eBay

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Mika
    Participant

Amazon takes a big cut IIRC but you’ll have to double-check that.

Mercari seems to be a barebones BIN version of ebay, though they also use their own payment system and require the buyer to rate you in order to get your money. Also I have no idea what their commission fee is.

There just isn’t a full ebay substitute out there.

Edit: it’s literally the same for Mercari as ebay and maybe a bit worse because they have other fees depending on how you withdraw your money.

StormDancer
      Participant

I recieved the same notice from eBay 3 weeks ago. I even tried calling them to let them know that I do not have a checking account (I do but I refuse to use it for anything online) and have to have my funds sent to PayPal. I was told, “You have to open one.” When I said I will not open a checking account just for eBay I was again told ” You have to have one.” I then said, well you are now losing a long term seller over this. And I was told, “Well you need to open one now.”
        I also explained that some people need a place to send funds that may not be as easy for an abusive significant other to find. (I’ve done some work with women trying to leave abusive men and their PayPal was the only place they could hide funds that they weren’t as worried about them being found). Once again the response was “Well they will need to open a checking account for eBay.”
        Literally I felt like the gal was a broken record player as she would not say anything else nor offer any other option.
        And so I pulled my sales ads from eBay and I will not be returning as a seller unless they again allow my proceeds to be deposited into my PayPal account.
        I also looked into giving eBay my PayPal routing number but that will not be accepted by eBay either as “PayPal is not an actual bank.”

I went looking for an alternative to eBay for selling and kept coming across a site called Bonanza. I had not heard of them, but if you Google for alternatives to eBay they come up.
        With Bonanza you open a shop to list your items. The longest part of that was picking a shop name that wasnt already taken.
        Here is a link to their FAQ for their sellers page that answers questions about how to set up a shop and what their fees are…
        https://www.bonanza.com/site_help/booths_setup

Bonanza also has a way to import your seller ratings from ebay (and a few other sites) to them. It shows how many stars you have and the number of feedback left for the last 100 pages But does not show the details left by buyers. It will say that the feedback is from another site.
        As a seller starting at a new site I find it beneficial to have my 5 star rating show. It gives buyers at least some idea that I have been a good seller in the past.

You can also import you listings from a few other sites to them. I did that with one listing and it ended up taking a bit longer as those get reviewed before being put into the viewable listings which can take up to 48 hours.

Hope this helps a bit.

Looking for:
        "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Setsunawolf
        Participant

I thought this was interesting regarding eBay’s eBay migration away from PayPal.
          https://www.imrg.org/blog/why-ebay-drops-paypal/

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
          Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
          Sun Dragon Koi #3

Mika
          Participant

By taking ownership of the payment process, eBay will be better able to meet shoppers’ preferences and drive more business for the company as a result.

Yeah, I don’t think that’s working out well, though the number of people commenting on this one thread is too small of a sample size and maybe it actually is more preferred overall.
            Plus with the fees for ebay’s system currently being the same as Paypal’s there’s really no inclination to switch over.

I’ve never heard of Bonanza before but I’ll have to check it out. The fees are so much better than ebay’s and they seem to accept PayPal as a payment method so I’m already very interested in it. Thanks for providing the link for them StormDancer.

Jennifer
            Keymaster

This situation is what ultimately drove me from selling on Etsy some years ago. They required sellers to link a checking account so that they could process payments and fees automatically, while still accepting payments from buyers via Paypal (and credit card). Despite a lot of outcry from sellers like myself that would or could not switch, they never backed off from the decision. I doubt eBay will either, honestly, but no harm in voicing complaints if they are taking comments. It is a really similar situation. As for why some small-time sellers are adverse to these sorts of systems, look no further than the horror stories from some etsy sellers, the most recent one I saw effecting a few artists I know includes a glitch on etsy’s shipping where it was moving a decimal point and overcharging people by thousands of dollars, emptying their personal bank accounts and hitting them with overdraft fees. Etsy took forever to even address it… and some people waited a long time to even get partial refunds. It’s happened at least twice. In 2019: https://www.newsweek.com/etsy-sellers-charged-error-fees-thousands-billing-account-overdraft-1341192 and again this year: https://www.pcmag.com/news/decimal-point-error-etsy-overcharge-shipping-labels-thousands

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

LZ
              Participant

I had amazing luck selling a lot of my other collectibles in Facebook buy/sell/trade groups. The trouble was just finding FB groups that were large enough and active enough. Groups with just a couple hundred people don’t always get your stuff sold.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

etruscan
                Participant

I thought this was interesting regarding eBay’s eBay migration away from PayPal.

Thanks for the article. It sounds to me as though ebay is looking at the convenience of their big sellers and not thinking much about all the little ones.

LZ
                  Participant

Thanks for the article. It sounds to me as though ebay is looking at the convenience of their big sellers and not thinking much about all the little ones.

That article saying something about giving convenience to buyers by allowing more ways to pay around the world is silly, though. Paypal is a valid way to pay and get paid. Excluding Paypal as a payment recipient/checking account for sellers makes no sense.

