fbpx

LAST CALL! Swap time, everyone

Home Forums Miscellany Swaps LAST CALL! Swap time, everyone

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 152 total)
  • Author

Darn it, I missed it. πŸ™

Kyrin

pegasus4240
    Participant

painting…painting…painting…hoping it gets out of ugly, ‘what was I thinking’ stage soon…:)

-- Angie

I am finished and just waiting to ship! I hope that they like it! :0)

littleironhorse
      Participant

After my last antiquing disaster, I’m frozen in fear of trying it again πŸ™

But without antiquing, it currently looks flat and without depth. I guess I’m going to have to give it another try over the weekend.

dragonmedley
        Participant

But without antiquing, it currently looks flat and without depth. I guess I’m going to have to give it another try over the weekend.

If you want, bring him today.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Skeeterdeee
          Participant

LIH, do you seal it before you antique? When I first attempted antiquing, I sealed it first and when the antiquing didn’t look as good as I hoped I just wiped it off with a damp cloth without damaging the base coat that I worked so hard on. Don’t be afraid to experiment, that’s where some of the prettiest art comes from! πŸ™‚

siberakh1
            Participant

LIH, try sealing the piece first, then antique. I ALWAYS do that now. I work with thin layers of a paint, so when I antique and rub it off, I’d lose half of what I had painted already, which is a pain when you are using mixes of colors. I started doing that and it made all the difference (and saves me unnecessary headaches)! I might loose a little paint on the high areas now if I’m too rough with rubbing off the antiquing, but a little touch up here and there is nothing compared to having to redo everything! Don’t despair! I recall Melody stating that she seals, at least on some pieces, before she antiques (I think it was her or Jennifer I got the idea from way back when the pyos came out). Probably depends on the piece. A good layer should be fine. You don’t have to over do it with the sealant to have it work. πŸ™‚

littleironhorse
              Participant

Thanks Skeeterdeee and Siberakh. I did seal before antiquing, my problem wasn’t having paint coming off, it was antiquing NOT coming off. I think I may have waited too long before wiping it off.

Also, I went with the directions on the bottle of antiquing medium which said to mix 1:1 with acrylic paint, and I didn’t use any retarder, so that might have been a factor too. And I didn’t like using the sponge either, it didn’t work well for me.

Before I put a coat of white on my piece, I did try a few trials and I think that I’m better prepared to do it now. I’m still afraid of ruining it, but I have to give it a try! If it doesn’t work, I’ll just have to start again on a third piece! :bigsmile:

littleironhorse
                Participant

If you want, bring him today.

Thanks for the offer Sarah, but I just gave it a clear coat in preparation for my next antiquing attempt. I WILL figure it out!… or ruin another PYO trying :bigsmile:

dragonmedley
                  Participant

After the clear coat is dry, I antique with one part antiquing thingie, one part paint and one part water. I really don’t leave the solution on very long – actually, it’s on for not even a few minutes. I wipe it off with pieces of paper towel.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                    I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

littleironhorse
                    Participant

I did try the paper towels and like that a lot better than the sponge. And I will give your mix a try as well. Thanks!

If you need some help on how to antique, here is a video of how I do it.

I’m not saying it’s the BEST way to do it, but it works for me! πŸ˜›
                      I am going to try a different method on my swap piece this time. I’ll try airbrushing the paint on and wiping it off real fast. I will post how it goes.

siberakh1
                      Participant

What dragonmedley suggested. If the paint you are using is a little thicker or the antiquing fluid is, it’s not a bad idea to have a little water mixed in. I use damp (not wet) paper towels to wipe the paint off and, depending on the effect, I usually don’t leave it on very long. A few minutes at most. Only occasionally do I leave it on longer. If I want it to be darker, I antique again, or antique with a small brush to hit specific spots that didn’t work out so well, or use a fine brush to fill in indents that are shallow and won’t fill in very well.

KoishiiKitty
                        Participant

I am allllmost done with mine. Glad we had the extra time. I really like how he had turned out though. He looks like he could get up and move on his own.

Leigha
                          Participant

Started my swap piece today and hated how it was turning out, so I set it aside and started on a blank one for myself…and when I looked at the clock next it was HOURS later….truly, I meant to do my swap piece today, not a piece for myself >.<

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 152 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.