fbpx

GB Pebble Wolves Discussion/Share Thread!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Grab Bags GB Pebble Wolves Discussion/Share Thread!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 159 total)
  • Author

Well OK heres mine……..let me know what they are!! Both have yellow/gold eyes. Both are beautiful and the pics are taken indoors, no flash, natural light from window.

100_2942
    100_2943
    100_2944
    100_2945
    100_2946

Number 2
    100_2947
    100_2948
    100_2949
    100_2950
    100_2951

Carolyn
    Participant

Mine have been shipped . Can’t wait to see them . I saw an orange eyed gray wolf and my jaw dropped . He was beautiful with orange eyes . Deep orange .

KaytanaPhoenix
      Participant

Branzy, I’d say both of yours could be either dog or wolf ๐Ÿ™‚ Depending on who wanted to see what.. I personally see wolf in the darker one, but could easily be dog too, many dogs have that kind of marking ๐Ÿ™‚ and the grey could be either wolf or husky!

Matryoshka
        Participant

Congrats, Branzy! They’re both adorable ๐Ÿ™‚

fatalbeauty
          Participant

I’d say husky for both Branzy…..though #2 could be wolf, it could be either….

4 things I'm looking for:
            1. Mother Meerkat
            2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
            3. Female Griffin โ€“ Siamese with White
            4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Falcolf
            Participant

Well OK heres mine……..let me know what they are!! Both have yellow/gold eyes. Both are beautiful and the pics are taken indoors, no flash, natural light from window.

100_2942
              100_2943
              100_2944
              100_2945
              100_2946

Number 2
              100_2947
              100_2948
              100_2949
              100_2950
              100_2951

Branzy, both of these are 100% purebred husky, if you are judging from real wolves and dogs. Wolves never have white blaze markings (white between or over eyes in a mask) on their faces or blue eyes – such markings are traits of domestic animals ONLY and are never found in pure wild animals such as wolves. Also, I’d like to make a note that most of even the wolfish huskies in the grab bag are not in fact wolves because silver (no brown in coat) is actually an extremely rare colouration amongst wolves – 80% of wolves are agouti, which is a mix of grey and reddish brown or tan (brown generally found on muzzle, ears, flanks, legs and tail.) Black wolves are more common than silver ones, as are white arctic wolves if you consider that arctic wolves as a subspecies only come in that colour. As another thing to note, ALL wolves, even black and white ones, usually have a miriad rainbow of subtle colour in their fur – they’re not just ginger or silver or black like dogs like huskies are. Also, wolves do not come in black & brown like your first husky – when they’re black, other colours are mixed into their pelts with no real definable border unless they’re elderly. (Then they look very grey.)

In general, here are some defining marking rules for telling Vladmir the wolf apart from Fido the dog:

1. Wolves do not usually have well defined white markings (unless they are alphas) and NEVER have white markings between their eyes. Their white markings usually appear quite faded into the rest of their coat. 99% of wolves DO NOT have white tail tips unless they are old. White tail tips are a common trait in huskies but most wolves instead usually have charcoal coloured tail tips and a dark spot halfway up their tail which is actually a scent gland. Wolves have multicoloured pelts.
              2. Dogs, like huskies, have extremely well defined, vivid white markings such as socks, stars and blazes on their faces. Only domesticated animals can have markings such as these (I recommend looking into the Russian silver fox experiment for an explanation of why this is) and such markings are never present in purebred, truly wild, populations.
              3. Though this obviously does not apply to these wolfies, (which are anatomically perfect btw!) a good way to tell a wolf from a dog is by its tail. Purebred wolves cannot sickle their tails (curl them in a ‘C’ shape) at all. Instead, their tails hang limp and their tail posture is quite different from dog posture when raised, wolves usually holding their tails straight out behind their haunches (this occurs particularly frequently when the animal hunting.) Also, pure wolves have small, rounded ears whereas most dogs have large pointy ones. Husky ears are very angular.
              4. Another way to tell a wolf from a dog is by its face – wolves have almost no stop where as dogs may have a very big one. A stop is the vertical distance between the top of an animal’s head above its eyes and its nose. If that sounds tricky, there’s an even easier way to tell a wolf from a dog by it’s body structure – wolves are extremely thin, lanky animals (though often covered by several inches of heavy fur) and hold their legs very close together. This is especially noticeable from the front – wolves have very narrow, deep chests whereas dogs have barrel chests and hold their feet quite far apart.
              5. The last way to tell Vladmir from Fido is, if you can, to watch him move. A wolf handler described wolves to me as ferraris, smooth, silky poetry in motion – and described dogs as moving rather like Model Ts with more jarring gaits. Excluding the sight hound breeds such as deerhounds, wolfhounds, salukis and greyhounds as examples of such dogs, wolves are faster with more endurance than your average pooch, thanks to their deep chests, big paws (which act like snow shoes in winter conditions) and long legs.

