fbpx

New Batch Grab Bag Baby Unis!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Grab Bags New Batch Grab Bag Baby Unis!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 180 total)
  • Author

My good/bad/fence-sitter/devil’s advocate commentary below:

(snipped)

Regrettably, perception in some cases trumps reality and it can be hard for some people who don’t get any grab bags when they see a forum member posting multiples for a friend, neighbor, relative, spouse, etc, that got one. Rightly or wrongly, sometimes they DO question the legitimacy of the extra item.

Agreed.

Don’t get me wrong, I do understand where multi collector households are coming from, and it’s a dilemma for those in a situation where eventually the household will split (siblings, parent/child, etc.). The point of multiple collectors at one address is perfectly valid. So is the point that adults can share an inanimate object that you enjoy for its beauty, and that the whole household can enjoy that object at the same time. (For windstonefan: Obviously, they’re all yours. The boys can argue about custody when you’re gone. LOL)

With the larger grab bags, I do think a one per person limit is fair.

But a batch of 60, with 3x that number of notifications that went out? Personally, no. Sorry. That’s just way too limited a quantity, and in the interest of spreading Windstones as far & wide as possible, I’d vote for a one per household limit, even if it’s unpopular. From a business perspective, it makes sense to get them into more houses, where they’ll be seen by more people who then may decide to start a collection of their own. (Grab bags hopefully get some excited first time customers in the door, then they become addicts–I mean, repeat customers–and that’s where the money is. But you still need SOME new customers coming in for that system to work, and the GB’s are an attractive, reasonably affordable way to get a very special piece.)

Unfortunately, the current system makes it easy to cheat. Sure, plenty of people are telling the absolute truth when they post about their family’s fourth collector’s GB. But plenty aren’t, and it’s tough to fix that.

Realistically, the problem of the one per household idea is enforcement, even more so than the one per person rule. You could restrict to one per account login, computer IP address, physical address, or payment method. Or use all of the above. That’s how many companies handle it. It makes true hoarding a lot more work, but it could still happen. And those same holes would be available for a legit second household member to order from another device, under their own name, using their own Paypal, and have the package sent to work. Is that more fair? Probably not.

But life isn’t fair, as all of us grownups have had to learn. Regardless, I doubt Windstone will go that direction.

No method we can design is going to truly be “fair”. The closest I can think of is by a lottery method (which could be considered gambling in Oregon for all I know). Click the notify button by X:00 time on X day. Windstone takes that list of names when babies are ready, draws at random, and sends the lucky ones an email that gives you 24 hours to click on a customized link to place your order. That takes time zones/locations out of the equation, along with Internet speeds, etc., and requires that at least each individual has to have an account of their own. The unlucky ones get a “sorry, not this time around” email. Every individual collector theoretically has an equal shot.

Of course, now we’ve disadvantaged every person who’s never won at one of those things. LOL Just by chance, we’ll have people who miss out several times in a row, while that four collector household has managed one for every person from every batch. (In fact, multi collector families have better odds of getting at least one in the house–though again, they may fight over it in Mama’s will!)

A system like this is more work for the crew at Windstone (but way easier on the server capacity). Like the others, it’s relatively easy to work around it, so you’re still somewhat on the honor system. Overall, though, the odds should be better for each individual buyer, whether they share a house with high speed Internet or live 5,000 miles from Windstone (those folks are rarely even awake for these–talk about being at a disadvantage!) Even so, there would still be howls from those who didn’t get one.

The point is, *someone* is always left out in the cold; there’s no way around it. And there’s always the option to trade or buy from the secondary market.

My .02 worth. In today’s economy…that really is the value of an opinion on the Internet! ๐Ÿ™‚

Falcolf
    Participant

I’m glad there’s going to be another batch! Maybe I’ll be able get in on it and be lucky. ๐Ÿ™‚

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

Wow Joliesdragon, I couldn’t have worded that any better if I tried. It’s true, no matter what system it will always be somehow flawed when the customers outnumber the available product.

We need to basically all just be patient, there will be more ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Sirithiliel
        Participant

I’d be all for outright buying my dream baby from the secondary market, if it was offered. THe main problem with that is that I have never seen grab bags listed for what they sold for. Take the safari babies, they were about $130. ALl the ones I’ve seen for sale are $200. I can get away with spending the $130 since i’ve saved up for it, but at $200 I can’t afford to buy it.

I don’t know, I’ll just wait for the next batch and cross my fingers for better luck =)

Matryoshka
          Participant

Meh, there simply wasn’t enough product for demand this time round. People need to relax over that… Melody is making more! ๐Ÿ™‚ To the people who beat the odds and managed to be one of the lucky 60- congrats!

Obviously there are a few who cheat the system and order more than one for themseleves (via friends and so called “family collectors” who simply buy for the real collector) but I don’t think any system is going to be able to stop people who are being unfair like that.

I think a ‘one per household’ rule is terribly unfair on genuine collectors who may be roomies, family or what-not. And like I said- it’s still not going to stop those who are doing the wrong thing.

