fbpx

Windstone Graveyard

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Windstone Graveyard

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    pipsxlch
    Participant

Hmm, maybe the grab bag is a bad idea, although I thought the pieces would have to have the bottoms engraved with ‘factory 2nds’ (or whatever) on the bottoms under the pads, maybe even on the sides by the Pena stamp before they’re painted. It would be harder to gloss over engraving, but not that much harder.

Nam, I do have one special piece that i think would fit your question. I have one of the prototype empea OWs. I paid $600-$700 for him after shipping. WIth all the squeaks for empea OWs before they came out (and after those auctions), I probably could have sold him for a pretty penny then. Now that they’re a production piece, his objective value would be far less. Does it bother me that they were released as production, and now there are hundreds or thousands, not just 10? No, not really. Alhough it is in the back of my mind that Windstones represent a potential investment, and I have bought them sometimes strictly for resale *eyes peacock family on shelf by computer they need to go* and sold personal pieces when I needed to, I buy them because I love them. It discloses in the auction that any and all test paints may become production, so I wasn’t blindsided when the production empeas came out. I wasn’t upset because I didn’t buy mine as an investment, but because I was impressed by it and could at the time afford to. I just consider myself blessed in that something I love can still make me something when I need it to in resale.
      I have a few other rarish pieces- old green emperor, fledge, curl. Would I be upset if they did an LP run on the emp, or released a bunch more of the fledges and curls? Nope, I bought them for me, and they’re worth as much to me of they’re one of millions or OOAK.

Barbara
      Participant

Interesting question as to special. When I buy pieces (not often these days) it is because I like it and want it. No resale in mind. It was a thrill to add pieces to my collection that Melody had signed. That adds value to basically just me & other “real” collectors. It would be nice if Windstone could work out a feasible way to sell some of those ‘dent & ding’ pieces at reasonable prices to those of who drool over them. πŸ™‚

One day, I will get one of the those teal-eyed copper patina beauties!

Tyrrlin
        Participant

*delurks*

As for the investment thought process- I buy the pieces I want (if I can) because I want to. Investment opportunity is a nice idea, but it’s *never* a guarantee. Seeing that some people are now having difficulties reselling some of their pieces, I’m glad I’m able to hold on to the ones I have. (and I’d LOVE to buy some of those re-sells, but I just can’t afford to πŸ˜› )

Hmm, slightly rambly, but my point is to buy a Windstone because you like it and want to display it, not as an investment.

*relurks*

Windstone collector in remission. πŸ˜‰

PurpleTurtle
          Participant

Tyrrlin wrote:

*delurks*

As for the investment thought process- I buy the pieces I want (if I can) because I want to. Investment opportunity is a nice idea, but it’s *never* a guarantee. Seeing that some people are now having difficulties reselling some of their pieces, I’m glad I’m able to hold on to the ones I have. (and I’d LOVE to buy some of those re-sells, but I just can’t afford to πŸ˜› )

Hmm, slightly rambly, but my point is to buy a Windstone because you like it and want to display it, not as an investment.

*relurks*
            I totally agree with you. I never bought a Windstone (other than a PYO) with the intent to resell it. I buy the ones I really, really like (because that is what I can barely afford) and display them. I have only sold one non-pyo Windstone, and that was only because I discovered I really didn’t like it as much as I thought I would. I only made a little bit of profit on it – maybe 5 bucks, but I was mostly trying to get back what i paid for it. I have a few special Limited Production pieces I could resell if I really needed to, but in this economy I doubt I get what they are now valued at. I’m not even sure how value of a Windstone is officially determined . Anyways, blah, blah, blah…

Anonymous

::stands up, clears throat::: πŸ˜‰ I just noticed this thread, and read it from beginning to now.

Windstones are gifts, to give or keep – treasured objects de’art to enjoy for years to come. I am an eBay junkie, and I can’t look at something without attaching a price to it – whether I walk thru a junk shop or antique store, or even the mall. My mind works in the resale mode.

I buy Windstones for myself or to give to people. I have bought many in my life, and resold the same – used to be at a profit, so I could buy the next thing I loved even more than the first. I don’t have a lot of money, so I pick and choose carefully for gifting or keeping but I want to know that I can get back what I’ve invested, when the time comes that I have to resell (whether for needing money or to buy something new). I know other people feel this way too. And if I were to have bought a LP eBay piece, and spent $600. for it (or more!) and in a year because others on the forum wished they could have won it or loved it so much and begged for one – I would be fire-angry to see the same design went into the store for a fraction of the price. But I would never ever pay that much for it to begin with (therefore I have no right to reply here or get angry LOL). A $200. piece is a substantial investment for a person like myself. It’s good those LP eBay pieces come usually with a beautiful drawing and are hand-signed. However, the more pieces that are hand-signed, the less that would mean to a person like myself. I remember when the Wind Wizards were the only hand-signed pieces, and they were very special and very expensive.

I wouldn’t like sparkly dragons (lol).
              Damaged pieces seem to work well as give-aways during the raffle times but it would be nice if Windstone could make money from them rather than toss them in dumpsters πŸ™ I’m sure the forum people cringe at that thought LOL. Everyone had valid issues as to how it may not work – I can’t contribute any thoughts to the matter :sigh: Maybe use marbles for eyes and leave all the heads unpainted LOL Sorry it was a funny thought. Hmm, maybe all the eyes of these dumpster sculpts could be filled in with clay completely, with painted eye features; that may be impossible to mimick – and they could be stamped second-hand-dumpster-sculpts LOL Those should not be worth more than the original productions, and sold as ‘reclaimed sculpts’. Portion of proceeds to a charity…..yeah

Or not.
              πŸ™‚

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.