fbpx

HEY MIMI!

Home Forums Miscellany Community HEY MIMI!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

Rum fruitcake is good. Mom makes it sometimes too. I’ll ask this evening, Mimi. Mom wasn’t up by time I left for work this morning.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Rum fruitcake is good. Mom makes it sometimes too. I’ll ask this evening, Mimi. Mom wasn’t up by time I left for work this morning.

Thanks, take your time…

Maria
      Participant

Okay, Mimi, I got the recipe. She took it from the old Fanny Farmer cookbook and modified the fruit ingredients:

Cover 1 lb. of mixed candied fruit, cut small, with boiling water, let stand 2 hrs. and drain.
        3/4 cup dried currants
        1/2 cup candied citron
        1/2 cup candied pineapple
        4 oz. candied cherries
        1.5 cups chopped pecans
        (Vary as you will. The amount of fruit doesn’t make a difference.)

Set oven at 325Β° and line the pans with aluminum foil.

Sift together:
        2 cups all-purpose flour
        1/2 tsp baking soda
        1 tsp cinnamon
        1/2 tsp allspice
        1/2 tsp mace
        1/4 tsp ground cloves

Beat together:
        1/2 cup butter
        3/4 cup brown sugar
        1/2 tsp lemon extract

Stir in:
        2 eggs
        1/2 cup molasses
        1/2 cup milk

Mix it all together and bake for 1.25 hours.

And that’s that. It doesn’t keep forever either. We always eat it in a flash, and if we didn’t, it would actually go bad. πŸ˜€

Thanks so much! That recipe looks really good. I like your mom’s selection of candied fruit and nuts — I’m going to follow the recipe exactly. πŸ™‚

By the way, what size baking pans does she normally use and how many do you need? It looks like its would fit in a 8″ x 4.5″ loaf pan but I’m not sure…

Maria
        Participant

She uses normal sized bread pans, yes, and I think that recipe makes two loaves. Hope you like it! Ad lib the rum if you want rum fruit cake. Mom never really looks at the amounts. She puts in whatever she feels is right.

I prefer it without the rum so your mom’s recipe is perfect. I’ll probably give it a try next weekend (too many leftovers from Thanksgiving right now!)…

Skigod377
          Participant

mimitrek wrote:

I prefer it without the rum so your mom’s recipe is perfect. I’ll probably give it a try next weekend (too many leftovers from Thanksgiving right now!)…

Send them over here! I have not eaten!!

Maria
            Participant

skigod377 wrote:

mimitrek wrote:

Ah, look who’s back. Your vacation isn’t already over, is it?

Skigod377
              Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

mimitrek wrote:

Ah, look who’s back. Your vacation isn’t already over, is it?

Yep! I actually had a blast! Austria was not as cool as Switzerland, but it was still fun. I am a snowboard bunny KING now! I actually got better this time!!

Maria
                Participant

Oh, you’re a beginner snowboarder? You should come here when we actually get snow, because I’m only in my fourth season too. Lucked out one winter when I wrecked my arm. How much snow did Austria have?

Skigod377
                  Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Oh, you’re a beginner snowboarder? You should come here when we actually get snow, because I’m only in my fourth season too. Lucked out one winter when I wrecked my arm. How much snow did Austria have?

Not much. Less than half the lifts were open but it was less crowded that way. Not as many people to see me fall!

Maria
                    Participant

Well, if Austria doesn’t have much then Switzerland can’t feel too left-out. We’re all hoping for a miracle snow by next weekend, but fat chance…

skigod377 wrote:

mimitrek wrote:

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† *imagines Ski’s cry of horror as the Thanksgiving leftovers attack her when she opens the box 3 weeks later *

Glad you had a good time in Austria! Was the weather nice the whole time?

Skigod377
                      Participant

mimitrek wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

mimitrek wrote:

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† *imagines Ski’s cry of horror as the Thanksgiving leftovers attack her when she opens the box 3 weeks later *

ACK! That would be terrible…esp with my leftover phobia! Ugh! The weather was Swwwweeeeet! It was actually pretty warm. I am glad, too, cuz Im a sissy when it comes to the cold. How was your Thanksgiving?

skigod377 wrote:

mimitrek wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

mimitrek wrote:

ACK! That would be terrible…esp with my leftover phobia! Ugh! The weather was Swwwweeeeet! It was actually pretty warm. I am glad, too, cuz Im a sissy when it comes to the cold. How was your Thanksgiving?
                        It was pretty relaxing — went to visit my parents (they live about an hour away). I thought it would be interesting for them to try Ethiopian food so I got some from my favorite Ethiopian restaurant…but they didn’t like it at all (too radical for them!). But they made a turkey along with all of the usual things so they had plenty to eat…we all got stuffed and ended up with a lot of leftover food as usual.

The day after Thanksgiving I got re-addicted to playing Civilization 4. πŸ˜€ That’s what I’ve been doing ever since then…he he he…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.