fbpx

Windstone or curio?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Windstone or curio?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

The Castle [Dave wrote:

“]

DROGO wrote:

Yeh, right now they are in the bookcase I store my first editions. It’s kinda dark in there, so I can hardly see them…especially my BG OW…I just see his blue eyballs hovering…kinda creepy:)

My vote is: Go for the curio!

I don’t know what it is about book-cases, but they seem to attract dust. That’s okay on books; you can just slam them together once a year. If you try that with Windstones you’d be crying.

So on a bookshelf you need to keep your Windstones regularly dusted. Every time you pick up a statue to dust it you are taking the risk of dropping it or otherwise damaging it. If you don’t dust it the dust will eventually become chemically attached to the paint, at which point you may have to lick it off (I’m not kidding. Look up how to clean the surface of an acrylic painting. OK, I am kidding about you actually cat-washing your Windstones, but the principle is sound nontheless).

An enclosed curio cabinet is the ideal place for your Windstones. Buy two similar ones if you can get a good deal. Eventually you’ll need two.

…but I cat-lick my Windstones all the time…oh, thats not normal…nevermind… 😳

Speaking of crashing glass shelves though, I’m kinda paranoid about putting my Windstones on glass shelves now, especially the heavy pieces. Here’s why: just a couple of months ago (before the Windstone maddness)I was transfering my collection of Lord of the Rings busts into a “new” curio. Suddenly, I hear a loud CRACK sound! Luckly I was just right there when a line through the middle of the shelf appeared out of nowhere, and I propped the shelf up with my forearm just as it collapsed with all the busts on it! If you have glass shelves make sure you know what weight they will support from the manufacturer, and do not overload, but always load less then their limit! 😯 I must admit cringing when I see some of your collections in the curios πŸ˜€

I’ve also had an entire bookshelf fall on me because it wasn’t secured to the wall, and being a dumbass I loaded the upper shelves first! πŸ˜•

Castle, my bookshelves have doors on them. One is a barraster, and another is REALLY cool looking one that I got for cheap! It’s from the late30’s early 40’s. I have to take care of my books because they’re mostly signed first editions, and a number are more valuable than the SK’s! Just this last weekend I found a first edition, first state James and the Giant Peach! πŸ˜›

DROGO wrote:

my bookshelves have doors on them. One is a barraster

I’d love to have one or more of those! I too have lots of valuable first editions, but I keep them (at the moment) in boxes so I don’t have to protect them from dust and light. Problem is that I didn’t label the boxes well. This plays havoc with my re-reading, which tends to be what I find, rather than what I am looking for.

Bob

lamortefille wrote:

The Castle [Dave wrote:

“] Eventually you’ll need two.

or three…or four… πŸ˜†
      AMEN I have 2 and need a 3rd

Brian
      Participant

Thanks. I am starting to look for a new one.

Nice, but, I’m sure the shipping would be astronomical! (But, maybe if the dollar keeps rising I’ll be able to afford it.)

The Castle [Dave wrote:

“]

DROGO wrote:

my bookshelves have doors on them. One is a barraster

I’d love to have one or more of those! I too have lots of valuable first editions, but I keep them (at the moment) in boxes so I don’t have to protect them from dust and light. Problem is that I didn’t label the boxes well. This plays havoc with my re-reading, which tends to be what I find, rather than what I am looking for.

Check estate sales around your area. I ONLY buy on the last day…and sometimes I luck out. My barraster is “supposedly” from the late 1800’s. The hardware on them is awesome. It’s only one level, but has 4 drawers inderneath. My wife stores her photography collection in it.

Bob

vapordragon wrote:

Thanks. I am starting to look for a new one.
          Let us know if you get one. I do not remember the shipping being very high. I tried to get one delivered on credit but at the time they would not approve a card for me. I think they have wharehouses all over for delivery purposes. It NEVER hurts to ask
          The people I was working with where also VERY VERY nice

Alot of the curios do have free shipping if you are in the 48 lower states. I’m not, so I’m sure it would be at least another few hundred for shipping. I tried ordering one to see but it wouldn’t give me a different shipping quote so, they’d probably email after the sale to give a shipping quote.

I forgot there is a Bad Boy that just opened up in KW. Maybe I’ll check it out.

Bob

Romeodanny wrote:

Alot of the curios do have free shipping if you are in the 48 lower states. I’m not, so I’m sure it would be at least another few hundred for shipping. I tried ordering one to see but it wouldn’t give me a different shipping quote so, they’d probably email after the sale to give a shipping quote.

I forgot there is a Bad Boy that just opened up in KW. Maybe I’ll check it out.
            What is a Bad Boy??

I was just checking out the curio site and alot of the curios say free shipping??

Bad Boy is a chain of furniture stores. They are supposed to be cheaper.

And yes they do say free shipping for alot of the curios but, only in the lower 48 states.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.