fbpx

Need some MORE help please….anyone?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Need some MORE help please….anyone?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Hello there froum world! I need some help. I am about to embark on my very own “painting experience” πŸ˜€ But before I begin I need some help. I have Apple Barrel acrylic paints I bought from Wal-mart. Has anyone used these? I do not have a Michael’s craft store in my town and want to know if I am going to need a different brand. It will be my first PYO so I am very worried. :shrug:

If you know these will not work, please feel free to list your preferred paints. Also, any other items that may be useful for me to use. Thanks! I appreciate all the help any of you can provide! πŸ˜€ :hi: :bye:

Leigha
    Participant

I use apple barrel paints too! and the ceramcoat paints. They’re cheap and you can get them in any color! I love them. They work just fine πŸ™‚

Leigha wrote:

I use apple barrel paints too! and the ceramcoat paints. They’re cheap and you can get them in any color! I love them. They work just fine πŸ™‚

Thanks! Any more advice will be greatly appreciated!

Leigha
      Participant

The gypsum sucks up your first coat, so it helps to put on a Base Coat before you actually do your painting.

Leigha wrote:

The gypsum sucks up your first coat, so it helps to put on a Base Coat before you actually do your painting.

Thank you for adding that! I would have been very (pardon my french) P!ssed off!!! if I went to paint and I had horrible coloring! LOL πŸ™„ <——I would be doing that literally!

Leigha
        Participant

I think there are painting tutorials on the site somewhere, I’m sure I’ve seen a couple, maybe in the “new member important links” section? I’m not sure where I’ve seen them.

Hello, I found these two links in the forum to be of immense help:

http://www.windstoneeditions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2793

http://www.windstoneeditions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=363

Hope they help you and good luck with your first PYO :)! (I’m still working on mine, lol)

Kujacker
          Participant

I think Arlla uses them too. I know for sure she uses folk art paint, which is made by the same company as apple barrel. Either way, they are fine to use. I have actually turned to them and dropped my expensive liquitex brand.

Leigha
            Participant

I tried some of the golden paints, which is supposed to be a great brand, but I like the cheapy paints better for some reason….I thought the golden paints were too…plastic-y? and the cheaper paints were more…chalky? which I found was easier to work with.

I dunno, maybe I’m just weird in that way.

Amanda
              Participant

I have a sample pack of Golden that I tried to use, but I found it difficult and prefer working with the cheap Folk Art paints from Walmart.

I have a PYO question if the OP doesn’t mind 😳 I keep trying to figure out how people keep one area clean when they are working on something else-like-if you only want to antique the fur of a kirin, how do you keep from messing up your work on the scales? Do people use masking fluid on painted parts of a PYO? Or are all you guys just REALLY good at not ‘straying’ out of where you are painting?

I really appreciate all of the input. As soon as my keeper gets here…..wish me luck! πŸ˜€

Lokie
                Participant

As already been stated by everyone else, Apple Barrel is fine to use. I used it on my very first PYO (I use liquitex now). If you read the links in this thread you’ll see there is some question about craft paint’s archival abilities, but if you want to just paint PYOs recreationally, then it’s hard to justify buying expensive artist grade paints unless you have the money to burn. As for anything else you might need to know, check out Nam’s Tutorial, there’s a lot of great info there. πŸ™‚

And much luck!

I’m a Golden girl…But I also use, Liquitex, Folk Art, Van Gogh, and Windsor Newton. To me, it is more of a color thing I guess. I like the glossier finish of Golden, but sometimes, it is much easier to use the Folk Art paints. πŸ™‚ One thing I don’t stray from is my Clear Coat…ALWAYS Krylon, and it comes in matte, satin and gloss finishes.

frozendragon
                  Participant

I use Duncan Ceramic Paints.. they are more liquid and are made for ceramics.. that like to suck up the paint just like the gypsum.. and one of the really good things about them.. is if you use more thin coats they dry really flat.. so you don’t see brush strokes..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.