Regardless- I am really eager to see home photos of these 60! ๐Ÿ˜€

Matryoshka
            Participant

I’d be all for outright buying my dream baby from the secondary market, if it was offered. THe main problem with that is that I have never seen grab bags listed for what they sold for. Take the safari babies, they were about $130. ALl the ones I’ve seen for sale are $200. I can get away with spending the $130 since i’ve saved up for it, but at $200 I can’t afford to buy it.

I don’t know, I’ll just wait for the next batch and cross my fingers for better luck =)

Yeah- I hate that too ๐Ÿ™ I’m hoping to get one from the second batch! The price inflation is pretty crazy. I always set my limit at $200. Any higher is far too much for a GB for my wallet ๐Ÿ™‚

Sikek
              Participant

Foop.
                Suggestions that end up excluding people (no matter who) are going to upset people. That’s understandable.
                There were only 60, 60 people will enjoy them. I fail to see how it matters how many households that is. Assuming a family set up is a little generalised and as I think, unfair. I buy, show, trade or sell my belongings as a single person, everyone should have a right to do so.

And yes, there are more coming! ๐Ÿ™‚

Sikek
                Participant

Sorry for the double post.

Yeah- I hate that too ๐Ÿ™ I’m hoping to get one from the second batch! The price inflation is pretty crazy. I always set my limit at $200. Any higher is far too much for a GB for my wallet ๐Ÿ™‚

I hear you! The GB Youngs were before my time–I’d rather have ONE of those than yet another baby. But at those prices, it ain’t happening. Especially for the half dozen or so I like best.

And yet…

I’ll be the first to admit that if I made it a priority over other things I bought (including other Windstones), I probably could have had one. It’s really time to evaluate my collection, I think.

(and prioritize getting this pile of unpainted PYOs done and sold for whatever they’ll bring in…I went WAY overboard with those!)

Bodine
                  Participant

My .02…Windstone:don’t give any warning when they are going in the store.Still send notices out,though not with the release time in advance, but if you are not around at the time then this time you miss out.Keep us informed of what is coming out just not exactly when until they hit the store page.Just like any other pieces.We catch them when we look.
                    Members:As far as multiples in the household.My husband and I are now both members and he has a few pieces so he is a collector also.I could have asked him to get one too but I managed to get one so to me,that is enough.Personally,we will not go for another one of these unless through a second party sale so others have a chance at one.I understand completely each person collecting wanting one but I believe each collection is individual and that is part of their attraction.Each collection is unique.You might not get this one but you might get the next one.That’s how it works.I am sure if we hang around long enough collecting that we will get what we want.Mostly.LOL If I had my way I would have about 50 gb hoofers,all different,but greed can grab you and make you selfish.
                    My point is,again,to love what you have and share.It is not Windstone’s responsibility to see to it that we don’t cheat.We are adults,it is up to us to make these experiences fun and to be fair and remember others. ๐Ÿ™‚

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
                    (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                    Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Setsunawolf
                    Participant

I believe each collection is individual and that is part of their attraction.Each collection is unique.You might not get this one but you might get the next one.That’s how it works.I am sure if we hang around long enough collecting that we will get what we want.
                      My point is,again,to love what you have and share.It is not Windstone’s responsibility to see to it that we don’t cheat.We are adults,it is up to us to make these experiences fun and to be fair and remember others. ๐Ÿ™‚

These thoughts are perfect. If you are meant to own a piece, it will find it’s way into your collection. I’ve managed to acquired several OOAK pieces that I missed the initial sale date or didn’t have the money for at the time they sold. I REALLY wanted them and eventually they found their way to me, it’s the same with these guys.

We are adults, and we should respect Windstone and the rules they set up becuase really they are doing this for us. We’ve all seen what these guys go for on eBay and the secondary market, and we should really be grateful and thankful that Melody and everyone at Windstone don’t hike the price up because those eBay/secondary market prices are fair market value. If anyone should be getting those prices, it is Windstone beucase they do all the work.

We love you Melody and Winstone ๐Ÿ™‚ and THANK YOU for loving us.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                      Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                      Sun Dragon Koi #3

LadyFirebird
                      Participant

I didn’t get in on this–just too little product to satisfy huge demand. Tried but I don’t feel it’s the end of the world–it’s just fun to see if I could nab one. Melody is painting more and so I’m not worried–it’ll happen if it was meant to be. Thanks Melody for all the hard work you do in trying to please us!

Melody
                        Keymaster

Honest, I am really sorry there was such a small batch! I was thinking, “well surely everyone is sick of these by now… it will be fine”. John even said : “you think anyone will buy those?”

Scathach
                          Participant

Honest, I am really sorry there was such a small batch! I was thinking, “well surely everyone is sick of these by now… it will be fine”. John even said : “you think anyone will buy those?”

Oh, my, Melody! I can’t image being sick of your work! I’d completely understand if you got tired, though. The Grab Bags are exciting, different, and they stretch fantasy creatures to a different level.

Based on the reaction to this batch, I don’t think we’re sick of them! AND This is coming from someone who, only one year ago, was 100% convinced that unicorns “should” only be white! Ahem, I stand corrected!

With much affection

~S~

Life is beautiful.

Setsunawolf
                            Participant

Based on demand, I think you have a solid seller here. I wouldn’t worry about not being able to sell them.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                              Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                              Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 180 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.