Here’s some pictures of Tuk, a purebred, rather elderly mature adult beta male wolf that I met once.

Photobucket

Notice all the colours? Tuk was a pure black wolf when he was younger. This is him going greyer.

Photobucket

Small, rounded ears.

Photobucket

Long front legs are held very close together. Large paws. Narrow chest.

Photobucket

Tail is never sickled. Wolves may have lighter tips to their tails (like Tuk’s) only if they’re elderly (like Tuk) because their tails grey out just as their muzzles do. Very straight top line.

Photobucket

Aspen – note tan/brown colouration on ears and in fur. Note black saddle on back and silver hackle marking around shoulders. Note how faded her white markings are, barely discernible from the rest of her coat. Note faint brown on top of muzzle.

Photobucket

Note minimal distance of Aspen’s stop.

Compare to siberian husky. (Images are free domain from http://www.123rf.com/stock-photo/siberian_husky.html .)

Photobucket

Beautiful classic silver husky! Note bold white markings and wide set of legs from barrel chest. Small paws. White tail tip.

Photobucket

Classic black husky! Again, markings are very bold.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Note sickling of tail. This does not occur in wolves. Note blue eyes – also uncommon in wolves. Eyes are usually amber or silver.

Please note that agouti colouration (grey & brown) DOES occur in huskies. However, it is rare compared to more desired colours such as black, silver and red.

Well, I hope this helped!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Sorry for the text wall haha, I know quite a lot on this subject. The photos of Aspen and Tuk are from an off leash photography hike that I did with them about four years back. Sadly, I didn’t have a very good camera. Their handlers (alphas!) taught me how to discern wolves from dogs and I felt that this was knowledge worth passing on. ๐Ÿ™‚ Tuk passed away last year in the summer of 2011 (RIP.) He and Aspen belong to Northern Lights Wildlife Wolf Centre in Golden, British Columbia, Canada. Aspen is actually a wolf dog but she’s so wolfish that it’s quite hard to tell that she has any pooch at all in her. The only signs she really gave that she had any dog in her at all was the very, very slight way that she sickled her tail sometimes and her shortish legs. Otherwise, her anatomy and colouring was extremely wolf.

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Bodine
              Participant

100_2942
                100_2943
                100_2944
                100_2945
                100_2946

Number 2
                100_2947
                100_2948
                100_2949
                100_2950
                100_2951

Branzy, both of these are 100% purebred husky, if you are judging from real wolves and dogs. Wolves never have white blaze markings (white between or over eyes in a mask) on their faces or blue eyes – such markings are traits of domestic animals ONLY and are never found in pure wild animals such as wolves. Also, I’d like to make a note that most of even the wolfish huskies in the grab bag are not in fact wolves because silver (no brown in coat) is actually an extremely rare colouration amongst wolves – 80% of wolves are agouti, which is a mix of grey and reddish brown or tan (brown generally found on muzzle, ears, flanks, legs and tail.) Black wolves are more common than silver ones, as are white arctic wolves if you consider that arctic wolves as a subspecies only come in that colour. As another thing to note, ALL wolves, even black and white ones, usually have a miriad rainbow of subtle colour in their fur – they’re not just ginger or silver or black like dogs like huskies are. Also, wolves do not come in black & brown like your first husky – when they’re black, other colours are mixed into their pelts with no real definable border unless they’re elderly. (Then they look very grey.)

