I was asked about our reject pieces by “Nakase” in a thread on the Windstone forum:
I have been whining about how much trouble we have been having with the gypsum lately, so here are a few photos of what we are dealing with.
I tried to photo the more subtle defects that these pieces are having, but I couldn’t get the camera to focus that tightly. Many of the defects we get on these are often almost microscopic, but they show up under the paint. It is really frustrating to find tiny defects after the piece is completely finished.
(On the bright side, I’ll never run out of raffle prizes!)
Here is a photo of the hundreds of bad pieces we have. Some of these are usable, but most are not.
This looks worse than it really is though; John was intentionally trying to make bad castings as a way to help isolate the problem. That’s why we have ended up with carts and carts of bad pieces, but we still are getting far to many bad pieces when we try to cast good ones.
Since I couldn’t photo the tiny defects, I posted a photo here of some very obvious holes that make the piece unusable on the chest of an Oriental dragon. There are so many holes on this one, it would be impossible to patch this piece.
Another photo of the neck of a Male dragon shows the sort of holes that we can and do fix.
We need a priest to exorcise the casting department!