How hard would it be for eBay to say something like, “sellers who list 50+ items a month must link a checking account?” That would be more fair to casual sellers.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

Setsunawolf
                    Participant

It’s a control aspect. eBay wants to control all aspects of the funds. It’s not necessarily best for sellers, but we all know eBay has always geared more towards buyers. I have a separate account that I keep very little money in for things like that. I transfer money into it when I need to purchase from it. That way they can’t drain my main account. I don’t do automatic payments either. Those can really mess up your account.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Ann Marie
                      Participant

I recieved the same notice from eBay 3 weeks ago. I even tried calling them to let them know that I do not have a checking account (I do but I refuse to use it for anything online) and have to have my funds sent to PayPal. I was told, “You have to open one.” When I said I will not open a checking account just for eBay I was again told ” You have to have one.” I then said, well you are now losing a long term seller over this. And I was told, “Well you need to open one now.”
                        I also explained that some people need a place to send funds that may not be as easy for an abusive significant other to find. (I’ve done some work with women trying to leave abusive men and their PayPal was the only place they could hide funds that they weren’t as worried about them being found). Once again the response was “Well they will need to open a checking account for eBay.”
                        Literally I felt like the gal was a broken record player as she would not say anything else nor offer any other option.
                        And so I pulled my sales ads from eBay and I will not be returning as a seller unless they again allow my proceeds to be deposited into my PayPal account.
                        I also looked into giving eBay my PayPal routing number but that will not be accepted by eBay either as “PayPal is not an actual bank.”

I went looking for an alternative to eBay for selling and kept coming across a site called Bonanza. I had not heard of them, but if you Google for alternatives to eBay they come up.
                        With Bonanza you open a shop to list your items. The longest part of that was picking a shop name that wasnt already taken.
                        Here is a link to their FAQ for their sellers page that answers questions about how to set up a shop and what their fees are…
                        https://www.bonanza.com/site_help/booths_setup

Bonanza also has a way to import your seller ratings from ebay (and a few other sites) to them. It shows how many stars you have and the number of feedback left for the last 100 pages But does not show the details left by buyers. It will say that the feedback is from another site.
                        As a seller starting at a new site I find it beneficial to have my 5 star rating show. It gives buyers at least some idea that I have been a good seller in the past.

You can also import you listings from a few other sites to them. I did that with one listing and it ended up taking a bit longer as those get reviewed before being put into the viewable listings which can take up to 48 hours.

Hope this helps a bit.

I’ve also found Windstone items on Poshmark and Mercari. Very few listings on each though. I’m not a seller and so far have not bought anything on Mercari, but my only Windstone experience on Poshmark was terrible. The seller did not know how to safely package the items and put multiple items in one box, with only brown paper separating them. Lots of damage. I was too inexperienced a buyer at the time to ask about how the items would be packaged.

Magentas-Cat

fatalbeauty
                        Participant

I think I’ll just stick the Windstone Facebook groups and the Windstone Classifieds…..I’ll shop on Ebay but I don’t think I’ll ever sell again…..

4 things I'm looking for:
                          1. Mother Meerkat
                          2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                          3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                          4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

drag0nfeathers
                          Participant

Yea this hasn’t hit me quite yet but I’m waiting for it. I have some things on ebay, mostly stuff I sell for my brother. Old Star wars toys and stuff. Windstone-wise I’ve been using the Facebook group or the classifieds ads. I rarely sell a windstone on ebay these days. The fees are just too crazy for it to be worthwhile and at this point I’ve established enough of a relationship with the Windstone community that I think it’s pretty safe to say I’m not gonna take your money and run.

This restructure has been a long time coming. When ebay bought Paypal they got into a lot of legal trouble for “double dipping” Basically charging a fee to list an item and a fee to sell the item (ebay), a then fee to receive payment for the item that you sold (paypal, via ebay) All this is, is a way to circumvent the legalities and for ebay keep everything under as much control as possible and ensure their continued profitability.

When it was JUST ebay I’m sure they were making crazy cash and now competition is making it harder for them maintain their shareholders. Now there is etsy, poshmark, Ubid, Bonanza, dealdash and hundreds of other competitors that charge a lot less for their services.

Got a busted Windstone?
                            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                            Siphlophis Male Dragon
                            Calypso Hatching Empress
                            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                            Tattoo Mother Kirin
                            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

pipsxlch
                            Participant

I find the ‘international convenience’ idea rather ludicrous. I deal a fair bit with people in other countries (mostly in Europe), and we all use PayPal with no issues. Sure there’s a currency conversion fee, there will be anywhere I bet. Nobody that I deal with has had complaints, and we all get paid almost instantly. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Nightcrow
                              Participant

Wow, that’s crazy! I mean, they own Paypal; isn’t that enough control? It sounds like another excuse to raise fees.

I have bought an item off Mercari (a Breyer horse, not a Windstone) and found it was easy and the transaction wnt fine, though Mercari sends me WAY too many emails. Maybe I’ll start shopping there more.

No Facebook for me, though – I’m not willing to hand over that much personal information to a company that’s had multiple large-scale privacy breaches and basically done nothing about it, even if the info doesn’t include my checking account number!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Setsunawolf
                                Participant

I remember a time when people were angry that eBay only took PayPal. They wanted eBay to implement other forms of payment because they didn’t want to open a PayPal account.
                                  Now, I do think eBay should allow people to deposit their sales into their PayPal accounts of that is how they want to get Paid. If there is a concern over refunds on eBay from the company, they could implement a delayed deposit option. It will make people mad, but still maybe a better option than not allowing sellers to utilize PayPal.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.