In general, here are some defining marking rules for telling Vladmir the wolf apart from Fido the dog:

1. Wolves do not usually have well defined white markings (unless they are alphas) and NEVER have white markings between their eyes. Their white markings usually appear quite faded into the rest of their coat. 99% of wolves DO NOT have white tail tips unless they are old. White tail tips are a common trait in huskies but most wolves instead usually have charcoal coloured tail tips and a dark spot halfway up their tail which is actually a scent gland. Wolves have multicoloured pelts.
                2. Dogs, like huskies, have extremely well defined, vivid white markings such as socks, stars and blazes on their faces. Only domesticated animals can have markings such as these (I recommend looking into the Russian silver fox experiment for an explanation of why this is) and such markings are never present in purebred, truly wild, populations.
                3. Though this obviously does not apply to these wolfies, (which are anatomically perfect btw!) a good way to tell a wolf from a dog is by its tail. Purebred wolves cannot sickle their tails (curl them in a ‘C’ shape) at all. Instead, their tails hang limp and their tail posture is quite different from dog posture when raised, wolves usually holding their tails straight out behind their haunches (this occurs particularly frequently when the animal hunting.) Also, pure wolves have small, rounded ears whereas most dogs have large pointy ones. Husky ears are very angular.
                4. Another way to tell a wolf from a dog is by its face – wolves have almost no stop where as dogs may have a very big one. A stop is the vertical distance between the top of an animal’s head above its eyes and its nose. If that sounds tricky, there’s an even easier way to tell a wolf from a dog by it’s body structure – wolves are extremely thin, lanky animals (though often covered by several inches of heavy fur) and hold their legs very close together. This is especially noticeable from the front – wolves have very narrow, deep chests whereas dogs have barrel chests and hold their feet quite far apart.
                5. The last way to tell Vladmir from Fido is, if you can, to watch him move. A wolf handler described wolves to me as ferraris, smooth, silky poetry in motion – and described dogs as moving rather like Model Ts with more jarring gaits. Excluding the sight hound breeds such as deerhounds, wolfhounds, salukis and greyhounds as examples of such dogs, wolves are faster with more endurance than your average pooch, thanks to their deep chests, big paws (which act like snow shoes in winter conditions) and long legs.

Here’s some pictures of Tuk, a purebred, rather elderly mature adult beta male wolf that I met once.

Photobucket

Notice all the colours? Tuk was a pure black wolf when he was younger. This is him going greyer.

Photobucket

Small, rounded ears.

Photobucket

Long front legs are held very close together. Large paws. Narrow chest.

Photobucket

Tail is never sickled. Wolves may have lighter tips to their tails (like Tuk’s) only if they’re elderly (like Tuk) because their tails grey out just as their muzzles do. Very straight top line.

Photobucket

Aspen – note tan/brown colouration on ears and in fur. Note black saddle on back and silver hackle marking around shoulders. Note how faded her white markings are, barely discernible from the rest of her coat. Note faint brown on top of muzzle.

Photobucket

Note minimal distance of Aspen’s stop.

Compare to siberian husky. (Images are free domain from http://www.123rf.com/stock-photo/siberian_husky.html .)

Photobucket

Beautiful classic silver husky! Note bold white markings and wide set of legs from barrel chest. Small paws. White tail tip.

Photobucket

Classic black husky! Again, markings are very bold.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Note sickling of tail. This does not occur in wolves. Note blue eyes – also uncommon in wolves. Eyes are usually amber or silver.

Please note that agouti colouration (grey & brown) DOES occur in huskies. However, it is rare compared to more desired colours such as black, silver and red.

Well, I hope this helped!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Sorry for the text wall haha, I know quite a lot on this subject. The photos of Aspen and Tuk are from an off leash photography hike that I did with them about four years back. Sadly, I didn’t have a very good camera. Their handlers (alphas!) taught me how to discern wolves from dogs and I felt that this was knowledge worth passing on. ๐Ÿ™‚ Tuk passed away last year in the summer of 2011 (RIP.) He and Aspen belong to Northern Lights Wildlife Wolf Centre in Golden, British Columbia, Canada. Aspen is actually a wolf dog but she’s so wolfish that it’s quite hard to tell that she has any pooch at all in her. The only signs she really gave that she had any dog in her at all was the very, very slight way that she sickled her tail sometimes and her shortish legs. Otherwise, her anatomy and colouring was extremely wolf.

Here is Gandolf.he is a good example of the mix of the two.He has both points of the white between the eyes of the husky and he has multiple shade of colors throughout his coat.He changes shades with the seasons also.He tail does not curl tight,he LOVES the cold morning breezes and sitting outside by himself on a cool night and just sits and listens.I often wonder what he thinks about when he is like that.He is also a major pack leader,very wolf in those actions.He “polices”the others. Anybody want to give me a shot at a pebble that looks a lot like him,please contact me.
                Image and video hosting by TinyPic Branzyboo,both are beautiful!

