t give up. I don’t know why your vet did, especially without offering suggestions like the people here with no veterinary training have been able to.

Kiya
                            Participant

*HUGS* I know next to nothing about sick cats, but I’m so sorry to hear of your little one’s illness. I hope it all works out! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

drag0nfeathers
                              Participant

I really hope something as simple as a diet change will fix this problem.

Got a busted Windstone?
                                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                                Calypso Hatching Empress
                                Tattoo Mother Kirin

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 135 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.