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Thank you to everyone for the input on the type of pebble “wolves” I got and the complements that you gave. These are 2 very nice GB and I am greateful to Windstone and Melody for all the hard work.

To Falcolf….That was a boat load of very useful information for all of us not in the “Know” about husky/wolves. I grew up in British Columbia and have often seen wolves mostly on the prairies (Alberta,Manitoba) but I must say I have not payed a lot of attention to the subtle detailing. I had a fantastic experience helping a wolf and her pups in Banff National park when she (the mother) was injured by a vehicle. She had 3 pups with her and one was the most beautiful black color with the most haunting eyes. Remarkable animals!!! They were taken in by wildlife rescue and in the end all survived and went back to the wild. I did have the privledge of owning a husky/wolf cross I named Fang and he was a beautiful member of my family. He had largely the characteristics of the husky but every once in awhile he showed the wolf side. Thank you for all of that info it is much appreciated. When it comes to dogs I gotta say I am overall a Great Dane Lover!!! My “Diesel” was the love of my heart and I miss him so very much! I do understand the desire for people who love huskies or wolves to want a Windstone that is similar to their beloved animals.

I wish Melody made Pebble Danes LOL…Jet Black… white patch on chest and tips of toes…..goofy floppy ears…long rediculous tail that knocks over all the things on your coffee table (wish he could knock something over one more time for me…I wouldn’t even get mad at him and I’d let him have the ham on the counter instead of stealing it when I wasn’t looking)…..a face that says I love you so much and you are my pack…..and if you could paint a heart of gold that loves his pack kids and protects them with his life………that would be my Diesel!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™

Sorry I ramble…I miss my dog!!! Can you tell?

Falcolf
                Participant

I can absolutely tell haha! Also, pebble danes would be cute. ๐Ÿ™‚

That must have been an amazing experience! I’m quite jealous – except for the wolves at the centre, I’ve never met any in real life or even seen them in the wild and I’ve driven through the Rockies many times. If you ever want to find out good information about wolves, it’s an awesome place to go to. Their omega, Wiley, is HUGE. His paws were literally bigger than my hands. They only howled once when I was there and it was the most incredible sound that I had ever heard, somewhere between the sound of a South American flute and the cry of a loon. Epic.

Also, my GB wolf MIGHT be here but I can’t know until I can get to my post office later today – they don’t deliver door to door here! Gah!! Photos when it arrives!

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

KaytanaPhoenix
                  Participant

Just an FYI for anyone who doesn’t keep tabs on the classifieds. I currently have a GBB Uni up for trade for a pair of wolves (+monetary if a wolf or both wolves are rarer)

I’d also consider a single wolf + monetary for the uni. Go take a peek if you’d like ๐Ÿ™‚ ‘n feel free to PM me with questions or offers. I’m friendly! I promise ๐Ÿ˜€ <3

Carolyn
                    Participant

Got 2 gray ones . One lighter one , darker only a bit darker . I was hoping for a darker one at least . Oh well . I’d trade one but no one wants wants a gray one .

Leigha
                      Participant

My Wolves are here!

Sunlight, no flash

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one has metallic gold eyes

Photobucket

This one has metallic green eyes

Photobucket

With Flash

Photobucket

Photobucket

I’m not a fan of the spotty white dog/wolf, so if someone would like to trade for anything (curlie, poad, other gb, etc) let me know, I’m pretty open to any trades.

I might be keeping the little bicolored brown guy, he’s pretty ๐Ÿ™‚

Hannah
                        Participant

Squeee!! leigha you got one of my favorites! I love those white ones with the spots so much XD

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                          Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

fatalbeauty
                          Participant

Squeee!! leigha you got one of my favorites! I love those white ones with the spots so much XD

ditto on that! pretty!

4 things I'm looking for:
                            1. Mother Meerkat
                            2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                            3. Female Griffin โ€“ Siamese with White
                            4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

My Wolves are here!

This one has metallic green eyes

Photobucket

I’m not a fan of the spotty white dog/wolf, so if someone would like to trade for anything (curlie, poad, other gb, etc) let me know, I’m pretty open to any trades.

I might be keeping the little bicolored brown guy, he’s pretty ๐Ÿ™‚

Love the white with spots!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 159 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.